Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Are they actually remaking this for the mobile? I think that may be an inaccurate rumor based on a misunderstanding that got out and multiplied. I can't for the life of me see how this would possibly work on mobile platform. Cellular reception is spottier than regular wired and wireless Internet, plus you have to account for the limited battery life of mobile devices.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Are they actually remaking this for the mobile? I think that may be an inaccurate rumor based on a misunderstanding that got out and multiplied. I can't for the life of me see how this would possibly work on mobile platform. Cellular reception is spottier than regular wired and wireless Internet, plus you have to account for the limited battery life of mobile devices.
    They are making a mobile version of the game.Exactly how it functions is unclear, but we have been told it will initially contain content relating the expansions up to and including Chains of Promathia. This mobile game will supposedly be avialable worldwide, but it is completely seperate from the PC version and you can't use existing characters.
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    The link you posted is to exactly ONE development kit. Something tells me that occasionally finding one development kit here and there is not going to cut it for a working, multibillion dollar company.
    That's correct. However, it's not the first so posted or likely the last. It's not like there's a tremendous demand for them two generations of Playstations later, so odds are there's others in private ownership gathering dust. Even half a dozen would likely keep FFXI functional for years given their use more for bugfixing and maint issues vs. new content development. S-E is probably the last developer of official PS2 gaming active in the world, FFXI the last PS2 game still receiving new content- and as they won't rebuild FFXI from scratch due to cost vs reward, the only option is to find cost-effective methods of extending it's service life. That means finding more devkits. S-E is a multibillion dollar company. FFXI has a very small chunk of that pie at this point in terms of development dollars, likewise a small number of people- and a thousand dollars per devkit is chump change.

Of course, the Holy Grail would be actually having access in full to PS2's development data to allow non-Linux kits to be remade and reviving the system entirely, much like many older gaming systems have.

That FFXI could outlast FFXIV -again- would be an interesting bonus. S-E was preparing to put down FFXI with Abyssea, and is doing so again with Adoulin -
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Nexon's "remake" will almost certainly be using imagery and lore from FFXI but little else- that is, a "Vana'diel universe game" but with gameplay that doesn't match FFXI's. They want nostalgiabucks from FFXI fans, not to be the spiritual successor to the game.
    That's a possibility, but other than the announcement we've heard basically nothing about what it will be like.

S-E was preparing to put down FFXI with Abyssea, and is doing so again with Adoulin -
    This is total hogwash. They were not "preparing to put down FFXI" with Abyssea. They had an expansion in development at the time, they'd have wasted every penny they'd spent on that if that was their goal. It's one thing to argue that Abyssea damaged the game, it's another entirely to argue that it was a deliberate attempt to kill the game- especially considering abyssea itself was never directly the problem in the first place. The problem was that it was essentially impossible to surpass Abyssea with any future content because of the ludicrous amounts of power Abyssea granted (while inside it). I know few people who didn't find abyssea fun. I know lots of people who quit *after* abyssea- but I don't know any that quit *during* it- because Abyssea made other parts of the game less fun because Abyssea was the only place to be.

I'm tired of all these conspiracy theories.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 10-29-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Yeah, I have to agree that at this point the Dev kit shortage is very likely just a nice PR friendly excuse to kill XI. But what will really decide the future (or lack of it) of the game will be the number of active subs. People talks a lot about player population in the servers, but in my opinion that doesn't mean anything compared to the number of current active subs.

I say this because in my case I tend to play in bursts. I usually go through periods where I only log in for me points and mog garden stuff (which takes me maybe 15 minutes) and then log out. Followed by periods of time where I play a few weeks non-stop. It all depends on what other games I may be currently playing or how busy I'm with RL stuff, etc. But I still pay my fee without fail regardless. And considering how many players grew up playing XI I'd be surprised if my case wasn't very common simply because lack of time is always a thing in adult life.

So as long as those players who still enjoy XI (even if they can't/wont play as much these days) keep paying their subs, XI will always have a very good chance at staying alive. Even more so when it is operating with a skeleton crew, since costs will go down even further and SE wont be able to justify killing a nice source of revenue like that.

And if by some chance XI starts gaining subs again we may even see more PC improvements. Who knows, it may be unlikely but it can still happen considering how enjoyable and accessible the game is these days.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The only way I could see FFXI getting a remake, is as an expansion to FFXIV, either using FFXIV rules, or make it a separate area, that uses it's own game rules. Remove Abyssea and the WotG areas to save development time and add Fort Karugo-Narugo, Grauberg, and Vunkerl inlet to modern Vana'diel. It's the only way it could even have a chance of happening.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Yeah, I have to agree that at this point the Dev kit shortage is very likely just a nice PR friendly excuse to kill XI.
    No, because if they wanted to just kill it, they would have done so back when they made the announcements. They don't want to kill it, but they also don't want to spend extra money on it.
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    No, because if they wanted to just kill it, they would have done so back when they made the announcements. They don't want to kill it, but they also don't want to spend extra money on it.
    Of course they don't want to kill it, it makes more money than it costs them, a company would be stupid to kill something while it's making a profit, think how much more money it will make now while they're not actively updating it minus a nerf here, a rehash there.
    (1)

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    Of course they don't want to kill it, it makes more money than it costs them, a company would be stupid to kill something while it's making a profit, think how much more money it will make now while they're not actively updating it minus a nerf here, a rehash there.
    Tell that to NCSoft, but then again, the whole City of Heroes closure was more about NCSoft getting rid of Paragon Studios, then the game itself.
    (0)

Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    From time to time, equipment still pops up on places like Ebay-

Example-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation-...8AAOSw~gRV410u

Are they still actively attempting to acquire replacement equipment? At this point, $1000 seems a small price to pay to extend the life of the game- and outside of stuff like "Freshly Picked Vana'diel" I haven't seen mention of the hardware issues that are ending updates for the game.

A little public advertising in the right places might actually help.
    Rustic, here's a reprint of an old posting that I wrote. My original though here: That SE would buy up all the broken PS2 dev units they could find. They would then cobble together working units from the scraps that they just purchased. Perhaps, they'd also be able to fix a few parts. As you can see below, bungiefanNA shot me down. When I though about it, and had a chance to look at an old off-the-shelf 4X AGP card, I realized he was absolutely justified in that shootdown.

I don't think any of the numbers would make sense. Follow along with me on this: SE would purchase ten (10) broken dev kits at $1,000 each. With the ten broken kits now in their stock, SE now has enough working parts (cross your fingers & pray) to cobble together...... Two working dev kits?? That's a four to one (4:1) ratio, folks...... Those two dev kits that they just cobbled together, how long do they last?? Two years, maximum? Is the two years that a cobbled together dev kit might live, enough time to do minor glitch/bug fixes? Without question: yes. Would it be worth it to gamble $10,000 just to have two more machines to do minor bugfixes? No way! Is the two year lifespan (you pray that it's two years) long enough to do another major content addition? Pfft... No way!

Also, let's think about this: SE gambles $10,000 on buying ten broken dev kits. When the tech people at SE examine all the stock, they realize that they can cobble together zero additional working dev kits. That's $10k out the window..... Time to face reality folks: Sad but true, the dev kits are toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Billnes View Post
    Would it make sense to do a cost-benefit analysis on buying broken PS2 Dev Tools in order make an attempt to have some spare parts on hand? In the YT video I saw, the voice over said that a lot of Dev Tools break because they were handled improperly during shipping. I don't know myself: How hard would it be to repair a cracked circuit board? I was under the impression that if the pathways aren't too tiny, there are methods for removing small areas of varnish from a circuit board, re-soldering the circuit and putting back new varnish. What about removing existing components from a broken board, manufacturing a new board and re-soldering the components to the recreated board?
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Old single-layer double-sided breadboards, maybe. Current circuit boards, no. A cracked board is dead. They are multiple layers, and cannot be repairs, just melted down and remade by the robot that makes them in the factory, if one was still in operation, which they aren't. Components are much to small to desolder and resolder by hand quickly or reliably without a robot built to do so. Even that would assume you could diagnose which component was dead from a non-booting board, and that it was worth the time to pay someone to do so. Humans don't do this work anymore, it's at too small of a size.
    (0)
    Last edited by Billnes; 10-31-2015 at 04:58 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast