Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Character
    Claquesous
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    With over 800 crafting levels under my belt, I think I'm qualified to give an honest opinion on the subject.

I personally don't think raising the crafting caps will make much difference at all. As one or two people mentioned, there will probably be increased demand for some items temporarily for capped crafters to reach their new crafts. This would annoy me, but I assume the effect won't be that bad and won't be too long term. (Crystals on the other hand may get completely out of hand. More on this below.) Also some items will be able to reach new HQ tiers, but there are currently only a handful of these and none that are currently worthwhile.

The change has a whiff of populism and desperation to me while failing to fix the true problems as I see them. Here are changes I'd much prefer to see:

1. Get rid of material losses for synths where I'm above the cap. These are just incredibly frustrating. I think this is why breaks were (thankfully) completely removed from Synergy. (I understand that part of the game is luck, but bad luck is a lot more frustrating than a lack of good luck.)
    2. Give HQ results for more crafts. What I mean by this is that there are a lot of low level crafts like Sheep Leather or Cotton Cloths where you get HQ animations, but don't get any extra materials. These always seemed like a slap to the face especially when followed by a critical break of a synth where I'm 100+ over the cap. I think adding some extra HQs might give high level crafters an incentive to keep the materials on the AH stocked. Conversely, it could hurt the profits on NQ synths so it may not be win/win all around.
    3. Show me the crystals! The other day I sat down with a nice cup of tea to do some synthing, but I found out there wasn't a single earth crystal available on an auction house anywhere on my server so I was out of luck. Crystal prices today are even higher than they were in the midst of the great inflation period. This change would only put more pressure on the already minuscule supply.
    4. Show me the synths! I can't think of a single worthwhile non-Synergy synthesis that has been added since Abyssea was released.
    5. Fix synergy. I love the concept of synergy-- team up to accomplish greater synths. The problem is that the menu-based design is miserable, and also seems to be unfair. Since the system is server based instead of client based, I've heard that some people can thwack four or five times before an overload, but I've never been able to get off more than two or three. That's unfair, and incredibly frustrating! The proposed change seems to be an admission of the failure of utilizing teamwork for synthesis by making everything soloable. I'd much rather the design be fixed than completely giving up on the teamwork aspect.

In summary, I am intrigued by this change and agree that it could bring some benefits, but I hope you will consider some of my suggestions instead. Thanks for your time.
    (17)

Proprietor of http://myffxigear.kicks-ass.org

Character
    Alexisjade
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I have cooking at 100 purely for my self and my friends.
    If I could take a 2nd craft to 100 I would take up alchemy or woodworking for the same resion.

While I do craft to make gil some times.
    Most of my income are from farming rather than crafting.

I use my crafting skills for my linkshell, friends and my self.
    So in this since I craft to become self sustaining.
    (1)
    You're dammed if you do and you're dammed if you don't

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I think it would be great to be able to have more then one craft lvled to their 100 max because a lot of the decent lower lvl items require a great deal of skill (above 60) and there are next to no low lvl items on the AH on Titan. So if you could have bonecraft and clothcraft both 100 you could make all your own items and not have to worry about shouting to find a crafter for something that should be be on the AH anyway.
    (1)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

I support the raising of the limit on the skill caps.

Johnichu "Paparazzi" Valefor of Kujata
    (1)

Character
    Perdition
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Earwig View Post
    Everyone seems to be gaga over abyssea and everything abyssea related one my server.
    I think that Earwig has hit the nail on the head. Abyssea has thrown the game out-of-balance, more than anything else.

There are far fewer people playing and, if your not in Abyssea, you hardly even see another player. The entire world is a ghost town. You can''t find a non-Aby party. Nobody is crafting. The AH is bare. Linkshells are dying.

Abyssea was(is) a HUGE mistake IMO, especially from a game-balance perspective.

I don't think raising the crafting limit will hurt anything. We need more items to buy!
    (2)

Character
    Limecat
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Oh man, full speed ahead. Like others I also have mules with crafts leveled, but it would be wonderful to have some more levels for personal utility(100 cooking, but I'd love to be able to do Lu Shang repairs on the fly instead of having to send the rod to my wood mule). Might even help newer players, since mat prices are bound to jump and that'd give them a leg up on getting some better gear.
    (2)

Player
    Get rid of Synergy? Surely the words of someone who is either a masochist or has never done it.

If anything, SE should completely scrap the old system with all its breaks when you are far above the cap and give every current synthesis recipe a corresponding synergy recipe. This way, the HQ rates are improved when above the cap, you cant fail or lose items and your friends can help out need be if you aren't at the cap.

Oh and for those who would say "but Synergy means I have to level it" - Synergy is one of the easiest crafts to level. You could reach the cap in a matter of days with minimal gil loss. Hell, they could make it where doing synergy on craft that is above your synthesis level could give synthesis and synergy skillups.

As it stands, crafts are dead. Demand is on vendored items or NM drops and anything short of a craft-oriented endgame means that only consumables will benefit. Durable crafts are out of luck so 2 100 crafts on a character wont matter.
    (3)

Sparthosx - Lakshmi - 90 BLU BRD SAM COR RNG DNC PUP BST WAR WHM
    Sig by Kingfury

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Break those caps! I was tired of having blue numbers!
    (1)

I think this would be a good idea!

Got my vote for yes.
    (1)

I love to craft on my mule, Alchemy being my main craft (72). I started Gold also (18). Lately though, I have no desire to continue when I have to spend in excess of 100k to get a .01 skill-up in Alchemy, even with imaging support. I farm a lot of materials for the lower level synths on my main, send to my mule and get increasingly frustrated that a synth fails when I am 50 levels above it's cap. HQ's are rare, and some synths give you the HQ animation, but you get nothing extra. Then, so you get a great HQ (3 flasks of echo drops) and the next synth is a fail. Also, a lot of skill-up synth materials are almost impossible to get (example: chocobo digging - item rare). I can make money easily enough making lower level meds, but my goal is to get to Alchemy 100. There are less and less crafters now thanks to Abyssea, Synergy is fail imo. Please revive good old crafting, items on the ah that we can buy, items that we can actually get from farming and better skill-ups/hq's. Basically the only things that sell are reraise earrings, silent oils, invisible, echo drops, remedies (slow) and food sells pretty well except that a couple of weeks can go by with no Rolanberry Pies or Yellow Curry buns up on the ah because of regional control issues. There are no Furnishings on the AH anymore, no-one does woodworking. One more example, I have been checking the AH for a Gold Chain for a fellow BLU to get a piece of her AF, there have been none up for several days, there used to be plenty. I believe this to be directly related to Abyssea since you don't need to have regular AF. You can go straight to AF3 on any job. Sad. Please give me a reason/incentive to reach my goal. Thanks.
    (3)

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast