Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Fencer should give accuracy and attack

According to wiki.ffxiclopedia.com/Fencer, the fencer trait grants the following:
    Job Trait Overview
    • Game Description: Increases rate of critical hits when wielding with the main hand only. Grants a TP bonus to weapon skills.
    • Increases rate of critical hits by 5% when wielding with the main hand only. Grants a 40 TP bonus to 1-handed type weapon skills. (See discussion for test info)
    • Job Traits are always active.
    • Does not function with 2-handed weapons or while dual wielding.
    • Does work with ranged weapon skills as long as you are single-wielding with the main hand.
      Functions normally with a shield equipped.
    This doesn't seem like much to me. I think fencer would do better with an attack and accuracy boost. This should give jobs that typically prefer 2-handed weapons for DD'ing another look at single wielding to do more/same amount of damage and increase weapon options for DD's.

Currently, no war or dark in their right minds would consider using a single handed weapon and a shield, for the simple fact that single wielding does significantly less damage than dual wielding.
    (2)
    Last edited by Malthar; 10-23-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Formatting

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Just about he only job that would have actually benefited from fencer, was PLD. But they gave it to WAR. -.-; Oh, right. RNG can make use of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Currently, no war or dark in their right minds would consider using a single handed weapon and a shield, for the simple fact that single wielding does significantly less damage than dual wielding.
    This is true. And no amount of atk bonus is going to change it. If only because of the myriad ways of boosting attack/lowering mob defense already. ACC+ can be pretty useful, but again, there are plenty of ways to work around that issue.

The main advantage of dual wield, is the delay reduction. And the extra hit in ws, plus the stats from the offhand wep are nice too.

If you actually wanted to narrow the gap between single and dualwield using fencer, about the only way to do it would be to add JA haste to fencer. It would give a single wielded 1H weapon a way to approach the delay cap(without needing a DNC main in the pt.)

Anyway, that was my 2 cents.
    (0)

Player
    Fencer should just do for single wielding what Hasso does for 2 handed weapons. Problem solved. But since the only job that uses 1 handed weapons and doesn't have dual wield 3+ natively is BST, Fencer will never be changed.

Could we meet half way, and just give BST dual wield 3 at 95 like every other 1 handed weapon user, and pretend fencer doesn't exist?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Louispv View Post
    Fencer should just do for single wielding what Hasso does for 2 handed weapons. Problem solved. But since the only job that uses 1 handed weapons and doesn't have dual wield 3+ natively is BST, Fencer will never be changed.

Could we meet half way, and just give BST dual wield 3 at 95 like every other 1 handed weapon user, and pretend fencer doesn't exist?
    PLD, RDM, BRD, WHM, GEO will all disagree with you. They use 1 handed weapons and do not have dual wield. If you meant uses 1 handed + doesn't have dual wield + main job having fencer.... you'd still be wrong with BRD.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    PLD, RDM, BRD, WHM, GEO will all disagree with you. They use 1 handed weapons and do not have dual wield. If you meant uses 1 handed + doesn't have dual wield + main job having fencer.... you'd still be wrong with BRD.
    Yes the melee powerhouses with their C and B skills and casting weapons. How could I forget the constant shouts for melee BRDs and RDM's.

The only one that miiight have a complaint is PLD, but any PLD that turns down shields when their entire job is based around them, and then chooses the vastly inferior 1 handed weapons over Great Sword if they wanted to DD, is about as relevant as the melee RDM's.

Hell PLD's basically the only job getting any use out of fencer anyway, since they never have anything but aegis/ochain/Priwen in their offhand, and /WAR is the default for defender/provoke anyway.
    (0)
    Last edited by Louispv; 11-02-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Louispv View Post
    Yes the melee powerhouses with their C and B skills and casting weapons. How could I forget the constant shouts for melee BRDs and RDM's.

The only one that miiight have a complaint is PLD, but any PLD that turns down shields when their entire job is based around them, and then chooses the vastly inferior 1 handed weapons over Great Sword if they wanted to DD, is about as relevant as the melee RDM's.

Hell PLD's basically the only job getting any use out of fencer anyway, since they never have anything but aegis/ochain/Priwen in their offhand, and /WAR is the default for defender/provoke anyway.
    ok you can stop talking now. your ignorance is so vast that i fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.

PLD isn't choosing to DD. Why would they turn down shield when using a 1-handed sword? I think you meant turn down a shield in order to use a great sword. And fencer can't be used if using a great sword so why would they even choose that. This whole thread is about Fencer so i don't even know why you brought it up.

My brd melees in salvage every day. I have solo'd pandemonium warden, arch dyna bosses, and have melee'd NMs in delve with that relevant melee rdm. just because you don't know people or you don't personally play jobs to their fullest doesn't mean people out there don't know how to. PLD has A+ skill btw, though you might have been referring to the other jobs. they are all B- to B+ btw, while they have other weapon types that are C, they aren't commonly used. The difference between B and A+ is not much, only 26 skill. I have no issues hitting things. While the difference between those skill rankings was huge at 75 cap, not so much nowadays. Before food/songs/rolls I have 921 accuracy and 905 attack on rdm in my full accuracy set (still have 26% haste too). In my normal TP set I have 830 accuracy and 906 attack before food/songs/rolls.

And your little quip about "melee powerhouses": the jobs I listed are designed for other roles but are capable of doing damage, though nothing comparable to say a SAM (which is to be expected as it would be way unbalanced for them to be able to do so).... BST isn't a melee powerhouse either for that matter.
    (0)