Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Enochroot
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Long Term Options

As someone who's often been critical of the way SE has conducted business during the tenure of this game, I've recently been asked how I think SE can sunset the FFXI game service in a more positive way than the direction they appear to have chosen. So I've come up with this list of options for SE to consider (knowing full well that they likely won't) - and maybe it'll spark some discussion.
    1. Open source the whole thing. The only way to ensure the game will survive forever.
    2. Offline/single player mode. Preserve character data even if it means you can't enter some instanced content. (I'd gladly give up that instanced content for the ability to do some quick fishing at Cascade Edellaine during my coffee breaks).
    3. Find a responsible steward for the service & game data - reach out to archive.org, see if they'd want to preserve this online space.
    4. Turn the service over to a group of serious players. (Ok, that's a terrible idea.)

With the announcements of Grandmasters and the FFXI mobile native client it seems that SE has missed the mark on what it is that most of us actually want - preservation of our character data. We've had loads of fun and sorrows while working hard on building these characters over the years and the most important thing that SE can tell us is: "rest assured, they're safe, they're not going away."

Instead, what we're hearing from SE is that they'd like to keep the service going as long as it's profitable to do so, with no plans for after it's not. None of this exactly inspires confidence. So, fellow forum-goers (whether you're currently playing or not) what could SE do to help build your confidence in them and their ability to make good decisions about the long term future of this game?
    (8)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochroot View Post
    As someone who's often been critical of the way SE has conducted business during the tenure of this game, I've recently been asked how I think SE can sunset the FFXI game service in a more positive way than the direction they appear to have chosen. So I've come up with this list of options for SE to consider (knowing full well that they likely won't) - and maybe it'll spark some discussion.
    1. Open source the whole thing. The only way to ensure the game will survive forever.
    2. Offline/single player mode. Preserve character data even if it means you can't enter some instanced content. (I'd gladly give up that instanced content for the ability to do some quick fishing at Cascade Edellaine during my coffee breaks).
    3. Find a responsible steward for the service & game data - reach out to archive.org, see if they'd want to preserve this online space.
    4. Turn the service over to a group of serious players. (Ok, that's a terrible idea.)

With the announcements of Grandmasters and the FFXI mobile native client it seems that SE has missed the mark on what it is that most of us actually want - preservation of our character data. We've had loads of fun and sorrows while working hard on building these characters over the years and the most important thing that SE can tell us is: "rest assured, they're safe, they're not going away."

Instead, what we're hearing from SE is that they'd like to keep the service going as long as it's profitable to do so, with no plans for after it's not. None of this exactly inspires confidence. So, fellow forum-goers (whether you're currently playing or not) what could SE do to help build your confidence in them and their ability to make good decisions about the long term future of this game?
    Last I read Final Fantasy XI has been SE's most profitable game ever and was still making money. I don't understand their motivations for terminating new content in November.

I would prefer they consolidate the remaining players and set aside enough resources to provide new content. I believe for most of us simply preserving our character data will not be enough to keep us interested long term.

The only possible good I can see coming from all of this is that perhaps they will pay more attention to Final Fantasy 14 and make its systems more complex so that it might appeal to the players who opted to stay on 11. Adding interesting materia or a more intricate battle system which allows for unique and varying play-styles would be a nice start. Otherwise I can't help but feel this is a slap in the face to loyal fans who have dutifully supported this game for many years.
    (7)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I'm not interested in an offline single-player version. Meeting the occasional real player ingame, and seeing friends, would keep Vanadiel alive. Being the only living soul in Vanadiel would just kill the happy memories for me, even worse than the off button.

I am totally interested in keeping my character data.

I am totally interested in any kind of Museum Server / embalming system, for loyal fans to meet and chat and enjoy Vanadiel minus version updates. Either run by SE, or run by another group. I suspect that any kind of single server for loyal fans, would bring out the best in players, and the atmosphere would be really fun because everyone would only be there because they are so devoted to the core FFXI game.
    (9)

Character
    Skyrant
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Open source it!

Make it free open source as long as people don't try to make money with it and/or run it for donations to cover server cost.

Look at the Unreal Engine as an example how to successfully market an engine. This could work for a game too. Royalty free unless you make X amount per year.

Please SE, before you shut it down let us have the game we love and played for so many years and made you so much money. You owe us at least that.
    (5)
    Is 20 dmg for the hit like 30 dmg if a RNG shoots?

No DRG for party, camp spot site with 30 dmg, but is it for 20 like 30 dmg when you no hit be it for dd, for 30 dmg instead? or half is 10 for 20 dmg?
    How i mine for fish?
    Try BST BST COR GEO WHM BRD You can melee and fight with your pet..

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    open source yes
    single player no
    option 3 and 4 i dont really care for
    (2)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Enochroot
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    A friend just suggested a crowdfunding campaign to save the game. Not convinced it'd make much of a difference - we're already paying a monthly fee. Thoughts on how to make something like that work?
    (1)

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    That were my thoughts too, but you cant just steal the ffxi name and world and crowdfund it without SE's approval.
    (0)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Even if they'd allow a crowdfunding campaign I don't think it will bring even close to enough to keep this game going for even a couple of months.
    Apart from that, starting march 2016 they are going to lose about half if not more of their revenue by console players who are definitely not going to jump to the pc version.
    I am pretty sure that they've already calculated for that.

Personally, I have already made my peace with the fact that no new content will be released after november and that I'll spend the next maybe 3 or 4 months after finishing up a few goals and calling it.

My personal long term option is simply moving on.
    It has been a good 11 and a half years.
    (2)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Last I read Final Fantasy XI has been SE's most profitable game ever and was still making money. I don't understand their motivations for terminating new content in November.

I would prefer they consolidate the remaining players and set aside enough resources to provide new content. I believe for most of us simply preserving our character data will not be enough to keep us interested long term.

The only possible good I can see coming from all of this is that perhaps they will pay more attention to Final Fantasy 14 and make its systems more complex so that it might appeal to the players who opted to stay on 11. Adding interesting materia or a more intricate battle system which allows for unique and varying play-styles would be a nice start. Otherwise I can't help but feel this is a slap in the face to loyal fans who have dutifully supported this game for many years.
    They're terminating FFXI because it is a horrible embarrassment to them that people still play this game when FFXIV is out. Especially considering how horrible FFXIV was on release, to require them to completely scrap the game and remake it. Having people still playing FFXI, by choice, over FFXIV, basically says "FFXIV isn't good."
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    As SE have already said, they have no plans to shutdown FFXI entirely. They have announced a date when they will cease further updates/expansions etc. But they will keep the game running beyond that, with bug fixes etc.

And it would be highly illogical for them to go from having multiple servers, to zero servers. Much more likely would be a gradual decrease in servers from the current number, down to four, two, one.

So, the real question would be, on all the servers today, combined, how many seriously 'devoted' fans are there. People who will play FFXI core game without further updates. I can name six such people in my Friend List. So I am guessing there are quite a few of us spread across all the servers.

So, assuming the predicted trend of console players quitting rather than getting a PC, other players quitting because they won't play without new content, etc. we can assume that a substantial number of people will quit. And since it would make no sense to shutdown a game with lots of half empty servers, when you could just merge them onto a couple of full and very devoted-player servers, this is what I would expect to happen.

I will certainly pay subs and play the game till the end, whenever that is. I know a lot of people who feel the same. If all those 'devoted' people were condensed onto one or two servers, would their combined subscription fees be enough to keep those one/two servers running without the expense of updates/expansions? I think so.

I am still working on my Empy Afterglow. At the current rate it should be finished in about ten years lol. So I'm not expecting to finish it. But I'm still working on it. Also, in 2004 I took an oath to defend the good people of Windurst, to protect the sanctuary of Heavens Tower and defend the Star Sibyl. To protect them from the ferocious hordes of darkness. To defend with my life, and I will keep my oath to the very end.
    (4)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast