Character
    Rasalgethi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Please SE we need the Linkshell "war and drama" back in the game

Dear Community, Dear SE,

I would like to talk about this game from my point of view, and how to get the "Spicy taste" back inside!

First point: This game miss something since Abyssea. Nowadays we only have to fight versus NPC, you will tell me that it was always like that but that's false, because pre-abyssea the other(s) concurrent Guy / LS claimed the "Precious wanted NM" before you or your LS, you had to be faster/fortunate than this guy or their team.

Force pop NM "IS" the solution to remove all drama from this game ok, but this will never be fun and rewarding as fight versus a real human team to claim this precious NM.
    You will (I will) rage if you miss this "claim" because the other guy/team was faster/fortunate than you, that's right, but you will be in trance the day you get it, and this is priceless!

Second point: Nowadays, everyone (Or at least all people that really want to get them) have best items of the game, Mythic, Relic, Empyrean etc...
    Its like a "free distribution" same way for level up, it's like "Let's level all jobs to 99 in 1 week!"
    Where is the personnal satisfaction in this? At least Thanks for Job Points this is a good point I guess

This game need to get back the "ULTRA HARDCORE GAMER" part (I would be happy to dream about a Weapon that I can't get, but see 2 or 3 guys get it on the server because they are really super hardcore players and don't talk me about these lol Afterglow useless R/E/M, long to get but with useless additional effect).
    This game need also the "UNFAIR" part, because ok, some people will cry (I will cry) as usual, but this is how you put taste in a life...
    Sad when you loose, but jubilant as never when you win!

Currently from my point of view FFXI is just Lifeless, Soulless... Not about the gameplay, he is good!, but about human interaction/feeling magnitude.

Thanks for you attention

PS: this thread is now officialy open to haters and sanctimonious people, welcome!

PS2: My OLD 2011 thread about how reintroducing world pop HNM in this game with less "drama", less "nolife win" and less "bots win".
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...-Lv99%E2%80%8F
    (2)
    Last edited by Hercule; 01-04-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I played that game back in the day and it sucked. People treated each other like utter shit. There were personal attacks galore between opposing LSes and even between the members within them. The only respect paid to anyone was by members hoping to gain favor with leadership or by the handful of us who still managed to maintain our humanity through it all.

There was no actual joy in claiming or in victory. There was only relief that the pain was over for now and schadenfreude in the competition's failure. Not that they actually failed mind you. It's just that their 3rd party claim tool was beaten that night by our 3rd party claim tool. So much for a test of skill. It's more a test of latency, PC specs, and pure dumb luck.

The fake joy in getting a rare drop was the same. That was simply relief as well. Of course every rare drop I ever got was met with resentment by someone else. It's impossible to remember a time back then when I got something and someone else in the group wasn't disappointed or upset at least a little. I'd actually end up feeling guilty for getting something I had earned.

I look back and think, "What part of that was fun?" I can only surmise that I was so desperate for a social gaming experience that I was willing to put up with a lot of nonsense. I also didn't really understand what an online gaming experience truly entailed. Even after all the leveling and the jerkassery involved with that I still didn't understand the true dark side of online gaming. I never imagined things could get that personal, that emotional, and that miserable. When I bought this game I was hoping for a truly cooperative experience. Silly me for thinking that was possible. If I knew then what I know now I never would have even bought FFXI at all.

So, I'm sorry. I can't support you in your goal to bring back the old days of FFXI. In the words of Yuna, "I don't like your plan. It sucks."
    (20)
    Last edited by Camiie; 01-05-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    So you want to reintroduce a game where you spend roughly 3 hours camping an NM to, more likely than not, get absolutely nothing? And you need to convince 17 other people to go through this with you?

I'm pretty sure that almost nobody actually enjoyed this. Most sane people avoided it. Those who did, only did so because there was nothing else to do. Now that there are plenty of other things to do, even if you introduced such sadistic content, nobody would actually want to do this.

I find it bizarre that your entire request is "please make this game more unpleasant, and increase the anger and hatred among members of the community". This is not only one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard, it's also just plain mean.
    (17)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    I played that game back in the day and it sucked. People treated each other like utter shit. There were personal attacks galore between opposing LSes and even between the members within them. The only respect paid to anyone was by members hoping to gain favor with leadership or by the handful of us who still managed to maintain our humanity through it all.

There was no actual joy in claiming or in victory. There was only relief that the pain was over for now and schadenfreude in the competition's failure. Not that they actually failed mind you. It's just that their 3rd party claim tool was beaten that night by our 3rd party claim tool. So much for a test of skill. It's more a test of latency, PC specs, and pure dumb luck.

The fake joy in getting a rare drop was the same. That was simply relief as well. Of course every rare drop I ever got was met with resentment by someone else. It's impossible to remember a time back then when I got something and someone else in the group wasn't disappointed or upset at least a little. I'd actually end up feeling guilty for getting something I had earned.

I look back and think, "What part of that was fun?" I can only surmise that I was so desperate for a social gaming experience that I was willing to put up with a lot of nonsense. I also didn't really understand what an online gaming experience truly entailed. Even after all the leveling and the jerkassery involved with that I still didn't understand the true dark side of online gaming. I never imagined things could get that personal, that emotional, and that miserable. When I bought this game I was hoping for a truly cooperative experience. Silly me for thinking that was possible. If I knew then what I know now I never would have even bought FFXI at all.

So, I'm sorry. I can't support you in your goal to bring back the old days of FFXI. In the words of Yuna, "I don't like your plan. It sucks."
    Personal opinion, that's all I can say. If you want to view everything negative, then it can get as negative as you want it to be, and vice versa. I've experienced LS/friend drama no matter which expansion. I've experienced drama in 75 era, Abyssea and SoA.

However, I've also had a more meaningful social experience in 75 era, not so much in SoA era. Some friends I've met in 75 era still chat with me on skype often, even though we don't really play FFXI anymore.

I don't know how you ended up only meeting ppl with bad attitude, but that wasn't my experience. There are ppl with bad attitude, and there are connections I've made that could never happen in another online game.

IMO, 75 era FFXI is the most memorable video game experience I have in my life, bar none. I've played a lot of MMO titles and hundreds and hundreds of game on different platforms, so it's not exactly easy to made it to #1 on the list.
    (6)

5. 01-05-2015 02:05 AM

Player
    I avoided all of endgame like the plague back in those days, and the social aspects of that sort of gaming were a nightmare, with all the personalities that everyone hated taking advantage of others to get ahead... I don't want anything to do with it. I simply exped back in those days when the endgame revolved around that sort of activity, I probably wouldn't unsub if they did add it, but I'd be very annoyed and would definitely not participate in those sorts of things again, ugh.
    (6)

Character
    Rasalgethi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I hope SE will make this lv 75 Server to all players that miss these old days (as me)
    (0)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    So you want to reintroduce a game where you spend roughly 3 hours camping an NM to, more likely than not, get absolutely nothing? And you need to convince 17 other people to go through this with you?
    What's scary is that people used to use the dead time between spawn windows as a selling point of the game! They were actually happy that the game was giving them time to watch TV or play a different game in the meantime. How absolutely absurd is that? I said it then and I'll say it again now; If the best part of a game is doing something other than playing it, then that game has a serious problem.

Now I'm sure someone will come along shortly and perform a gold medal level mental gymnastics routine attempting to justify that as excellent game design, but I'm never going to buy it. I mean if that aspect of the game is so wonderful then sitting around town LFP for hours on end must have been positively orgasmic.
    (10)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Ok I've been thinking about a compromise, a way to accommodate Hercule's sadistic and mean spirited request.

1) SE introduces voluntary level cap. You can set your level to 75 or whatever you want, without a level sync designee.
    2) Hercule and 17 other masochists buy a Honey Wine (or Sweet Tea if you feel like it) to pop Fafnir or Nidhogg.
    3) All of these people wait around in Dragon's Aery for 3 hours.
    4) After the 3 hours are up, alliance leader uses /random. If he rolls within a set range, let's say 0-250, he uses the Honey Wine/Sweet Tea to pop the dragon.
    5) If he rolls outside of this range, everyone warps and goes home.
    6) Repeat the same process 21 hours later. Do this regardless of the time. If it's 2:30 AM for some of the players, too bad. They better set an alarm and live with less sleep that day.

This all sounds so fun! Let's all agree on a server to migrate to, and let's get SE on board with the voluntary level cap option. It'll be even more fun when something really good drops like Ridill or Earthen Abjuration drops so that 9 people can be furiously angry at the 10th guy who won the lot on it.
    (8)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...58-New-Servers

Like this thread, bump it. Get SE's attention!
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    What's scary is that people used to use the dead time between spawn windows as a selling point of the game! They were actually happy that the game was giving them time to watch TV or play a different game in the meantime. How absolutely absurd is that? I said it then and I'll say it again now; If the best part of a game is doing something other than playing it, then that game has a serious problem.

Now I'm sure someone will come along shortly and perform a gold medal level mental gymnastics routine attempting to justify that as excellent game design, but I'm never going to buy it. I mean if that aspect of the game is so wonderful then sitting around town LFP for hours on end must have been positively orgasmic.
    The best part is that that experience can be easily recreated. I'm doing it right now. I just went out to where KA spawns on beast master and put my flag up. I'm 12 episodes deep into "Sea Lab 2021" and not a single tell. It's just like 2003 again.
    (7)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast