Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Best controller for FFXI (2015)

As the title suggests. What is the best controller you can get specific to this game under windows 10.

I have tried using both the DS3 and Xbox360 wired controllers and I always get stuck with triggers not working or the right analog stick not working. This even after using the config tool from ffxi to adjust and calibrate my controllers. All I want is a plug and play controller for this game. I want to avoid 3rd party tools such as BetterDS3 or Motioninjoy or such.

Thank you in advance for the tips and help you can provide.
    (0)

Player
    I use the Logitech F310 (costs less than $20). It has a switch for Direct Input (which works well with FFXI) or the more modern Xbox controller-style on the back, so it works well with FFXI and can be used for modern games too. I just wish they still offered a wireless version.
    (1)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I played this game on Playstation 2 from 2004 to 2008. At that time I migrated to some Playstation 2 controller shaped things by Logitech. But those have broken over the years. Currently I use a regular Playstation controller but I run it through an adapter to turn it into USB.

Here is a list of products on Amazon.

I use this one, but it looks almost sold out.

This one looks nice too.

If you're migrating from Xbox, I'm not sure what those adapters might look like.
    (1)

Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AoiX View Post
    As the title suggests. What is the best controller you can get specific to this game under windows 10.

I have tried using both the DS3 and Xbox360 wired controllers and I always get stuck with triggers not working or the right analog stick not working. This even after using the config tool from ffxi to adjust and calibrate my controllers. All I want is a plug and play controller for this game. I want to avoid 3rd party tools such as BetterDS3 or Motioninjoy or such.

Thank you in advance for the tips and help you can provide.
    I like the Kiky X-Series PS1 & PS2 to USB adapter. It's been working with every OS since the pre-SP1 edition of Win XP. Works perfectly with both PS1 & PS2 controllers. No drivers required. In fact, IIRC it didn't even come with a driver disc. I purchased one and liked it so much that I went back to the store for another.

I have two of these exact units. Bought them at Microcenter, about 2007-2008, for $15 each.

As for authentic, first-party Sony PS1 & PS2 controllers? They're basically indestructible, (Sony built them like tanks) and there are infinite numbers of them. Try Amazon, eBay, the GameStop web site, Play N' Trade, Games X-press and even goodwill. They're out there - Sony must have produced billions of them! Have a local/regional comic book/anime/toy & collectible show near you? Try that. I picked up two silver, brand new, authentic Sony PS2 controllers for $8 at the toy & collectible show in Parsippany, NJ. If they're available in my neck of the woods, they're available in yours.

I acquired two brand new units (not in box) for $4 each at a local game/comic book/toy show.
    (0)
    Last edited by Billnes; 11-07-2015 at 10:28 PM.

5. 11-07-2015 10:37 PM

Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    I played this game on Playstation 2 from 2004 to 2008. At that time I migrated to some Playstation 2 controller shaped things by Logitech. But those have broken over the years. Currently I use a regular Playstation controller but I run it through an adapter to turn it into USB.

Here is a list of products on Amazon.

I use this one, but it looks almost sold out.

This one looks nice too.

If you're migrating from Xbox, I'm not sure what those adapters might look like.
    Zarchery,

If you still have everything from the PS2 edition of FFXI, (white outer retail box, HDD Setup disc, and the like) I might want that. If your willing to part with it, think up a (reasonable) number. Even with FFXI for PS2 coming to an end, I might want it as a novelty item. Let me know.
    (0)

Player
    Considering availablitliy around here I will go with the Logitech F310. Thanks for the feedback guys.
    (0)

The F310 is what I use for PC games. However, for me, FFXI is keyboard-only.
    (0)

Character
    Frankbrodie
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Pretty much PS2 pads through an adapter here as well. I bought a triangle shaped thing years and years ago that has lasted me so far.

There's absolutely loads of generic USB pads pop up in GAME regularly though. That pretty much work button for button like a PS2 pad. Even if the buttons are different ones and require setting up again in the config panel. So I keep a few of those lying around too.

It's a standing family joke that I can't go near a PC or video game store without coming out with a pad of some description. I have about 30 lying around now lol.
    (0)
    nunc est bibendum

Character
    Dsherman
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Talraen View Post
    I use the Logitech F310 (costs less than $20). It has a switch for Direct Input (which works well with FFXI) or the more modern Xbox controller-style on the back, so it works well with FFXI and can be used for modern games too. I just wish they still offered a wireless version.
    The Logitech F710 has all the same features as the F310, plus it also has the ability to vibrate and it is wireless.

It does sometimes have problems with the wireless signal getting thru properly due to positioning of the receiver and the controller. But with the switch in the Directinput position, it works very well with FFXI. The Xinput position of the switch makes it work very much like the Xbox 360 controller.
    (0)

Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankbrodie View Post
    Pretty much PS2 pads through an adapter here as well. I bought a triangle shaped thing years and years ago that has lasted me so far.

There's absolutely loads of generic USB pads pop up in GAME regularly though. That pretty much work button for button like a PS2 pad. Even if the buttons are different ones and require setting up again in the config panel. So I keep a few of those lying around too.

It's a standing family joke that I can't go near a PC or video game store without coming out with a pad of some description. I have about 30 lying around now lol.
    Believe me, I know what it is. If I go to New York Comicon, or one of the several other local/regional comic book/toy/anime/mixed multimedia shows, I'll always stop to look at boxes & bins of miscellaneous controllers. You'll never know what you'll find.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast