Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daray View Post
    I returned to the game a month ago and I 'm really enjoying all changes. But Square- Enix has announced a press conference and people talk about closing servers . It is true that there is much less active people, but are so few that kill Vanadiel?
    They're making some sort of announcement, people are just letting their imaginations run wild. I don't think they're shutting the game down. They wouldn't still be posting news about version updates if that were the case. There COULD be a server merge but it seems odd that they would do a big announcement for that.

It could be just about anything: Dropping PS2 support, a new expansion, server merges, going free to play, some sort of special event, putting the game on a new platform in an effort to boost subs, whatever. Nobody knows what it's actually going to be about.

But I really don't think they'd do a live stream on youtube with a translation digest to announce something bad.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-18-2015 at 05:17 AM.

One thought I had was announcing FFXI's updating to a new engine^^
    Unlikely. But who knows, their updating the UI slowly, maybe a new engine is coming, Not likely FFXIV's engine, tho that might be easier as some of XIV's assets could likely be used, but maybe something a bit :nicer: and more modern but cheaper to run then XIV, like a modified XII/XIII engine?

Either would likely mean end mainstream support for PS2 either way, but it could also mean opening it up for PS4 support.
    A new engine, and PS4 support could open the game up a bit more. I know a lot of people these days who've not played XI, don't want to because of the engines dated look.

But at the same time, that could end up being too costly for XI by raising the costs of upkeep on the title.

A graphical overhaul, a new expansion (how about one that fits both the 50's and 60's levels, there's only a few good choices for the 50's), and one for 99+?), I hope something really nice is coming for FFXI^^
    I also hope FFXI isn't in danger. That would be scary ;;
    FFXI is one of like, 4 titles I can say I've played fairly consistently for so many years (I think i'm on a decade now of FFXI), that's a pretty exclusive club to be in.
    (2)
    Last edited by Bluestar2kx; 03-18-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

The use of the word press conference means $$$$ for SE

Press conferences are held to get news media's attention. Whatever news they have is not something that is just for current players; it's something they want people to notice (i.e., game websites). Drawing attention to the discontinuation of PS2 support would not be good for SE's public image. That would be a simple news update on the POL feed, like the discontinuation of technical support for Windows XP and the retiring of the German and French clients were.

This has to be something financially beneficial to SE, such as one or more of the following:
    • Subscription cost reduction
    • Massive game engine update / "Vana'diel Reborn"
    • New platform support (Vita, etc.)
    • New expansion
    • Offline FFXI
    • Free-to-play FFXI

Other things may be announced for current players too, like Monstrosity Strikes Back, server consolidation, major in-game changes for the better, etc.
    (5)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I don't quite see how free-to-play can be even imagined as a possibility, considering how much the game is making money with subscriptions, as well as the lack of micro-transactions (or any other way of making the clink-clink).

I imagine cease of service a more plausible occurrence than that, but let's hope that's not it (and I don't see why they would stop something that is likely to be profitable still).

I'd imagine server merges could be one of the things talked about, but doubtful about PS2 going away. I do think getting rid of the PS2 would be for the best to allow development of things further than currently possible. Yes, it will suck for those still using the system, but they'll have the option to upgrade, too!

Meh, I'm not one to speculate. We'll soon enough know!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Bananavivi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    (Hello!)
    My thoughts:
    I don't think they would have a press conference with a live video if they were to deliver bad news. A couple of items worth noting:
    Masters of the Masks is a trademark that Square Enix registered in 2014 that has yet to be used... and it follows the same naming scheme as things like:
    Wings OF the Goddess
    Seekers OF Adoulin
    Rise OF the Zilart
    Chains OF Promathia... etc.

Additionally, Project Flare aka "Dive In" is SE's new streaming service for mobile devices that let users play games like FF7, and FF13 by streaming the gaming content from the cloud. FFXI was demonstrated using this tech.

I think on Thursday that we'll find out that either:
    - A new expansion is in the works
    - PS2 support will be dropped and replaced with mobile streaming
    - Server Merges will be happening
    - Pricing adjustments/Free to Play

Or more unlikely:
    - End of service/offline single player mode
    - Reset button (FFXIV ARR), new graphics engine, deletion of old content etc
    - new console support (ps4, xb1)
    - HD remaster upgrade

No matter what, I think we're in for some good news, otherwise a live video stream wouldn't be hyped in advance.
    (6)

I really hoping this is an announcement for an expansion AND the drop of PS2 support with focus on PC improvements going forward.

Hey, one can dream.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivivivi View Post
    (Hello!)
    No matter what, I think we're in for some good news, otherwise a live video stream wouldn't be hyped in advance.
    If they wanted publicity, they would have announced this conference with a lot more than 2 days notice. This tells me they don't want the entire gaming press section present - and only want to hit the players.

If they were announcing an expansion; or something equally exciting - the news wouldn't contain wording like ... "we'll be talking about the future of FFXI", but rather "we're announcing something big!" -- plus, we'd have known about it a long time ago (or at least more than 48 hours notice)

Those of you that think this is going to be completely positive (which is subjective) I fear are really misguided, or being naive.

Still - we can hope. I still call that they're going to put the game in auto-pilot/maintenance mode, reduce or cease content updates, and merge servers so there is less to manage.
    (1)
    Last edited by Dazusu; 03-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Drawing attention to the discontinuation of PS2 support would not be good for SE's public image.
    How would it not be good for their image? Especially if they announced a new platform in its place (pipe dream, I know) Even people not playing that game would expect it since the ps2 is no longer in any way supported by Sony, and it wouldn't be bad news.

But I have to agree, they wouldn't likely do a live youtube stream to deliver bad news.

If they were announcing an expansion; or something equally exciting - the news wouldn't contain wording like ... "we'll be talking about the future of FFXI", but rather "we're announcing something big!" -- plus, we'd have known about it a long time ago (or at least more than 48 hours notice)
    But didn't they use this kind of wording prior to audolin's announcement? I'm pretty sure they said something like that when they changed directors/producers (whichever it was).
    (2)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I think it very likely this is an announcement of server merges.
    (0)

I don't think it'll be announcing server mergers. They've been merged before, and there was no press event, just an announcement on the playonline site.

They usually do press events for major things, such as Xbox 360 release or a new expansion.

The thing is, though, that the announcement has the same tone as someone saying "We need to talk". As in, "we need to talk, you're being let go" or "we need to talk, we're breaking up" or "we need to talk, you have polio".

Needless to say, I've got a bad feeling about this...
    (2)

11. 03-18-2015 11:22 AM

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast