Thread: Classic Server

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    There are no Walmarts in Japan. But that is not even the point they have this awesome tech district in Toyko called Shinjiku that has aweosme electronics stores, but that is not the point.
    Servers don't just operate like your home PC. they are a little bit more touche and temperamental. You can't just go buy a one terabite drive and stick it in. Most servers for things like MMOs are part of huge farms that the parent company uses for their whole company. So it is not just oh this one server is for FFXI. Server is a subjective term for allocated area of space for a program that allows others access.
    I mentioned in the other post that if you look hard enough you will find plenty of "classic" privet servers. But SE has been cracking down on them hard lately. Which is absolutely silly if the PS was not charging money. I'm sure there are still some out there somewhere.
    Actually I have looked hard enough and know exactly what you are referring to and have been watching projects like this for years. They are not, and will not be what people are looking for, at least anytime soon. And the stability of them is garbage to say the least, let alone the functionality. This is neither here nor there also considering people on the forums could care less what a third party does, let alone the discussion is prohibited on the forums.

Did you just say I don't get the point? While also commenting that Japan doesn't have a walmart without apparently getting my point? On top of it all, servers DO work in terms you can back stuff up, and transfer data. Apparently SE doesn't know how to do such things though?
    (0)

Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    You really think Square Enix is keeping backups of 6+ year old game data for no reason other than possibly appeasing some handful of people who can't stop living in the past?

These people have this naive feeling that the old Valkrum Dunes and Yhoator Jungle will be filled with noobs again waiting to be MPKed. That they would find constatly people to play with for a whole day in those areas to get 5-10 levels or maybe even delevel at the end of the day.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    There are no Walmarts in Japan. But that is not even the point they have this awesome tech district in Toyko called Shinjiku that has aweosme electronics stores, but that is not the point.
    Servers don't just operate like your home PC. they are a little bit more touche and temperamental. You can't just go buy a one terabite drive and stick it in. Most servers for things like MMOs are part of huge farms that the parent company uses for their whole company. So it is not just oh this one server is for FFXI. Server is a subjective term for allocated area of space for a program that allows others access.
    I mentioned in the other post that if you look hard enough you will find plenty of "classic" privet servers. But SE has been cracking down on them hard lately. Which is absolutely silly if the PS was not charging money. I'm sure there are still some out there somewhere.
    Ease of accomplishing it or not, its regular practice to backup your software even for mmo companies or these kinds of classic servers wouldn't exist anywhere so we cant say they don't have it unless they tell us so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectreman View Post
    These people have this naive feeling that the old Valkrum Dunes and Yhoator Jungle will be filled with noobs again waiting to be MPKed. That they would find constatly people to play with for a whole day in those areas to get 5-10 levels or maybe even delevel at the end of the day.
    In what way is that your problem? I think the population would be fine but thats irrelevant to you as you don't want the server. If you don't want it, why do you care if people are on it having party troubles? (if your response is that you don't care then why are you here when it doesn't affect you)
    (0)
    Last edited by Natasha; 09-13-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    this is a great idea and i don't see why people are arguing it, we don't want their current servers to go away...well we do but we're not asking for that, we're asking to make everyone happy
    (2)

Character
    Seig
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    First off, I do want to say that this is a cool idea. I would love to party with people again in the traditional manner. However, I Think it would be risky on their part. A lot of people keep saying, "what if it works, it will be great. People would come back to the game and everything would be awesome." However, no one asks the question of "What if it doesn't work." It would most likely cost them a lot of money. And if it does not work, it could possibly spell the end for ffxi. I would also like to throw out there that they were losing players while the cap was still at 75. Which is why they did a server merge. I believe they did the server merge on the exact update that Abyssea and level 80 cap was introduced.

Now, a little off topic here, but this is directed towards Jblauh. I honestly can't believe you have the nerve to call someone else in these forums an idiot or an asshole when you seem like the biggest one of them all (which also makes you a hypocrite). Let me ask you, does it make you feel like a big man to threaten people left and right to kick there ass over the internet. See there is a name for something like that. It is called "Cyber Bullying." You should look it up. Keep in mind I am not trying to start something with you. You may not even realize what you are doing, but I figured I would point it out.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkoko View Post
    First off, I do want to say that this is a cool idea. I would love to party with people again in the traditional manner. However, I Think it would be risky on their part. A lot of people keep saying, "what if it works, it will be great. People would come back to the game and everything would be awesome." However, no one asks the question of "What if it doesn't work." It would most likely cost them a lot of money. And if it does not work, it could possibly spell the end for ffxi. I would also like to throw out there that they were losing players while the cap was still at 75. Which is why they did a server merge. I believe they did the server merge on the exact update that Abyssea and level 80 cap was introduced.

Now, a little off topic here, but this is directed towards Jblauh. I honestly can't believe you have the nerve to call someone else in these forums an idiot or an asshole when you seem like the biggest one of them all (which also makes you a hypocrite). Let me ask you, does it make you feel like a big man to threaten people left and right to kick there ass over the internet. See there is a name for something like that. It is called "Cyber Bullying." You should look it up. Keep in mind I am not trying to start something with you. You may not even realize what you are doing, but I figured I would point it out.
    I have considered the impact and I think it would be minimal if done smartly. I've already suggested the idea that, considering pops on current servers are small that they do a merge and use one of the servers people were merged out of to make this classic server. So there would be no added server costs, just the time it takes to set up the server which could vary a bit but I don't think its something that SE can't handle even if the project were a failure which I don't think it will be.

Your second paragraph... not helping, don't pick a fight.
    (0)

Character
    Seig
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    You could be right. Like I said, I think it is a cool idea. I could also see the dev team seeing it as risky if it does cost them a lot money. Right now FFXI is bringing them steady income and I can see them not wanting to risk everything when they are still getting something out of it

As far as my second paragraph goes, maybe I got a little out of hand, but I also feel it was important to point out that he is being a cyber bully. Though I don't agree with everything Zachery and Draylo say, I have never seen them threaten to beat the crap out of someone through the computer. I will behave though lol
    (0)

8. 09-13-2014 03:32 AM

9. 09-13-2014 03:33 AM

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkoko View Post
    However, I Think it would be risky on their part. A lot of people keep saying, "what if it works, it will be great. People would come back to the game and everything would be awesome." However, no one asks the question of "What if it doesn't work."
    Speaking for myself, I haven't ignored that possibility. That's why I think it would be a good idea to gauge the amount of interest first before moving forward, with something along the lines of a community poll that anyone could be a part of. No harm in testing the waters to see how interested people would be in the idea.

Besides, on the other side of the community, plenty of Japanese folks have expressed interest in a classic server. Both on 2ch and on the official forums, it's a topic that comes up almost regularly.

I would think that with the combined amount of interest from both sides of the community, there would be more than enough players to support a single classic server (or possibly more, as in Lineage 2's case).
    (0)

Character
    Seig
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    It's no problem. I am not going to claim myself as Mr. Innocent. I have been guilty in the past myself. Not everyone realizes what they are saying or doing until it is pointed out to them. I know I have needed people to point stuff out to me too lol.
    (0)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The world is full of what ifs. The same could be directed towards what if it does work. What if releasing these servers created so much success SE could develop further FFXI content without any resource constraints. The idea behind this isn't what if it didn't work, but provided success that it did work with our limited knowledge of other companies that have taken advantage of things like this with success, so why not. Of course there is always a realm of possibility that it wouldn't be successful, but we are straying away from that idea because that is a realm of possibility in everything. There is a chance I go outside and get hit by a car at the bottom of my driveway.
    (1)

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast