Character
    Novasilex
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

What do we know about the new mobile client?

I'm interested in finding out as much as possible about the new worldwide mobile client coming out for FFXI? So far, from what I have read these are the things I know (please correct me if this is not right):

- The mobile client is being built because of the difficulty with developing/maintaining the PS2 Devkit current FFXI and also to suit the future Japanese market for MMO gaming

- The mobile client will start with fresh servers that will not allow current players to transfer.

- The new servers will have the vanilla, Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia expansions from the start and will gradually expand to include the other scenarios/expansions with time, up to the current Rhapsodies content.

- It may or may not be possible to include new content on this platform

- It will be developed by the Korean branch of Nexon Corporation, but overseen by SE.

- It's planned to be released in 2016, next year.

- It will launch worldwide, although we don't know how the game will be monetized yet.

What I would be very interested to learn is whether it will be possible to play on these servers using a PC client, or is there a way to port the client to PC to allow for keyboards? Also, if there is anything else I have not listed please be sure to add it to the thread.
    (0)

Why does the dream world feel more real?

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Silex View Post
    - It may or may not be possible to include new content on this platform
    Of course it will be possible. They are re-writing the client from the ground up; and the back-end servers to support the new client for a mobile environment. The question is do they want to add new content?

Quote Originally Posted by Silex View Post
    - It will launch worldwide, although we don't know how the game will be monetized yet.
    As this is a mobile platform, it screams micro-transactions; probably some new kind of in-game currency that can only be purchased with real money (similar to FF Grand Masters). No doubt this will unlock content; or allow immediate repeat attempts at content. While this is just a guess - it seems like a solid guess based on the current mobile market.
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'd be ok with microtransactions if its done like record keeper and grandmasters, I'm happy with that system, the currency is fairly easy to get in game and I've never felt the need to buy currency (though I have once or twice to support the game). Those games are on my cash shop whitelist.

If SE hasn't learned their lesson and do something like final fantasy all the bravest or FFXIV cash shop, it's going on the cash shop blacklist, meaning I'll never use their cash shop and may not play the game depending on how bad it gets.
    (0)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    We know that it is a mobile game and that's all we need bother knowing about it. Mobile games are very restricted on design and function. They are pure cash in games for the average smartphone owner to play with one finger. Really, it's not worth your time to consider, but your opinion of what you do with your time matters more than how I think you should spend it, so make the call. Just don't expect to fire up that mobile game and see FFXI as you know it. Maybe the similarity will be enough for fans.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

It's not just starting fresh, it's an entirely new client and server that are incompatible with the current ones, so it's going to be a seperate ecosystem.

Nexon of Korea only does microtransaction games, and they do so by doing a seperate currency you can only buy with real money, and then having a different currency you earn by playing. Some items are only buyable with the currency from real money. Look at Combat Arms, Dungeon Fighter Online, and Maple Story for reference.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Sephiran
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...t_ffxi_mobile/

Old, but makes note of the presentation text regarding intent of making mobile FFXI look just like desktop FFXI. Also, consider this: SE exported assets from FFXI to the DS remake of FFIV. They then ported that to mobile and later to PC. Basically, those assets moved in a cycle from and to PC. They can totally port the mobile client to PC.
    (0)