Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

PlayOnline, what will happen to it?

I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but I was wondering what will happen to the PlayOnline launcher once major updates stop and console support is cut? Is it possible for it to be revamped or is the XI client too attached/coded to it that it can't be?
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I believe they said before it's hard-coded into the game and would require a lot of work to remove it, or something along those lines.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    I believe they said before it's hard-coded into the game and would require a lot of work to remove it, or something along those lines.
    It's been proven this isn't the case.....but that's not something that can be legally talked about. If they continued dev support, they could likely do their own launcher for XI, especially since it's ending up as PC only and Mobile version is streamed. POL's original intent was a portal for games (it had more MMOs linked to it than TM and XI in Japan), database for walkthroughs (old IX paperback guides linked to Playonline sections for more details and such) and PS2 Launcher.
    (1)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Astronema
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    It's been proven this isn't the case.....but that's not something that can be legally talked about. If they continued dev support, they could likely do their own launcher for XI, especially since it's ending up as PC only and Mobile version is streamed. POL's original intent was a portal for games (it had more MMOs linked to it than TM and XI in Japan), database for walkthroughs (old IX paperback guides linked to Playonline sections for more details and such) and PS2 Launcher.
    I remember that stupid Final Fantasy 9 guide idea back when it was Squaresoft. It was terrible since they short-cutted the heck out of the actual player's guide. It was a very huge disappointment on my part because I didn't have Internet then and missed out on alot of side-quest stuff.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Playonline can't be removed if that's what you're asking. Will not happen.
    (0)

ah, okay. I was really just wondering what would happen to it once updates and console support ceased. I know that they haven't updated it in a while. It would've been nice though to not so much as remove it, but to have a better up to date launcher.

I do however miss those Vana'diel Tribunes. I know I can just pull them up either in the archives or on FFXIclopedia, but it was a nice little something to read in between game play.

Thanks anyway for the reply guys, I really appreciate it.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I'd just rather after logging in if it skipped all the useless stuff and jumped in game.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Without delving into territory that ought not to be delved into, the connection between FFXI and POL is straightforward- but most of theconnection is with the playonline servers, not so much the client. The game uses POL for the friends list system and reports your online status, what game you're playing (The only "games" remaining in existence to my knowledge, even in Japan, are FFXI, and Chat.) The game also talks with the POL servers to check your account status and obtain your content ID/character list. That you can glean from logical deduction and no actual knowledge of unscrupulous things is needed.

They could *mostly* ditch playonline provided you don't mind not having a friend list / black list. But POL in some form is needed as a launcher, same as FFXIV and basically any other MMO.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 10-14-2015 at 10:30 AM.

PlayOnline is a backend environment that supports multiple games, like PSN and Xbox Live are on the modern consoles. It handles the same tasks those platforms do, linking billing to an account, managing a global friend list that lets you see what friends are playing, and a communication option to those friends. Yes, the other 5 applications supported by the platform have shut down, but considering the platform was made for PS2, intended to work with games from Squaresoft, Enix, and Namco, and done before Xbox Live and PSN were a thing, it's pretty impressive. It's also hard to disentangle the functions from it and make the game launchable on its own, though they have shifted most of the account management to the web interface instead of PlayOnline. Given the churn on the development team, such disentablgement isn't going to happen with only a month or so of major development left.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    It had a manga reader application, too.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast