Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Dev Team
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Now that the game is winding down, will is be possible to have the first 17-18 Vanadiel Tribunes translated to fill people in on the lore that they gave? We got all the ones after NA launch, but the earlier ones were neglected.

Also, in PlayOnline Viewer, my avatar icon doesn't show up. I picked Elly Van Houten when I started on JP PS2 back in 2002. I noticed that after I got my account region changed, she doesn't show up in the English PlayOnline Viewer. There appear to be several avatar categories that don't display on the English client. Could we have those listed?
    Good day, bungiefanNA,

The Vana'diel Tribune certainly was a highlight back in the day, and I understand the desire to get some of the earlier issues translated. That would be a large undertaking, and I'm not sure how feasible it would be to localize them at this juncture with the amount of content coming between now and November--and, unfortunately, it's not my call to make. But consider the request duly noted!

As for the PlayOnline viewer, I'm afraid I can't help you terribly much. The community team would certainly like to hear your feedback about it, so be sure to post it in a subforum that'll grab their attention more quickly!

Unelonborro
    Localization Lead
    (3)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Thank you so much for your work, I greatly appreciate it.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I love this thread. For many years I’ve appreciated the work the localization team does on XI. You guys do a fantastic job. I could list many examples from story moments and character dialog, but I’ll stick to one of my favorite elements: artifact, relic and empyrean equipment names.

The names of artifact and relic equipment were a way to imagine my character graduating to the next level of his discipline. Through hard work and study I was promoted from a Red Mage to a Warlock! And then a Duelist! It was like getting a fancy new title at work, but with a more badass name. Just as important, it reminded me of the famous class evolution of FF1 that I’ve loved since I played the original on the NES decades ago.

Artifact and relic names were mostly familiar to anyone with a fantasy background. This wasn’t a bad thing; they evoked nostalgia along with that feeling of graduation to the next level. However, when the Empyrean armor sets came out, you guys took the title promotion up another notch with obscure references that were totally fitting, but also new to many people. I actually spent a few hours one night researching all of those names. Some of them were good but obvious, like Creed and Savant, but I had a blast with Goetia, Orison, Estoqueur, Mavi, and many others. Once again Final Fantasy was teaching me something. Excellent job on these!

I was happy to see this become a trend. When reforged armor was announced, my secret hope was for new titles, and not just bland “Duelist’s Tights +3”. I was ecstatic to see more interesting names used in all three reforged sets, as well as the GEO and RUN armor. My favorites are Arbatel (which I had never heard before but enjoyed reading about) and Azimuth (which I actually vaguely recalled from my college days as a math major).

Now for my questions:
    1. What exactly is Vitivation from? I can make sense of vitiation, but not vitivation. I have to admit though, vitivation actually rolls off my tongue better.
    2. I know absolutely no Japanese. Are the JSE names translations of the same word in Japanese or do you guys come up with your own “new titles” for us?
    3. I would love to know more about the process of deciding on these names from empyrean to reforged sets. I think it’s fantastic that you watched YouTube Waltzes for hours to decide on Contradance. What kind of research went into Arbatel and Azimuth? Where on Earth did you pull Estoqueur from? By the way, I still find it funny that Duelist and Estoqueur sets have no melee stats on them while the Warlock set does, but the names themselves sound great
    (3)

Player
    Would it be possible for the localization team to clue us in how the proper pronounciations of this extremely difficult names?

Xzomit? (Zomit? Exzomit? Kisomit?)
    Hu'Xzoi (Hu exoy? Hu soy?)
    Pso 'Xja (So Ja?)
    Abdhaljs (Abdal-jis?)

Also what compelled you guys to name placed that have unusual consonant pairs. It almost seems like you slam your head on the keyboard or throw darts at a board with random letters. Sorry if that was insulting but these are the strangest name out of any MMORPG I have ever played, or any video game for that manner.

Also finally, I know this is more of a lore kind of thing and you guys may not be able to answer it but will we ever learn what the naming convention prefixes for Zilart things mean? I would hate for FFXI to end without these questions being answered either in game or through whoever's in charge of story boards. There must have been a reason behind these prefixes.

Ru'
    Ra'
    Hu'
    Aw'
    Au'
    Ix'
    Om'
    Ul'
    Eo'

etc...
    (1)

Character
    Dawezy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Another name question! (sorry! ^^;.)

Back when I first unlocked PUP and went through the Automaton naming process I was blown away by the variety of options - I went for Herzog because it reminded me of an old game on the SEGA Genesis that I used to ace as a kid, Herzog Zwei, but there was a mountain of other options I probably would picked.. so, that being said; Did the Devs just scribble down a army of random names and pull them from the hat and chose those for the in-game list? or were all these names related to something irl?

One name I could call out from the list is Calcobrena, that was from FFIV.
    (0)

Since you handled localization and know about the new character introduced in Rapsodies...

My question is :

In your opinion, will she be an even better waifu than Arciela?
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Dev Team
    Good day, everyone,

I have some more time to answer your questions now that my work for the May patch is done. In terms of text volume, it's approximately equal to the November patch, when the final chapter of Seekers of Adoulin was released--and this is the shortest of the three chapters in Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    I love this thread. For many years I’ve appreciated the work the localization team does on XI. You guys do a fantastic job. I could list many examples from story moments and character dialog, but I’ll stick to one of my favorite elements: artifact, relic and empyrean equipment names.

The names of artifact and relic equipment were a way to imagine my character graduating to the next level of his discipline. Through hard work and study I was promoted from a Red Mage to a Warlock! And then a Duelist! It was like getting a fancy new title at work, but with a more badass name. Just as important, it reminded me of the famous class evolution of FF1 that I’ve loved since I played the original on the NES decades ago.

Artifact and relic names were mostly familiar to anyone with a fantasy background. This wasn’t a bad thing; they evoked nostalgia along with that feeling of graduation to the next level. However, when the Empyrean armor sets came out, you guys took the title promotion up another notch with obscure references that were totally fitting, but also new to many people. I actually spent a few hours one night researching all of those names. Some of them were good but obvious, like Creed and Savant, but I had a blast with Goetia, Orison, Estoqueur, Mavi, and many others. Once again Final Fantasy was teaching me something. Excellent job on these!

I was happy to see this become a trend. When reforged armor was announced, my secret hope was for new titles, and not just bland “Duelist’s Tights +3”. I was ecstatic to see more interesting names used in all three reforged sets, as well as the GEO and RUN armor. My favorites are Arbatel (which I had never heard before but enjoyed reading about) and Azimuth (which I actually vaguely recalled from my college days as a math major).

Now for my questions:
    1. What exactly is Vitivation from? I can make sense of vitiation, but not vitivation. I have to admit though, vitivation actually rolls off my tongue better.
    2. I know absolutely no Japanese. Are the JSE names translations of the same word in Japanese or do you guys come up with your own “new titles” for us?
    3. I would love to know more about the process of deciding on these names from empyrean to reforged sets. I think it’s fantastic that you watched YouTube Waltzes for hours to decide on Contradance. What kind of research went into Arbatel and Azimuth? Where on Earth did you pull Estoqueur from? By the way, I still find it funny that Duelist and Estoqueur sets have no melee stats on them while the Warlock set does, but the names themselves sound great
    Thank you for your comments and questions, Merton9999!

I've commented a bit about the way we name equipment earlier in the thread, but here's the Reader's Digest version: has to fit in 9 katakana or fewer when rendered into Japanese, has to match with what the equipment does, and has to be a word we haven't yet used in equipment to date. The process was a lot easier when all we had were wax swords and cesti, but it has grown very complicated now that we have over 20,000 pieces of equipment, items, and attachments and are still tied to the same restrictions.

That said, we have had a numerous number of translators over the life of this project, and each lead has their own philosophy of how items should be named in a way that still evokes fantasy images that are worthy of the Final Fantasy brand. For me personally, artifact/relic/mythic/empyrean armor and weapons should have a much more special feel about them that makes the player feel "this is cool, and the name just fits with what a white mage/corsair/thief should be using." Interestingly enough, this restriction breeds a lot of freedom: when a piece can be equipped by 10 different jobs, the name naturally becomes more generic, but with the above types of items we can really dig deep into what a particular job would use or where. I'm glad to hear that you liked them! As for your questions:

1. Vitiation is a word, whereas vitivation is not. We argued this one back and forth for probably a week, and eventually decided that "vitivation" rolled a little bit better of the tongue, so that's what we ended up going with. What do you think? Does it sound better to you, or would you perfer we stay faithful to the word? There's no right or wrong answer, so feel free to offer your insight!

2. Most things in the game are named by the localize team and then put into Japanese from there. The armor, weapons, monsters, spells, abilities, monster abilities, beastmaster pet names, attachments, NPCs, actors (things like veridical confluxes), most titles, and content and system names (like Vagary or Unity) are all named by the localization team. Things that the Japanese devs name and we translate include quest names, usable/unusable items, key items (almost all the time), some titles, and ninja/samurai equipment. There's probably some stuff I'm missing, too, but that about covers it.

As for number 3, see my comment above! I will say that we try to nail down one aspect of each job to focus on. For the azimuth attire, for example, one aspect of geomancers in XI is their focus on circles and spheres. You can see it in a lot of the ability names (concentric pulse, etc.) and also in the way the geocolure and indicolure spells operate.
    (3)

Dev Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Would it be possible for the localization team to clue us in how the proper pronounciations of this extremely difficult names?

Xzomit? (Zomit? Exzomit? Kisomit?)
    Hu'Xzoi (Hu exoy? Hu soy?)
    Pso 'Xja (So Ja?)
    Abdhaljs (Abdal-jis?)

Also what compelled you guys to name placed that have unusual consonant pairs. It almost seems like you slam your head on the keyboard or throw darts at a board with random letters. Sorry if that was insulting but these are the strangest name out of any MMORPG I have ever played, or any video game for that manner.

Also finally, I know this is more of a lore kind of thing and you guys may not be able to answer it but will we ever learn what the naming convention prefixes for Zilart things mean? I would hate for FFXI to end without these questions being answered either in game or through whoever's in charge of story boards. There must have been a reason behind these prefixes.

Ru'
    Ra'
    Hu'
    Aw'
    Au'
    Ix'
    Om'
    Ul'
    Eo'

etc...
    Good day, Ophannus!

As for your first question: here we go:

Xzomit: ZOH-mitt
    Hu'Xzoi: who-ZOI
    Pso 'Xja: SEW-ja
    Abdhaljs: AB-dolls

As for our unusual naming tendencies, you'll notice that over time we have moved toward more grokkable area names, particularly in the Adoulin areas: less "Bostaunieux Oubliette" more "Kamihr Drifts." This reflects the tendencies of whoever was the lead translator at the time. I make it a point to visit fan sites and unofficial forums, where players tend to be more frank about their opinions, and I know that many of you refer to Bostaunieux Oubliette as "Boston Omelette." This tickles me to no end, but when I became lead, the devs and I agreed that things should take on a more direct approach--something that was memorable yet easy to remember. What do you think about the shift in direction?

As for the Zilart names--let me see if I can find someone more knowledgeable about the topic than I. Saito-san is currently swamped with event-related content, but I'll try to catch him over the weekend when he's more relaxed.
    (6)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    That's so awesome, I wish you guys had like a dev notes thing where you talk about how you came to different decisions and stuff. I find it interesting to read, thanks!
    (2)

Dev Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawezy View Post
    Another name question! (sorry! ^^;.)

Back when I first unlocked PUP and went through the Automaton naming process I was blown away by the variety of options - I went for Herzog because it reminded me of an old game on the SEGA Genesis that I used to ace as a kid, Herzog Zwei, but there was a mountain of other options I probably would picked.. so, that being said; Did the Devs just scribble down a army of random names and pull them from the hat and chose those for the in-game list? or were all these names related to something irl?

One name I could call out from the list is Calcobrena, that was from FFIV.
    Good day, Dawezy!

The puppetmaster stuff was a bit before me time, but there may be someone around who can remember how they chose the names. Almost certainly someone in localize named them, though, so I'll hit a couple people up.
    (4)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast