Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

Chocobos — Ease of Use and Access

The Chocobo fell underused quite a long while ago already, and with all the fast-travel in place (which I don't entirely love too much due to it making the world so much smaller, but I'm not complaining either) there probably is not too much use for them in any case.

However, I do feel they could be brought back; lower level travellers might especially like to be able to make use of them more easy-like.

First of all, I'm not sure the quest for the license should be adjusted. I don't think it's too big of a hurdle. The whistle probably is one of the first things that come in minds of many instead.

The whistle could be made a permanent key item, I believe. Having it use a slot of inventory, and on top of that, having finite charges is not a good thing.

With the key item version, a text-command (and perhaps a context menu option) could be used to mount one.

What if one doesn't have a chocobo raised? Crazy, I know, but some might not have even a single one! (I have four, I think.) Well, in those cases, a rental chocobo would be called.

Personally raised chocobos should have additional perks, of course, but all this might be getting too big to be worked on at this point. I do believe it should be possible to at least adjust the whistle, and make chocobos available (especially to newer characters) more readily.

Next up: flying.

OK, not really. I saw someone do that on X|V, and I thought it was crazy. Heck, they even hunt down chocobos there, but that's just what it is... and I digress!

What else... hmmm, I can't think of anything else right now, so blubb!
    (2)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I miss choco riding, when it was necessary. If they make changes to them at all maybe making them super fast? I never raised a choco and to your point now with all the fast travel options I'm not sure there is a purpose for it anymore. Also is they would revisit choco's I think it would be cool if they would hang around after you get off for a certain amount of time or until you target and dismiss them, that way if you wanted to get back on you can.
    (0)

Raised chocos are generally inferior to rentals. If anything should be changed, its that. Or, at the very least, the items needed to raise a choco should be available to buy for something other than chocobucks. Raising a choco is enough work without having to garden all the food needed to raise it properly.

What I'd like to see is raised chocos have a base speed equal to rentals, and are able to become FASTER than rentals with good raising. The current system means I can't use my raised choco when I am doing things with friends because I'd fall too far behind.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Indeed the speed factor is definitely a part if them 'perks' they should have over rentals.

If I remember correct-like, it is possible to make them at least as fast, but it will be all it is: fast. Good for the races, no good for digging, which I also liked to do quite a bit (the Hot & Cold game, actually; I still occasionally do that for no particular reason (not for the items at least, aside from fish-tank items recently)).

Indeed, the raising part certainly could be made more accessible, too, even via minor tweaks.

If it was effortless to call the chocobo repeatedly, I think many would still use them when moving around in an area (if it were to be faster than by foot at all), but yes, all the fast-travel certainly made the world a small place. :\
    (1)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    Indeed the speed factor is definitely a part if them 'perks' they should have over rentals.

If I remember correct-like, it is possible to make them at least as fast, but it will be all it is: fast. Good for the races, no good for digging, which I also liked to do quite a bit (the Hot & Cold game, actually; I still occasionally do that for no particular reason (not for the items at least, aside from fish-tank items recently)).

Indeed, the raising part certainly could be made more accessible, too, even via minor tweaks.

If it was effortless to call the chocobo repeatedly, I think many would still use them when moving around in an area (if it were to be faster than by foot at all), but yes, all the fast-travel certainly made the world a small place. :\
    First off Hello Dragoy, long time no see So I was wondering if your basically bumping up all of the old chocobo posted threads by creating this new one as I know this sort of stuff has been discussed in the past specially slightly in the chocobo thread I had started once
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    YosemiteYogorockBlondelle,

I couldn't actually remember any threads related to chocobos at the time of creating this one, and as such, I didn't go looking. They must have slipped past me but had I remembered them, I would have linked to them similar to what I tend to do with all things Campaign, like this.

I always try to bring up the most early posts I can remember or/and find, so as to show how long time ago already they've been asked for, and to add even more comments to the bunch!

I certainly could not remember a thread that specifically asks for the sort of changes I have in mind: the ease of use, plain and simple. So that's what this is about, specifically, instead of being a compilation of ideas for everything related which, in a way, I do prefer because it means less threads with something related to one area or feature. However, thinking of it from a development point of view, threads aimed at a small area are easier to find and track, as well as to respond to (I think of a bug-tracker of an open source software project for example).

Your thread (is that the one you speak of?) seems to mostly talk about the issues in general, and I can't really tell if it's actually requesting a change. ^^;

There certainly are some ideas over there.
    (1)

Character
    Enochroot
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Wearing Purple Racing Silks while riding your own (well-bred) Chocobo makes it faster than rentals.
    (1)

Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    YosemiteYogorockBlondelle,

I couldn't actually remember any threads related to chocobos at the time of creating this one, and as such, I didn't go looking. They must have slipped past me but had I remembered them, I would have linked to them similar to what I tend to do with all things Campaign, like this.

I always try to bring up the most early posts I can remember or/and find, so as to show how long time ago already they've been asked for, and to add even more comments to the bunch!

I certainly could not remember a thread that specifically asks for the sort of changes I have in mind: the ease of use, plain and simple. So that's what this is about, specifically, instead of being a compilation of ideas for everything related which, in a way, I do prefer because it means less threads with something related to one area or feature. However, thinking of it from a development point of view, threads aimed at a small area are easier to find and track, as well as to respond to (I think of a bug-tracker of an open source software project for example).

Your thread (is that the one you speak of?) seems to mostly talk about the issues in general, and I can't really tell if it's actually requesting a change. ^^;

There certainly are some ideas over there.
    Yeah the one thread You asked if it was mine is the correct one you have linked. I had created it for changes with chocobo's but also left it open to be discussed anything chocobo related in which we liked to see have changed or added by the game team creators as well Dragoy!
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochroot View Post
    Wearing Purple Racing Silks while riding your own (well-bred) Chocobo makes it faster than rentals.
    Cool, Where are they obtained or crafted?
    (0)

Character
    Enochroot
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle View Post
    Cool, Where are they obtained or crafted?
    You buy them with chocobucks. The difference isn't that great, but while wearing it you'll definitely pull away from someone riding a rental chocobo beside you. I do think they ought to increase the base speed of all chocobos.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast