Character
    Rainehx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Quick Launch?

Can I has it ?

noone logs out for short breaks because it take forever to log in! does it have to be so convoluted? anything more than pick account>password>pick char>in is just wasting time.

Save the environment SE make it easier so we can shut down our pc's while away
    (8)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Actually, no one logs out for short breaks becuase why bother? it's a short break. Just leave the game running. This game uses like almost none of any modern PC's computing power. There's no need to close it down for a "short break."

Playonline originally had (and to some small degree still has) other features besides just launching FFXI, and it's already been stated multiple times by the devs they can't simply remove playonline because core code of the game is intertwined with playonline systems (The game itself is actually a .DLL that is called by pol.exe, rather than an executable itself, and needs to make calls back to POL because playOnline manages your account information and character IDs and your Friend List). So unfortunately, no, you can't have it.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-07-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Some of the features are even useful. I still use my POL email account, and have since 2002. That was the only way to get screenshots off the console versions, you had to email them to yourself. Also, the friend list function in POL Viewer is the only way to add offline people to your friend list, and people on other servers.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Rainehx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Actually, no one logs out for short breaks becuase why bother? it's a short break. Just leave the game running. This game uses like almost none of any modern PC's computing power. There's no need to close it down for a "short break."

Playonline originally had (and to some small degree still has) other features besides just launching FFXI, and it's already been stated multiple times by the devs they can't simply remove playonline because core code of the game is intertwined with playonline systems (The game itself is actually a .DLL that is called by pol.exe, rather than an executable itself, and needs to make calls back to POL because playOnline manages your account information and character IDs and your Friend List). So unfortunately, no, you can't have it.
    All that effort replying to my post, if only you'd spent the time to read it lol.
    I said nothing about getting rid of POL I said simply of making it quicker to log in.
    Way to try to pick at something positive just for the sake of it.
    (all about the post count amiright)

And if your really so naive to think that people arnt lazy, good on you.

Regardless of what resources are being used your PSU still draws power.
    Countless people afk for 1 -2 hours and simply don't log out because its just easier, obviously I wasn't hinging my argument on that alone but its just another positive.

Quality, not quantity guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Some of the features are even useful. I still use my POL email account, and have since 2002. That was the only way to get screenshots off the console versions, you had to email them to yourself. Also, the friend list function in POL Viewer is the only way to add offline people to your friend list, and people on other servers.
    Still has lots of features! not suggesting getting rid of it, just quick launch icon bypassing all the stuff most don't use.
    (3)

Character
    Rabies
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    It'd be nice, but don't expect a response other that "The Dev team would have to redesign blah blah blah we are looking to spend that time on new and other "important" stuff." But yeah, It's always had the longest login process of any game I've ever seen.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I said nothing about getting rid of POL I said simply of making it quicker to log in.
    Wanting to log in faster implies getting rid of playonline, because that's basically the only way they could make you able to log on faster, other than perhaps just auto-skipping the main menu and going straight to the FFXI top page.

Regardless of what resources are being used your PSU still draws power.
    Even if you're an eco-nut, Your PC isn't consuming significantly less electricity while the game isn't running vs. when it is.
    I don't understand the lazy comment, because I assume most people ARE lazy and therefore don't log out. Heck, I don't log out either when I need a short break.

I don't understand the quality comment either. I put lots of care and attention into my posts.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-08-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I also don't really see the point.

I mean you can only streamline it so much. You are still going to need to choose your account then log into your account then the whole don't forget your friends and family message hit play (because I really doubt they would get rid of that) to go to the game lobby for character options (create/delete/play) at a minimum. All you really save off of it now is the click to go to the log in button then hitting log in. In light of the rest of the time spent logging in and out I don't see how shaving off that extra 5 seconds or so and 2 clicks will make the difference between your decision to stay logged in or log out.
    (1)

not to mention much of the convolutions to get in are a response to security vulnerabilities. raiding accounts used to be a regular occurrence, so common in fact that SE has left the warnings about password security in the top messages even though it's been over 6 years and we presumably have all gotten the point by now. there actually still is a market out there for buying/selling gil actually. I even got an unwanted brosale tell not that long ago.
    (0)

9. 04-08-2015 08:22 AM

Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Ever notice how no matter what change is requested, the same few people always chime in and say it is bad? Just sayin.
    (5)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bazookatooth View Post
    Ever notice how no matter what change is requested, the same few people always chime in and say it is bad? Just sayin.
    Ever notice how its simply people posting a lot and thus you always notice them whenever you want to notice something? I've chimed in to say things are good plenty of times, so please stop Just Sayin' your implication that my/other's only pruporse here is to call things bad. I'd really appriciate it.

Also, I'm not sure where anyone said reducing the time it takes to log in is 'bad.' Restating that they CANT do it, plus a statement of not understanding someone's reasoning != "THIS IS BAD!"

You notice critical comments more because, especially for the users that don't post much, if they see something they like, they'll just click the "Like!" button, rather than making a post to say they like it. I've "Liked" thousands of posts over the years. But since it doesn't show you anywhere who did it, you wouldn't know that.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-09-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast