Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Abyssea levelling grounds other than raptors?

I'm trying to level up everything to 99 for the sake of completing the Records of Eminence objectives. I have a secondary character who is BLU that does the killing while I soak up the XP. Currently I still have DNC SCH GEO RUN and NIN to go.

I've been doing a lot of this killing at the ever so popular raptor spot in Abyssea - Misareaux. It has some distinct advantages that I think pull me and others there:
    • It's a small area.
    • It's densely populated.
    • The mobs are all agressive so they're easy to pull.
    • No NMs spawn in the area.

But I'm getting bored with raptors. Firstly, they have that enhanced movement speed so I take more damage during the pull. Secondly, I'm tired of random strangers showing up and asking to leech for free XP while I do all the work. I want something less obvious. Lastly, I'm just plain sick of raptors.

I've seen people use chigoes in Attowha before. But... Tunga spawns right in the middle of them and he's a pain in the neck.

I did bugards near Misareaux conflux 8, and they were okay but the spawn area is larger and bugards are bigger so I didn't get as many per pull and the pulls took longer.

I tried the frogs at La-Theine but their spawn area is really big too so the pulls take longer.

Any recommendations?
    (0)

Basically anything that agros and/or links by sound is suitable for this.
    Keep in mind however that the game only registers exp for 8 mobs at a time, so you'll be better off just pulling small batches anyway.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shirai; 04-16-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    Basically anything that agros and/or links by sound is suitable for this.
    Keep in mind however that the game only registers exp for 8 mobs at a time, so you'll be better off just pulling small batches anyway.
    Are you sure? I only saw a limited number of XP rewards echoing to my screen but I'm pretty sure I registered XP totals for all. I need to test this. Luckily I'm in Abyssea with my alt (trying to get Abyssites) right now.
    (0)

Yep, I am.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I was skeptical but I just double checked for myself.

Started with 8723 limit points.
    Pulled 12 Peak Pugils in Abyssea - Grauberg.
    Killed all 12 at the same time with Subduction.
    Chat log reported XP gains per pugil of the following amounts: 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33. That adds up to 236 total.
    Checked limit points. Now had 8959 limit points. 8959 - 8723 = 236.

So you're right. I did not get any XP for those last 4 pugils.

Conceivably, larger pulls can help your XP rate because you get more chests, which means more XP chests. But I think I'll stick to the 8 mob maximum instead of big pulls.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had known sooner.
    (0)

When I was on Ragnarok, mages would do Sandsweepers in Altepa (aggro to casting of magic, so cast a -ja spell and run around to aggro 8 mobs, then nuke them) and a mage in Hagondes+1 or better can kill them with a single AoE spell. You then also have the Dominion NPC nearby to give you credits and EXP while you are getting the chain started. I've also seen melees doing the mandragora in Altepa (Fear Dearg, IIRC) and Bluffalo in Uleguerand Range. Nearly every mob type before Adoulin has an instance in Abyssea, and can be good to level on, as long as they don't have annoying TP moves or an annoying NM that spawns or roams through their area.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Bogyn
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    For the longest time I have been wondering what the allure of raptor parties was. I never asked anyone because it really wasn't important that I know.
    But after reading this, wow. Is it really because people are too lazy to actually pull?
    What the crap man. Too much effort to target something and /ra it?
    /needsmemoryerased
    (0)

Not much changed, it's really similar to the fell cleave parties in the past.
    Raptors is easy because they're pretty much right there but Abyssea has plenty of other camps viable for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Conceivably, larger pulls can help your XP rate because you get more chests, which means more XP chests. But I think I'll stick to the 8 mob maximum instead of big pulls.
    To make that viable the extras need to drop one exp chest per 2 mobs extra killed at least.
    It's faster just to do small pulls.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SickOfYou View Post
    For the longest time I have been wondering what the allure of raptor parties was. I never asked anyone because it really wasn't important that I know.
    But after reading this, wow. Is it really because people are too lazy to actually pull?
    What the crap man. Too much effort to target something and /ra it?
    /needsmemoryerased
    It's not a lot of effort on an individual basis, like with the XP parties we did in the old days when you wanted 1 mob at a time and links were bad news. But when your goal is to pull a lot of mobs at once, kill them all at once, and do it over and over again hundreds of times, individual pulls get tiresome fast. When I was doing my testing, I tried testing on non-linking, non-agressive murexes and that got annoying fast trying to pull just 10 for a single test. I wouldn't dream of doing area of effect XP on anything that doesn't at least link.

Raptors probably got popular in part because someone else popularized it and a lot of us just followed. But I started to see the appeal of something you could mass pull easily. Raptors are aggressive, plus that camp is right at Conflux #7, plus there are a lot of them in a small area, plus there aren't any time-spawn NMs in there getting in your way.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    When I was on Ragnarok, mages would do Sandsweepers in Altepa (aggro to casting of magic, so cast a -ja spell and run around to aggro 8 mobs, then nuke them) and a mage in Hagondes+1 or better can kill them with a single AoE spell. You then also have the Dominion NPC nearby to give you credits and EXP while you are getting the chain started. I've also seen melees doing the mandragora in Altepa (Fear Dearg, IIRC) and Bluffalo in Uleguerand Range. Nearly every mob type before Adoulin has an instance in Abyssea, and can be good to level on, as long as they don't have annoying TP moves or an annoying NM that spawns or roams through their area.
    I've always hated Dominion. Running back to the NPCs every 5 kills is a major pain in the ass. Doing it while 2-boxing would be worse because now I also have to switch screens.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast