Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    No, I always fight single mobs, unless a few of them aggro me. This is because of my own preference, that I don't want to dominate an area, if somebody else arrives there are mobs wandering around unclaimed, which they can fight. Also under TOS there is a monster domination clause, which while being somewhat vague, discourages players from mass-pulling mobs, especially on solo.
    I do AoE pull, but I try not to pull strays away from soloers going 1v1 and I try not to aoe near other people's packs. Zi'tah is packed enough and respawns fast enough, there's enough for 2-3 groups to aoe pull. If I see you killing one mob with one near you, i'll do my best to kite around you so I don't pick up your probable next target.

I like your bionic super THF story.
    (0)

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I thought of another set of ideas: Apex Imps with increased magic defense. Would be a bit more challenging than apex colibri, and not as ideal, but could be more fun now that melee have more ways to deal with their pesky moves. Breaking their horns would be easier now.

The other was apex jnun. Despite the lower exp they provided, I used to love fighting these in Caedarva Mire. They were very squishy and took increased slashing damage. Again, these would have increased M Defense.
    (1)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cengeal View Post
    I thought of another set of ideas: Apex Imps with increased magic defense. Would be a bit more challenging than apex colibri, and not as ideal, but could be more fun now that melee have more ways to deal with their pesky moves. Breaking their horns would be easier now.

The other was apex jnun. Despite the lower exp they provided, I used to love fighting these in Caedarva Mire. They were very squishy and took increased slashing damage. Again, these would have increased M Defense.
    How about "Apex monster that shifts its vulnerability between blunt, piercing/ranged, slashing, and magic, has a lot of HP, and gives a lot of CP, the combination of high CP per kill and rotating weakness meaning we're forcing you to bring a somewhat balanced party set up."

I mean, if I can get... What? 30 job points per minute on DNC with my eyes closed, make a monster with rotating weakness like that, give it roughly 250kHP, make it give 20 or 30 KCP per kill before bonuses (Honestly not sure what most stuff gives anymore as a base).

Party DPS will be reduced since you can't bring all the same exact thing, and the split between damage types means you'd need a more diverse party composition. The HP is not dramatically increased over other Apex mobs (I think they tend to have about half that), but the high HP combined with low overall DPS due to rotating weakness means they would take several times as long to kill. Adjust the CP accordingly, then add a bonus on top of that as a reward for bringing jobs along that no one likes for damage types. You now have an Apex mob that demands you bring melees, and rewards the party with higher CP/time for it.

Or instead of rotating weakness, make the damage from any single type go down the more of it is dealt relative to other damage types.

There's tons of things they could do that would incentivize diverse party set ups and melee inclusion. This specific example of an idea might not be entirely thought out, as I've not given it intensive, deep consideration, but I think it's better than most other choices.

I understand people might be pissed at the... not VW-y feeling, but the "you're forcing us to play X style" aspect.
    (0)

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by machini View Post
    How about "Apex monster that shifts its vulnerability between blunt, piercing/ranged, slashing, and magic, has a lot of HP, and gives a lot of CP, the combination of high CP per kill and rotating weakness meaning we're forcing you to bring a somewhat balanced party set up."

I mean, if I can get... What? 30 job points per minute on DNC with my eyes closed, make a monster with rotating weakness like that, give it roughly 250kHP, make it give 20 or 30 KCP per kill before bonuses (Honestly not sure what most stuff gives anymore as a base).

Party DPS will be reduced since you can't bring all the same exact thing, and the split between damage types means you'd need a more diverse party composition. The HP is not dramatically increased over other Apex mobs (I think they tend to have about half that), but the high HP combined with low overall DPS due to rotating weakness means they would take several times as long to kill. Adjust the CP accordingly, then add a bonus on top of that as a reward for bringing jobs along that no one likes for damage types. You now have an Apex mob that demands you bring melees, and rewards the party with higher CP/time for it.

Or instead of rotating weakness, make the damage from any single type go down the more of it is dealt relative to other damage types.

There's tons of things they could do that would incentivize diverse party set ups and melee inclusion. This specific example of an idea might not be entirely thought out, as I've not given it intensive, deep consideration, but I think it's better than most other choices.

I understand people might be pissed at the... not VW-y feeling, but the "you're forcing us to play X style" aspect.
    I love the idea of the rotating weakness for a regular monster that gives a lot of CP. But if it absorbed damage it wasn't weak to (which is probably what SE would do) would make it pointless. This would be a great idea, and would definitely allow job diversity in a party. Or at least encourage jobs to do things outside of the norm.
    (0)

Character
    Andrewviii
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    If I still needed Job points I would just do them in reisenjima. At least that way you get silt and augment stones.
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cengeal View Post
    I love the idea of the rotating weakness for a regular monster that gives a lot of CP. But if it absorbed damage it wasn't weak to (which is probably what SE would do) would make it pointless. This would be a great idea, and would definitely allow job diversity in a party. Or at least encourage jobs to do things outside of the norm.
    What would probably work best is "Monster takes severely reduced damage from everything except ______ damage type, which changes between blunt, slashing, piercing/ranged, and magic. The relatively higher HP of this monster compared to other Apex monsters, combined with the rotating damage resistance mean that it will take significantly longer to kill, perhaps 3-4 times as long. Therefore it gives proportionately more Capacity Points when killed, with an additional bonus on top of that for the fact that you actually have to have a 'more balanced' party set up, which encourages jobs that would never get brought to come out."

This isn't rocket surgery.
    (0)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Your hypothetical monster sounds awful to fight and would just be ignored. Does anybody actually enjoy Temperance fights?

Also, is the 65536 CP/mob an actual cap or a display thing? Because if it's a real cap then there's no way anybody would pick your mob over existing mobs.

Maybe it IS rocket surgery.
    (0)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    It sort of is rocket science, i mean think about it, yes they just copy/paste and raise some stats, but realistically, how many hundreds of mobs have been added to adoulin areas that have never, or essentially never been fought.

Every 10 mobs designed, only the least annoying one is going to be bothered with. And if ALL 10 are more annoying than the previous best mob, well good job, you completely wasted your time.

No one, is ever going to kill an Apex Gargouille. No one is ever going to kill an Apex Dvrgr, or essentially ANY of the inner ra'kaz Apex. (now I know that you're a snowflake and you're going to say "but i kill them all the time, im awesome!" good for you, no one cares.)

Every single enemy in a zone, may as well be an Apex Crab. If it's more annoying than the crab is, no ones ever gonna touch it, unless they're desperate, or doing some kind of quest(RoE maybe) involving them.
    (1)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    Your hypothetical monster sounds awful to fight and would just be ignored. Does anybody actually enjoy Temperance fights?

Also, is the 65536 CP/mob an actual cap or a display thing? Because if it's a real cap then there's no way anybody would pick your mob over existing mobs.

Maybe it IS rocket surgery.
    Of course it's awful if you're one of those people who will only use the absolute laziest strategies for everything.
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Seriously, what is hard about it? Other than the fact you can do neat stuff like have RDM in demand, since it can do slashing and magic, or WAR since they can do blunt, slashing, and piercing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
    (0)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast