Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

New expansion?!?

As the title of this post. Is FFXI going to get a new expansion now that Adoulin has "ended"? Can we hope to see new stuff on that scale?
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by AoiX View Post
    As the title of this post. Is FFXI going to get a new expansion now that Adoulin has "ended"? Can we hope to see new stuff on that scale?
    I doubt it. The way Adoulin screwed up the game way more than even Abyssea, it seems extremely unlikely they'd dedicate that kind of time an money to the few people still playing.
    (0)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    I doubt it. The way Adoulin screwed up the game way more than even Abyssea, it seems extremely unlikely they'd dedicate that kind of time an money to the few people still playing.
    This game is a lot better since Adoulin came out.
    (7)

Player
    the way i see it, they just had a very small update this month. if we see another small update next month then that puts the probability that they are working on another expansion pretty high.
    (2)

Character
    Doctorweird
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 30
    I'm not sure if I want to see another expansion just yet if's just going to be new ways of upgrading old gear. Plopping down more tedious trials on top of old ones is getting stale and needs to be rethought if there's going to be a new expansion.
    (1)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTheGalka View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to see another expansion just yet if's just going to be new ways of upgrading old gear. Plopping down more tedious trials on top of old ones is getting stale and needs to be rethought if there's going to be a new expansion.
    THe problem is the general populous isnt able to 'let it go'. Thats why there is reforged AF/RELIC armor, R/E/M weapons. This is the only mmo i have ever played that keeps the same gear you got 12 years ago relevant for the sake of 'but i spent so much time back then getting it why shouldnt it be relevant today'.

Seriously, every other mmo works on the system that each expansion works like this:
    Current level / i level (99 / 119)
    Group gear is i 109/ raid gear is 119

Expansion rolls around, new level/ilevel (105/i125)
    New group gear = 117, new raid gear = 125 (*note that new group gear is comparable to old raid gear, but not as good, but better than old group gear).

They tried to not upgrade old gear into ilevel gear, and people flipped a shizlle when their R/M/E wasnt the best weapon anymore. Now if there was an ergon for every job and that was the new i level version of an end game weapon, i think it would be more in line with every other mmo.

The ffxi model is:
    increase ilevel, add new trials to old equipment! Keep using that 5 year old bp with new trials!
    (0)

Character
    Elemmire
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Roja323 View Post
    THe problem is the general populous isnt able to 'let it go'. Thats why there is reforged AF/RELIC armor, R/E/M weapons. This is the only mmo i have ever played that keeps the same gear you got 12 years ago relevant for the sake of 'but i spent so much time back then getting it why shouldnt it be relevant today'.

Seriously, every other mmo works on the system that each expansion works like this:
    Current level / i level (99 / 119)
    Group gear is i 109/ raid gear is 119

Expansion rolls around, new level/ilevel (105/i125)
    New group gear = 117, new raid gear = 125 (*note that new group gear is comparable to old raid gear, but not as good, but better than old group gear).

They tried to not upgrade old gear into ilevel gear, and people flipped a shizlle when their R/M/E wasnt the best weapon anymore. Now if there was an ergon for every job and that was the new i level version of an end game weapon, i think it would be more in line with every other mmo.

The ffxi model is:
    increase ilevel, add new trials to old equipment! Keep using that 5 year old bp with new trials!
    I personally like the FFXI model more. I like that it adds new gear and allows for upgrading old gear. That's how it should be imo. Some people do have ties to old gear the worked hard to get and want to keep. The model other MMOs use is far more annoying to me.

Personally, I hate that every MMO is even using gear score and item level and such bs. All it does is add to the increased elitism bs. I remember when FFXI (and other MMOs) could find people just trying random groups instead of the core set of ideal and having it work. MMOs need to not encourage the elitism.
    (9)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Thats your personal oppinion, and like mine, neither is right nor wrong.

I just find it annoying that i have to go do 12 year old artifcat quest, or expansion story lines to get relevant end game items for today. To me, its obnoxious to have to get mission rank 6, then finish cop, just to upgrade AF gear from 12 years ago into something for today. Thats a lot of back tracking for new people and makes it way less approachable.
    (0)

Player
    Well for me it would have to be something like Chains of Promathia. That, I think, was the best expansion this game has gotten. It had an awesome story. It was something hard to achieve but felt soooo rewarding after winning the battles. I felt good about achieving that. I was really happy about it. In contrast, Adoulin felt somewhat easy and rushed. Of course there are other aspects of Adoulin, but story wise it wasn't the best. I don't mind not having new areas, all I really want is a good extensive story that is not so easy to do. Something challenging and rewarding. Something I can say with a big smile that I accomplished it. Of course there has to be room for innovation and new stuff the developers want to try. New systems to add, maybe a job or two if they want. For me, i just want another awesome story.
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Roja323 View Post

I just find it annoying that i have to go do 12 year old artifcat quest, or expansion story lines to get relevant end game items for today. To me, its obnoxious to have to get mission rank 6, then finish cop, just to upgrade AF gear from 12 years ago into something for today. Thats a lot of back tracking for new people and makes it way less approachable.
    That is not an FFXI issue, that is an issue relating to the nature of all Role Playing Games.

RPG titles actually set their quality standards based on the immersive realism of the RPG world, usually modelled around the core concept of your unknown and hopeless new character gradually becoming more well-known in the world and eventually being noticed by the NPC Heroes who will invite you on missions. Having to attain ranks, finish quests and missions etc. in order for your character to become a "known face" in the RPG world, is not a negative facet of RPGs, on the contrary, the more situational plotline requirements are made of you, the better the RPG is.

If anything I would wish for more "background checks" on a character, more quests, more missions, harder fame requirements etc. But that is because I'm a roleplayer and I really go for all that lore requirement stuff. FFXI seems to have taken this central RPG concept and made it slightly easier to appeal to the arcade-gamer market, and this works fine too.

(9)
    Last edited by Stompa; 01-23-2015 at 06:07 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast