Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    << DELETED BY AUTHOR >>
    (2)
    Last edited by Billnes; 10-17-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There shouldn't be. Windows hasn't included the version of directx FFXI has used in a long time; but you can still just install it (afaik the game installer puts it on). Windows 10 shouldn't be changing anything radical that would affect FFXI.
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I haven't tested it yet, but every other legacy application I've installed on windows 10 has worked fine.
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Two LS members have Windows 10 and installed FFXI on it no problem.

As far as FFXI and compatibility with future windows version . . . it is very unlikely that FFXI will become incompatible with Windows in a non-trivial way. Microsoft's hardware standards require direct 9 compatibility for graphics cards/drivers, and all versions of Windows come with a Dx8 compatibility/wrapper layer that gets stacked on those Dx9 functions (which is what FFXI uses). As this becomes further and further from the standard, the (already low) efficiency of the operations will suffer, but computers will also get faster.
    (4)

I've had no problems at all with windows 10, I've been using it since the first preview release, and had no problems with running FFXI, I use the steam seekers edition.

I did have one problem with getting the numlock to work prior to the current build since the decembers build, but that affected all of windows 10 and not just FFXI, so I had to use the other keys instead, but that's about it, and didn't really affect functionality.

Like windows 8, just make sure directplay is enabled under legacy components, that's about it.
    (1)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar2kx View Post
    I've had no problems at all with windows 10, I've been using it since the first preview release, and had no problems with running FFXI, I use the steam seekers edition.

I did have one problem with getting the numlock to work prior to the current build since the decembers build, but that affected all of windows 10 and not just FFXI, so I had to use the other keys instead, but that's about it, and didn't really affect functionality.

Like windows 8, just make sure directplay is enabled under legacy components, that's about it.
    I'm mainly concerned with getting this bootleg Japanese driver to work with my wireless 360 controller.
    (1)

Character
    Dirac
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    Two LS members have Windows 10 and installed FFXI on it no problem.

As far as FFXI and compatibility with future windows version . . . it is very unlikely that FFXI will become incompatible with Windows in a non-trivial way. Microsoft's hardware standards require direct 9 compatibility for graphics cards/drivers, and all versions of Windows come with a Dx8 compatibility/wrapper layer that gets stacked on those Dx9 functions (which is what FFXI uses). As this becomes further and further from the standard, the (already low) efficiency of the operations will suffer, but computers will also get faster.
    So far the extra abstraction layers are winning; last I checked the speed hit running the game on windows 7 vs XP was about 30%, but processors released since XP support was discontinued haven't increased more than 20% or so (sandy bridge vs. haswell single-thread with non-avx2 code). With the increasing focus on power consumption rather than raw performance, the situation seems unlikely to improve.
    (1)

Character
    Teleste
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Curious, has anyone tried using an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller on Windows 10?

My Xbox 360 controller recently went bad and I really do not enjoy using the keyboard. I ordered an Xbox One controller and have recently been studying Windows 10 to look for ways to make the controller fully compatible, L2 and R2 triggers included.

So far, the only thing I've found that Windows 10 absolutely requires is a legacy DirectX library called DirectPlay. Also reports have said the game must run as administrator.

Let's continue this investigation.

Has anyone tried an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller on Windows 10? Were you able to use any official or third-party driver to enable the L2 and R2 triggers?
    (0)
    Last edited by Teleste; 06-05-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Xbox controllers use DirectInput, which FFXI doesn't support. You can get them to work with a third party tool, which maps the directinput mappings to those of DirectPlay, but the latter does not support the analog trigger buttons. Because of this you will never get the secondary triggers to work properly.
    (1)

Xbox controllers use X (as in Xbox) Input. DirectInput is part of DirectX, which older games use. There are applications to convert one input to the other, which would make FFXI able to see the controller.
    (1)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast