Player

Tier II Wyvern Elemental Breaths

Any chance that during the next round of Gifts, DRG can gain access to more powerful Wyvern Breaths i.e, Flame Breath II, Hydro Breath II, etc...that are about 50-80% stronger than current breaths and maybe perhaps use the Wyvern's MAX HP instead of Current HP? We have 4 tiers of Healing Breath but only one tier of elemental breath. It's hard enough keeping the Wyvern alive in current content, and since breath damage is calculated using the Wyvern's current HP, most of the time in battle content the Wyvern has sustained some moderate damage due constant AoE, thus breath damage is almost always lower than it should be. Maybe adjust the new breaths to be stronger and based off of MAX wyvern HP like Healing Breaths are? Would be extremely welcomed to have consistent breath damage. It's bad enough m.acc for Wyvern breaths is a problem, making it based off current HP instead of Max has always been an extreme inconvenience that makes affects DRG DPS to some degree.
    (0)

When looking at wyvern breath damage by itself, it may be viewed as weaker than what players would expect, but considering that breath attacks are automatically performed at no additional cost when a dragoon uses a weapon skill, we cannot make breath attacks a more powerful source of damage. Due to this, we have no plans to add in a higher tier of wyvern breath at the moment.

In the event that we do adjust wyvern breath, we would do something such as add elements that allow a player to add more damage to breath attacks, but please don't consider this to be a dramatic enhancement.
    (0)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    When looking at wyvern breath damage by itself, it may be viewed as weaker than what players would expect, but considering that breath attacks are automatically performed at no additional cost when a dragoon uses a weapon skill, we cannot make breath attacks a more powerful source of damage. Due to this, we have no plans to add in a higher tier of wyvern breath at the moment.

In the event that we do adjust wyvern breath, we would do something such as add elements that allow a player to add more damage to breath attacks, but please don't consider this to be a dramatic enhancement.
    I've got to disagree with this decision. like all pet jobs dragoon has suffered because the development team decided to only have the player scale to the ilevel system, not the pet. I do agree there is no need for a tier 2, but that's because you need to fix tier 1 to get the numbers and the accuracy up to match the ilevel of the determining item. because damaging breaths are weak, and even weaker if the player is using one of the in between jobs that allow both offensive and defensive breaths. couple that with the lack of end-game durability for the wyvern and the abysmally long recall time and for endgame purposes dragoon is a job with maybe 3 minutes of lackluster utility coupled with 17 minutes as a gimped warrior with a high delay weapon. So please enlighten me, if I'm building a party what is the appeal to me to bring in a dragoon? especially considering the 23 DD without pet issues asking to fill that slot?
    (8)

Character
    Nakts
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post

Who wrote this and do they even play the game, or know the mechanics, the additional cost is the wyvern's TP, kind of like some op familiar attacks or even automaton TP moves, gimping them on DRG because on "No additional cost" is not only ludicrous, but blatant bull.
    (1)

Player
    Then if damage cannot be increased, then perhaps make them based off of MAX HP instead of CURRENT HP. A change like that will at least allow for a DRG to maintain the maximum potential damage output possible of their wyvern without having to keep the Wyvern's HP constantly at 100%. Remember, under the current system, if the Wyvern is not at 100% HP, breath damage is reduced. Given that most content has AoE special attacks hitting players every few seconds, it's easy to keep a wyvern alive but impossible to keep them near full HP.
    (2)

Character
    Khelder
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I can understand to some extent not increasing the wyvern breath damage. throwing on even just petro. armet and an augmented updraft mantle can net you a 600-800 wyvern breath. It's a lot harder to accomplish that now with the update to breath cast time, but it's possible.

One aspect of the wyvern breath damage and player damage i think that's being overlooked is Spirit Link. Why? Because all the bonuses we've gotten to spirit link have been about increasing the experience the wyvern receives and helping to remove debuffs. These bonuses are useful, but none of them have been about reducing the recast timer or adjusting the manner in which a player recieves the TP exchange (which currently requires a player to neither cast or weaponskill for the wyvern to save its TP long enough for their to be a significant amount returned when using spirit link.)

If the Dev. team doesn't want to reduce the 20 minute timer for letting your wyvern die. then please give us some adjustments to help us keep the wyvern alive, and consider adjusting the manner in which the wyvern uses it's TP or the manner in which the player can benefit from the wyvern exchanging his HP for the wyverns. True a wyvern will use it's breath at 0% tp. but it also gains a big bonus at 3000% tp, which no DRG is EVER going to see 3000% on their wyvern to do so would be a huge DPS loss, we aren't built like monks whos primary damage is punching rapidly! why not consider giving DRG some pet TP bonus gear? It's an idea, but i'd be willing to bet NO one wants to carry around MORE breath gear than they already have to just for the ability to be of worth. DRG's have such limited control over their wyverns, is there some way to give us more input on how the wyvern behaves?

We gain a good number of benefits for having our wyverns present, but on the chance the dragoon dies more than once we're stuck with a 20 minute timer, no wyvern jump bonuses, no WS wyvern breath dmg, no 25% atk def 10%haste bonus, no ability to self heal or provide party support. Dragoon gets heavily punished for losing their Pet and there really isn't a whole lot preventing us from losing the Wyvern or mitigating the penalty. 1:30 minutes on spirit link and 5 minutes on steady wing. We can transfer a number of enhancing buffs via empathy, but we have no control over which buffs are transferred. I feel like Dragoon has made lot of progress from where it was 3-4 years ago. But when you consider BST pets putting out 18k magical tp moves; 800 dmg from a wyvern breath after a tp WS seems pretty hard to argue as overpowered due to 0 cost.

To clarify my points:
    1. Give us more influence on our wyverns behavior
    2. Consider pet tp bonus for Drg as a means of effectively using the wyvern's tp breath bonuses which is currently not effective.
    3. Give us means of mitigating the heavy penalty for losing our wyverns more than twice in quick succession. 20 min. recast equals 20 minutes of 0 wyvern benefits! it's a big list of missing benefits (see above)
    4. please re-evaluate the tp exchange method of spirit link, please give us means to keep our wyverns alive. WHM's cannot cure the wyvern! yet they take as much aoe damage as the Master.

thanks for reading, I love playing Dragoon and I really want to see this job on Par with other DD's and pet jobs. I don't want a God mode Dragoon, thats fun for about 5 minutes then done. But I do want a powerful Dragoon via skilled play.
    (0)
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I'm not seeing much point in pet TP bonus for elemental breaths. The effect of TP on wyvern breaths is just M.acc. And I can't even recall the last time I saw a resisted breath, since the adjustments to strafe, and making my acro breath set. And if the pet tp bonus is from gear, it's likely even less useful, as it needs to not overlap with any existing breath+ gear to be usable.

Currently used slots for elemental breaths... Head, neck, earring, body,hands,back,waist,legs,feet. So.. like.. a ring, earring or ammo?

Would be more useful to just make Elemental Breaths stop consuming TP. But yeah, I don't think SE is gonna do that.
    (0)