Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I'm 99% confident that a few years ago the game was down for almost 20 hours while they performed server "hardware" upgrades. At that point, one of several things happened:

- The servers were moved to multiple virtual machines running on one super-computer (ie, 32 processors, 256GB RAM etc) - This is now a common practice with server farms to save space and be more energy efficient. Not to mention it's cheaper.
    - The Hardware was actually upgraded to today's standards.

As for the language the server software is programmed in - no one can truly know, but i'd hazard a guess at C. While programming languages have become easier to use and more accessible; the power of their ability to work with numbers isn't that different between 'then and now'. When you compile it, it all ends up as ASM anyway.

I just feel this excuse is a poor one; or as I suggested earlier the current developers were left legacy spaghetti to work with - which isn't optimized and therefor causes artificial strain. More trouble than it is worth to clean up. Who knows.
    (1)

the spaghetti code has been the cause of many a blunder... I wouldn't be surprised if thats the root of it.

Pets getting Samba

SATA working with ranged WS

Elemental Siphon animation not working properly, they fix it then the text is broken, so they just reverted it and said "fuggit".

so on lol
    (0)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    I'm 99% confident that a few years ago the game was down for almost 20 hours while they performed server "hardware" upgrades. At that point, one of several things happened:

- The servers were moved to multiple virtual machines running on one super-computer (ie, 32 processors, 256GB RAM etc) - This is now a common practice with server farms to save space and be more energy efficient. Not to mention it's cheaper.
    - The Hardware was actually upgraded to today's standards.

As for the language the server software is programmed in - no one can truly know, but i'd hazard a guess at C. While programming languages have become easier to use and more accessible; the power of their ability to work with numbers isn't that different between 'then and now'. When you compile it, it all ends up as ASM anyway.

I just feel this excuse is a poor one; or as I suggested earlier the current developers were left legacy spaghetti to work with - which isn't optimized and therefor causes artificial strain. More trouble than it is worth to clean up. Who knows.
    It compiles down to machine code (instruction set). Assembly (ASM) is a language that is very close to machine code.
    (0)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5