Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Because this issue is clearly "I want this gear, but SE won't let me have it, please let me have it because I'm paying"

Not sure what's the difference. If the game designer just doesn't want the player to get the item....just don't get it?
    Such a wonderful show of just how awesomely the point is missed. The point is to allow more than 1 of 12 items to be obtained. I don't see anyone arguing this has to be done for free or via the mission that grants the original. In fact, many times I've seen arguments about this over the last few days people have talked about using the 300k Bayld replacement price as a simple price tag for additional rings, possibly even 3M Bayld for additional rings. That, isn't asking for hand outs, that's asking for changes to shitty design.

If asking for a change to this design of only obtaining 1 of 12 rings at a time is by itself comparable to "hand me everything I want cause I said so" then I fail to see how any suggestion couldn't be held to the same standard. The thing is, you use this same stupid argument in so many threads it disgusts me, it's not a valid reason for not doing things, it's a simple excuse as to why anything shouldn't be done that doesn't even make sense because it's not even close to what's being asked for. You're comparing apples to oranges and then expecting everyone to accept oranges as being outrageous since everyone knows that apples are outrageous themselves.
    (4)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I have 8 of the 22 jobs at level 99-- MNK WAR WHM BLM THF BRD BST SAM. MNK and WHM are my favorites that I put the most effort into gearing. THF I pull out if I wanna farm Dynamis, BLM sometimes if there's something that requires magic damage (I like it for Wildskeeper Reives especially Yumcax). SAM I just sort of play around with sometimes because I like the super fast TP build. BST I used to use for solo stuff but since Adoulin came out my MNK has been better so I retired the job. WAR I use rarely and only if I need to red proc something in Abyssea.

So you could say that MNK and WHM are my main jobs. Now I have to pick 1 out of 12 rings for one of those 2 jobs, because they don't really overlap and no ring will really be useful to both. So what I could do is puff up my chest, throw a tantrum, and say "I'm a paying customer! Gimme rings for both jobs!!" Or I could do what I am doing, act like an adult, and get one ring for one of the jobs (probably WHM; I am loving the look of that Woltaris Ring as a replacement for my Serket Ring) and stick with the current ring combination I have on MNK. Because it has been fine so far, and it doesn't instantly become no good just because, say, Karieyeh Ring now exists.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    Such a wonderful show of just how awesomely the point is missed. The point is to allow more than 1 of 12 items to be obtained. I don't see anyone arguing this has to be done for free or via the mission that grants the original. In fact, many times I've seen arguments about this over the last few days people have talked about using the 300k Bayld replacement price as a simple price tag for additional rings, possibly even 3M Bayld for additional rings. That, isn't asking for hand outs, that's asking for changes to shitty design.

If asking for a change to this design of only obtaining 1 of 12 rings at a time is by itself comparable to "hand me everything I want cause I said so" then I fail to see how any suggestion couldn't be held to the same standard. The thing is, you use this same stupid argument in so many threads it disgusts me, it's not a valid reason for not doing things, it's a simple excuse as to why anything shouldn't be done that doesn't even make sense because it's not even close to what's being asked for. You're comparing apples to oranges and then expecting everyone to accept oranges as being outrageous since everyone knows that apples are outrageous themselves.
    I think what Afania is getting at is that all of you are not wanting to choose between apples or oranges... you want apples and oranges! The design isn't "shitty" as you put it. It's a great design. If you didn't notice, SE has a habit of saying "you can have this, but at the cost of this". If you have everything things cease to be interesting (which is why I don't like instant gratification people either). The thing that makes games (and life for that matter) interesting is having to make choices. But the thing is... the choice isn't permanent. If it was permanent, now THAT would be interesting; having to actually make a permanent strategic decision.... the thought is titillating. That would separate the real gamers from those who are here for just a little entertainment.
    (1)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'm all for limiting player decisions at times, since I like that sort of thing in an RPG.

I don't think it'd be bad to let us choose 2 or even 3 rings out of 12 though, given that the choice is usually between 3.

Whatever the case I know what I'm probably getting if I'm only allowed to have one (can we have some clarification if the Vocane Ring description is accurate, because it says something totally different in Japanese). I just don't think it'd be bad to let us have more than that. These rings are all very good but they arn't things that are going to make or break your jobs so I don't see any reason to be dramatic about it if they decide to stick with the one ring thing though.
    (3)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post

Because picking 1 ring out of 12 is not a shitty design IMO, I see nothing wrong with it. And I don't think "I'm a paying customer" is anywhere close to being a valid reason to ask for a design change. If you don't agree with the design, just say "this design could have been better" instead of "I'm paying, SE should listen to me, or else the game would die if SE doesn't listen". That's just not a good way to express opinion about game design.
    (1)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I will probably go with Weatherspoon personally. It annoys me that I won't be able to have Orvail and Shneddick, as those are kind of "quality of life" rings, but I guess I'll have to make due.

If I was given carte blanche access to all rings, I'd be willing to store:
    * Weatherspoon Ring - Fast Cast for all jobs and MAcc+10. This brings me up over 40% fast cast on my light armor jobs like THF and DNC for Utsusemi. Ichi will cast faster than ever! Pretty great.
    * Orvail Ring - HQ Rate +1%
    * Shneddick Ring - Movement speed... I hope this stacks with other forms of movement speed. Otherwise I wouldn't get it.
    * Renaye ring - Refresh and 10 singing/geomancy skill!
    * Haverton Ring - For Dancer solo
    * Janniston ring - Best cure ring.
    * Kariyeh Ring - I would essentially only be using this for Atonement, but I'd still keep it around.
    * Vocane Ring - I do not know whether or not I'd use this. It depends on the translation.

I wouldn't be willing to store the other rings and wouldn't pick them up even if I could. So I'd personally be willing to hold 6~8/12 rings and I'm fairly satisfied with just Weatherspoon. If I could pick a second, I'd probably pick Orvail. If I did more Tier 0 synthing, I'd consider picking Orvail over Weatherspoon. As it is, though, I don't.
    (5)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Because picking 1 ring out of 12 is not a shitty design IMO
    In this specific case it is. In another game, or a long time ago or even different types of rings maybe not. But this game is geared to playing multiple jobs, is in the end of it's years where it is pretty much expected you play multiple jobs (don't give me that I only play one job BS. A few might but that is few and a lot might put more effort into one but this will end up pigeon holing them and SE has been going out of it's way to make multi job gear options all around and expanding merits designing content that requires different sorts of tactics etc )and these rings are effectively only good for 1-2 jobs each. Heck a couple of them aren't even good for jobs and only would be picked by people who never actually fight anything. Even previous mission rewards were smart enough to only issue a few options that were a lot more general like tank/melee/mage rewards so that they would be useful to more jobs. Or made some of them really crap so there would be fewer really good options.

At the very least they should offer you the ability to swap rings for a reasonable amount (300k is kinda ridiculous). And from an SE prespective doing something like you can get extra rings at some absurd balyd cost like say 5 million would not really disrupt the game (not many would actually do that for more than 1-2 more let alone quickly) but would be a simple time sink to introduce
    (7)
    Last edited by dasva; 11-10-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Character
    Malphius
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    "I'm paying, SE should listen to me, or else the game would die if SE doesn't listen". That's just not a good way to express opinion about game design.
    You're fixated on that one topic. So much so that you're dismissing everything else.

first person i've ever heard of say that people don't have main jobs anymore.
    Nobody asks what your "main job" is. Now they as "what REM jobs do you have" or "what 119 jobs do you have". The expectation is that you have several very well geared jobs to participate in events with.

So what I could do is puff up my chest, throw a tantrum, and say "I'm a paying customer! Gimme rings for both jobs!!" Or I could do what I am doing, act like an adult, and get one ring for one of the jobs
    No one is doing that. Someone is twisting the issue into that but that's not the argument for selecting 3 rings. This also isn't a negative criticism of SE or the development team. They do a great job creating a fun game. There's just opportunity to get more use out of the great rings they've created while at the same time maintaining a balance of game play and catering to the realities of todays game.

I find it funny that people are complaining about not being able to get more than one ring. It's like a spoiled child getting something, but it's never enough. Some people aren't happy no matter what. But SE even catered to people like you, they made it so your choice isn't permanent.
    I'm far from the only one that didn't want reward choices to be permanent. There were plenty of "people like me" that asked SE to change it which they did. Just because they asked! How is it being a spoiled child when you ask for a change to the game? Also a service i've been paying for since the release. I think people have every right to ask for anything they want. It must be nice to be the only people on the Official Forum to never ask SE to change anything.

I only play 1 job mostly
    I still play PUP for 95% of my online FFXI time.
    The two people making the most noise against multiple rings only play 1 job. There you have it.

Folks, it's not an insult to Square or the developers to ask for a change to the game especially when there is plenty of merit to do so. This game is a business and their business is to offer a service. It's not personal and they don't take it personal. If they had announced the end rewards and you could select up to 3 rings, would the same people be making all this noise against it? Would they be demanding to receive only 1 ring or is this more about whatever the development team does is the way it must be and should be and I don't want to offend the company. I have a feeling it's the later.
    (2)
    "You can't fool all of the people all the time, but if you fool the right ones then the rest will fall in line".

-Dead Prez

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    In this specific case it is. In another game, or a long time ago or even different types of rings maybe not. But this game is geared to playing multiple jobs, is in the end of it's years where it is pretty much expected you play multiple jobs
    You can still play your mage fairly well if you pick DD ring and vice versa. It's only a shitty design if you want to maximize all jobs.

Not allowing the player to maximize ALL jobs is not a shitty design in this game, it's been the design goal for ages. You get merit point system, WS limitation, and you have to make choice for all mission reward as well. Just because Rajas/Suppa/TP bonus moonshade are slightly more powerful than other options, doesn't mean SE didn't force the player to make choice before Adoulin exists.

So why complain now? Why don't you guys complain when SE introduce DM and merit point system? Isn't it obvious that the design goal of this game doesn't allow players to maximize all jobs?
    (2)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    These rings are all very good but they arn't things that are going to make or break your jobs so I don't see any reason to be dramatic about it if they decide to stick with the one ring thing though.
    This. I bet when next ilv come some of them would be replaced and nobody would care anymore. Ppl want more than 2 rings so much to even go out and personal attack anyone disagreeing the opinion is just too over dramatic lol.
    (1)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast