Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

The reason ffxi will never, ever have server merges

So, as someone that plays this and ffxiv I would just like to point out to people continually asking when then will do merges why it will never, ever happen.

First on ffxiv, on this game there is a massive shortage of bank space, that is made worse with each update adding more and more gear. On that game you have to buy extra bank space in the form of retainers. Since people buy these for that purpose, Square have no reason to add more bank space and so they don't. That forces people who don't agree with it to do the same, which gives them less and less incentive to ever add any.

Now to the server merge issue:

The company sells server transfers, people pay money to transfer servers. They are even offering transfer server sales of 50% off right now, when a lot of servers are complete ghost towns. The same is happening on XIV, people pay for transfers from the dead servers, which gives them zero incentive to actually pay money to fix the problem.

So there you go, if you are unhappy with how dead your server is you need to take advantage of the current sale on server transfers. They are never, ever going to do a merge again because it's a means of profit as opposed to a large cost.

Stop asking when and get out your credit card or forever wait, just some helpful advice.
    (0)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Not really all that helpful, if you ask me. Very few people use world transfers, and you're talking a few hundred dollars profit, maybe a few thousand for them as far as FFXI is concerned. They are not going to hold us for ransom for such little money. They said they were simply waiting to see whether or not hundreds of thousands of people would care to come back to a game they quit just to witness it's ending(well, that's not a quote, but that's what they meant). As far as I can tell, it did not happen.

A true reason if they never merge, would be because of the way they have implemented TRUST, and the issues congestion would cause after a merge. But I suspect they will merge, because even though I have no problem believing they wish this PS2 console game would die already, they aren't fools. They'll milk it dry to the last few thousand players before they shut it down in a few years now that they finally got their wish on ending content additions. They can move all five devs over to new exciting projects that won't make them any money!
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Vold View Post
    Not really all that helpful, if you ask me. Very few people use world transfers, and you're talking a few hundred dollars profit, maybe a few thousand for them as far as FFXI is concerned. They are not going to hold us for ransom for such little money. They said they were simply waiting to see whether or not hundreds of thousands of people would care to come back to a game they quit just to witness it's ending(well, that's not a quote, but that's what they meant). As far as I can tell, it did not happen.

A true reason if they never merge, would be because of the way they have implemented TRUST, and the issues congestion would cause after a merge. But I suspect they will merge, because even though I have no problem believing they wish this PS2 console game would die already, they aren't fools. They'll milk it dry to the last few thousand players before they shut it down in a few years now that they finally got their wish on ending content additions. They can move all five devs over to new exciting projects that won't make them any money!
    No it's because they make money, not just the weekly amount it's over years.

They are having a server transfer sale, does that not tell you everything you need to know? I just got an email from them telling me about the wonderful server transfer sale and to buy now!

If you want to keep waiting then feel free but it's is never, ever going to happen here or on xiv and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    They were selling server transfers in 2011. Why did the merge servers then?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    They were selling server transfers in 2011. Why did the merge servers then?
    Precisely.

When is becomes cost effective to do so, SE will merge. Eventually, years out I can see everyone on one server.....here's to hoping its Phoenix lol.
    (2)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    When money made from server transfers over the course of a year < cost to run 3-4 servers for a year, you aer better off merging 8 servers down 4. It really is simple math...

Server maintenance is expensive. In between parts, electricity, and man power to keep them running, less is more.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by peculiar View Post
    So, as someone that plays this and ffxiv I would just like to point out to people continually asking when then will do merges why it will never, ever happen.

First on ffxiv, on this game there is a massive shortage of bank space, that is made worse with each update adding more and more gear. On that game you have to buy extra bank space in the form of retainers. Since people buy these for that purpose, Square have no reason to add more bank space and so they don't. That forces people who don't agree with it to do the same, which gives them less and less incentive to ever add any.
    Not sure what this has to do with FFXI server mergers. You're discussing a completely different system on a different game, and don't even attempt to tie it to your topic.

Quote Originally Posted by peculiar View Post
    Now to the server merge issue:

The company sells server transfers, people pay money to transfer servers. They are even offering transfer server sales of 50% off right now, when a lot of servers are complete ghost towns. The same is happening on XIV, people pay for transfers from the dead servers, which gives them zero incentive to actually pay money to fix the problem.

So there you go, if you are unhappy with how dead your server is you need to take advantage of the current sale on server transfers. They are never, ever going to do a merge again because it's a means of profit as opposed to a large cost.

Stop asking when and get out your credit card or forever wait, just some helpful advice.
    Just wondering if you've played any other MMOs? They all typically charge a fee to change servers, and all of them, as the game losses population and winds down, merge servers. They're offering a sales on server transfers now to get the last bit of money from people before server mergers. By lowering prices, people are encouraged to transfer to more populated servers, then when transfers slow down, the data they've collected on server population will determine which servers they will merge. As someone else pointed out, servers are a cost of business, and when the server population reaches a certain lower threshold, it is no longer financially feasible to maintain and keep them up.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    What's the point of this thread? I don't see any purpose other than to rain on people's parades. It says nothing helpful, meaningful, or useful. SE has already said they will be looking at the server situation after the end of console service. That doesn't mean they will do it, but it doesn't mean they won't either. Regardless, if people want something, there's no harm in simply asking for it.
    (1)

Character
    Astronema
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    What's the point of this thread? I don't see any purpose other than to rain on people's parades. It says nothing helpful, meaningful, or useful. SE has already said they will be looking at the server situation after the end of console service. That doesn't mean they will do it, but it doesn't mean they won't either. Regardless, if people want something, there's no harm in simply asking for it.
    I second that about the no harm in asking and about the point of this thread.

Posting all the pro's and cons of server merging, posting about if they will or will not merge ever, and above all else, telling people to stop making threads of asking for a server merge and whipping out a credit card for a transfer will not stop people from continuing to ask if they can have a merge.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by okugi View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with FFXI server mergers. You're discussing a completely different system on a different game, and don't even attempt to tie it to your topic.

Just wondering if you've played any other MMOs? They all typically charge a fee to change servers, and all of them, as the game losses population and winds down, merge servers. They're offering a sales on server transfers now to get the last bit of money from people before server mergers. By lowering prices, people are encouraged to transfer to more populated servers, then when transfers slow down, the data they've collected on server population will determine which servers they will merge. As someone else pointed out, servers are a cost of business, and when the server population reaches a certain lower threshold, it is no longer financially feasible to maintain and keep them up.

It shows that it is company policy to put micro transactions above the health of the game.

After 4? years of people asking for merges you would think they would of got it by now. You barely see anyone at all anymore when you walk around on ffxi and many xiv servers are barren, the servers are as bad as you can get it's still not happening.

I'm telling people how it is, if they choose to disagree and still keep hoping. Enjoy I guess!
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast