Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Xsilver
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

Concern about proposed DRG adjustments in September

The developers mentioned speeding up the charge time for breaths during the next update but this may have unintended consequences. Many DRGs rely on the moderate delay of Healing Breath's activation in order to equip the proper equipment to boost its effectivness. Since equipment that has "Wyvern HP + X%" takes about 1-2 seconds to be recognized by the server(Opposed to Wyvern HP +X"), if the Breath activates too quickly, the benefit from the +% gear will become much harder to use. Removing the "percent" aspect from those pieces of equipment that increase Wyvern HP would be a step in the right direction since it takes comparitevly long for the server to calculate the HP%. Many times it isn't calculated fast enough between the time we hit our "Healing Breath" macro, with the gear included, and the breath actually activating, so any potency that HP% gear grants is lost. Maybe change pieces that have HP+% to simply "Enhances Wyvern Breath Potency" to a similar effect, or just HP+300 or something.

Additionally, many DRGs swap to equipment that enhances Wyvern Breath Attacks immediately after a weapon skill(Glassblower Belt, Relic Helmet, Lancer's Torque etc) to increase breath damage. If the Breath goes off too quickly after a weapon skill, this again would be too hard to use. Also Wyvern Breaths would not be able to skillchain if they fire off too quickly(although a magic burst Wyvern breath only benefits from increased accuracy anyway)

I would rather elemental Breaths damage be boosted dramatically to a value 2-3x greater than their current power, to justify the charge time it takes to use(and the loss of 1-2 attack rounds) rather than speeding them up too much.

Also as Ophannus mentioned a year ago, a Job Ability 'stance' that prevents the Wyvern from using Breaths or locks their TP from being expended upon every breath would be a great way for DRG to benefit from the aspect of Spirit Link that draws TP from the Wyvern. That property of the JA is hard to use because Wyverns spend all their TP every few seconds, whenever a DRG uses a WS(an Wyvern TP adds minimal benefit to Wyvern's TP), maybe channging it so Wyvern Breaths don't spend TP unless used with Restoring/Smiting Breath, so we can use the TP transfer aspect of Spirit Link more tactically for increasing our weapon skill frequency further in battle?
    (5)
    Last edited by Xsilver; 08-19-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Character
    Aisleblocker
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    As much as i agree with you. Lets take this win we got today and run with it. And lets hope the haste effect is JA haste and not gear haste.
    (6)

Character
    Rendra
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    This is something we've been asking for, for a long time. I for one don't mind that we'll have to readjust our macros to get breaths to work correctly. I'm just happy that they finally gave in and gave us what we've asking for since this job was added to the game.
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Additionally, there's only one relevant piece of gear that still uses Wyvern: HP+% on it, which is the Vishap Brais/+1. Pteroslaver Greaves moved to HP+#, and Wyvern Mail, Ostreger Mitts, and Updraft Mantle (or Lancer's Pelerine) are all HP+#. So maybe to fix your issue, you simply trigger Healing Breath in your Vishap legs (+23/50 HP on them anyway!) and then by the time the breath goes off and takes hold, it should have calculated the Breath potency. For post-Weapon Skill breaths, that's a bit harder short of WSing in them, but until I see the Strafe trait + merit combo and see that it makes Wyvern breaths relevant, I'm not too unhappy about a gimped breath doing gimped damage. =x

That being said, bring on September! I'm excited to see Dragoon be revitalized.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensagaku View Post
    For post-Weapon Skill breaths, that's a bit harder short of WSing in them, but until I see the Strafe trait + merit combo and see that it makes Wyvern breaths relevant, I'm not too unhappy about a gimped breath doing gimped damage. =x
    Elemental breaths use CURRENT wyvern HP in the damage calculation. So you don't swap in WHP+ gear in any case. Only enhances breath gear like wyrm armet, or lancer's torque would be used for elemental breaths.

And even then, you'd only swap in post ws if you were in a low haste situation. At capped haste, you're almost certain to land a melee hit before the breath fires and you swap back to TP gear.

With a 1 second charge time, post update, perhaps swapping in breath+ gear post WS will be more viable.
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Pardon, I've never paid much attention to elemental breaths because their damage output has been rather low. xD; I'm used to healing breath! But thank you for that correction.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Xsilver
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    The Brais' HP+20% not being accounted is still a solid 300ish HP potency to healing breath. I wish they would do something about it like changing the HP on Brais to a static amount instead of a percentage, say like Wyvern HP+300 instead of 20%. It's hard to use % gear for Healing Breath and since that's all Wyvern HP gear is useful for, Artifact Legs/Brais have lost a lot of value unless you equip it, wait 3-4 seconds, then use Healing Breath(not practical in any situation)

This, however makes DRG solo a joke since HB will activate instantly, not more "OH SH--!" moments when you're sitting at 5HP and waiting 2-3 seconds for HB to activate as you pray that the mob misses its next attack before you get healed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Xsilver; 08-27-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Character
    Aisleblocker
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    Ill take the increase in dps for lower healing breaths if needed.
    (1)

Greetings,

With the amount of time required for a breath to activate, it will somewhat affect the timing for swapping out equipment for Healing Breath enhancements making it a bit trickier, but we would like you all to actually try this out when it goes live and then let us know your feedback in regards to the usage.

Additionally, I’d like to give a bit more information regarding the upcoming adjustments.
    • Haste effect
      The new haste effect gained by the dragoon as a wyvern’s level rise will stack with equipment haste as well as magical haste effects similar to Hasso and Spirit Surge.
    • Strafe
      At the level 80 stage for the Strafe job trait, breath accuracy will cumulatively be +100.
    (5)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Character
    Minikomby
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    with all new gear, cap haste is mega easy, making new haste effect similar to hasso really isnt going to help much out, instead could count it towards magic haste
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast