Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Hmm... no, not really. Tier 5 spells are BLM's highest DPS option at the moment. They do require some support to spam, but it's still our best option.

To crosspost from FFXIAH:
    Strengths of BLM:
    1) No engage delay for our damage
    2) Substantially better unbuffed DPS than a melee
    3) Damage can be essentially hate free
    4) One of the best sources of AoE damage in the game
    5) Manawall (rez cap to 30 JPs prz)

Weaknesses of BLM (most have already been hit):
    1) Magic Accuracy is an issue at higher levels. We need magic sushi, or at least elemental magic sushi.

2) Magic damage buffs do kind of suck at the moment. The best we have is Malaise (~2x damage), and it still doesn't really compare to melee Haste (5x damage).

3) We require too many buffs in group content. In group content where we can't afford to take hate, we have to lean on AM. AM has a longish recast time, which means we need high levels of Haste to really sustain our nuking if the monster has any specific elements that it resists. So we not only need magic damage buffs and sources of Refresh, but we also need Haste similar to a melee in order to be damage competitive. If we're doing high-end content, we also need magic accuracy buffs to stay competitive at the moment.

4) The normal macro system doesn't let us take advantage of the 80% fast cast cap or occasionally quickens in any reasonable way, and that's a problem that needs to be fixed. BLM will never be a respectable DD without 80% fast cast (and hopefully occasionally quickens procs).

5) That extra half a second that you have to wait after you move before you can cast again without getting interrupted is actually incredibly limiting for magic jobs in roaming situations. If they eliminated it, BLM would be even more potent in situations like Outer Ra'Kaznar skirmish.

6) I worry about our reliance on Spaekona's Coat +1. Gear becomes obsolete eventually.

In terms of tales of success, I have DDed comparable to SAM in the past but it took a considerable amount of support and was only against iLevel 127 content. I'm certain that it could still get better, but the amount of support that it requires is inefficient as hell. I'd say these adjustments should take place in two stages. The first stage would be introducing a potent Elemental Macc food and giving us some kind of Spaekona's Coat-like job trait that levels up (say 1% at 30, 2% at 60, and 3% at 90). The second stage would be introducing a way for macro users to actually benefit from all that fast cast and occasionally quickens and then balancing magic damage accordingly. They could also fix problem #5 in the second stage if they wanted.
    (5)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    One of my gripes is they went thru the effort to give us a low enmity option not to dissimilar to rng relic ws.... but kept it behind a horribly long cast/recast spells with even more mp/dmg efficiency. So in the end AM/AM2 wouldn't have pulled hate anyways because of how slow of dmg you'd do. Need to redo it's cost, cast time and recast time like you guys did all the other single target nukes
    (3)

I'm not worried about the "hate free" for damage-and if they fix our damage we wouldn't be hate free, we'd be back to the old days of blm (which I liked btw) of moderate, moderate, moderate, MASSIVE KILL-SHOT damage for casting. I never found that burdensome. the burdensome part was after, that we had MP issues because of it meaning we had to rest while the next mob was coming in to regain MP. oh, and being careful that "massive kill-shot" actually was the kill shot because it was a huge volatile enemy grab and if it didn't work... well finding out exactly how potent defense actually is has always been a painful lesson for nukers of any stripe. It should be for ANY DD source but most just prefer to claim the healer sucks instead. We pass that off as "teamwork" now.
    (2)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Well I meant they had this great idea to give us low hate and them left it locked behind something pretty much unusable.

As far as massive killshot and rest between... given todays mob hp and the pacing of game it would need to be very massive indeed... like bigger than can be displayed lol
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Well I meant they had this great idea to give us low hate and them left it locked behind something pretty much unusable.

As far as massive killshot and rest between... given todays mob hp and the pacing of game it would need to be very massive indeed... like bigger than can be displayed lol
    I was speaking more in terms of regular partying, I guess it would be a capacity point burn today instead of XP/merits, which is against normal mobs. against bosses the issue is-and maybe this is subjective-but it seems my nuke for 3k damage draws more hate than the Sam's WS for 8k damage. and that simply shouldn't be the case. we need to be able to be spamming tier 4 nukes on bosses and then unleashing something major with AM2 that far exceeds what tier5 nukes/tier3 AoE nukes can do on boss mobs for us to be viable again. and yes, our upper level damage needs a serious buff by SE for that to happen. I don't have an issue with pulling the mob's attention when I just topped the party's top DD by 25% in a single cast, I DO have an issue with pulling hate when I just did my highest spell and only did 60% of the sam's last WS, 2 seconds before my cast.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    It's completely subjective. You aren't drawing more hate the issue is everyone dealing any real amount of dmg caps enmity fairly quickly. They've made some adjustments but I believe a on say a delve boss iirc from the little testing I've seen you should be able to capped with about 30k total dmg and the only thing that effects how much enmity you get from dmg is mob lvl and of course normal things like +/- emnity gear. Which is why xp mobs you don't have much trouble because they die before you deal that much.... but since those bosses have ~1 million hp you end up being capped for the majority of the fight. Which leads to the situations of basically whoever took the last action has hate unless you just recently lost a bunch from dmg which takes all of about 2 seconds to recap. Once you cap it doesn't really matter how much dmg you do or how fast because staying capped is completely trivial and could be done with a melee sch.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2