Thread: Mixing Runes

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99

Mixing Runes

Does any one mix Runes of different Elements?
    If so, what scenarios make this beneficial?
    Just wondering why:
    1) Runes aren't applied simultaneously and
    2) Runes aren't tracked with a little number like Dancer Finishing Moves.

If there is a use for multiple rune types, great. Enlighten me.
    If not, I'd like to be able to fully swap runes when Elemental Magic of different types are cast.
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    using 3 different runes grants resistance against 3 different elements, its just weaker than using 3 all the same rune
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I'm not sure about your questions, but mixing runes is very situational, imo. Generally, I'll keep up one type of Rune if I know a boss focuses on one type of damage; if I were to take it to Delve, for example (hypothetical, I haven't done so yet!) I'd use Unda against Tojil, Sulpor against the shark, etc. However, against targets that use multiple elemental abilities, I'll generally keep up two types of runes. An example I can use from earlier on is when I used to solo Tapana in WoE Flux... 11, I think? Either way, he's very fond of ice-elemental magic (Blizzaga IV particularly) as well as Paralyga. However, he also uses Blindga and some of his TP moves are dark-element (as I discovered when I accidentally absorbed a Raksha: Vengeance) so I'll keep up one Dark rune to resist Blindga a bit more easily as well as being able to toss up a Liement for either element for a quick absorb, should I choose it.

For the most part, you'll generally stick to one type of Rune, but there are niche situations to using multiple runes. The reason you want to stick to one is because the three resistance boosts stack together to give you a much higher one, increasing your elemental resistance to that element significantly. If you use another rune, your first resistance is cut by 1/3, making you less likely to resist. So it's not often a good idea to mix rune types unless you know you're going to do a quick defensive ability to complement it.

As for your two points... I'm not sure what you're asking about in 1); what do you mean they're not applied simultaneously? Like, in their usage? It's a JA that has a cooldown, nothing more. As for 2), you don't need to have the dancer finishing moves thing because you can only have three runes active and you have one symbol for each you have active, even if they're the same type. You could have three Unda buffs up, which means three Unda Runes are active, and a new rune will overwrite the oldest.

As for swapping all at once, I wouldn't complain. XD; I'd like that.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I just want to know a good reason for mixing Runes.
    I'm trying to make up my mind if rune Fencer has an issue with not enough streamlining, or not enough rewards on the power set.

If a system has to be more complex, it should offer rewards for the increased complexity.
    If this post is correct: June Updates, then one benefit of multiple Rune Enchantment activations for a Tank is gone (Enmity generation).
    We're left with a system that adds complexity (multiple manual activations) for little benefit.

So, would it be better then to streamline the process and give a full 'Stack' of Runes per activation?
    It would lower the complexity, for sure. You could then illustrate the number of stacked Runes like Utsusemi, or Finishing Moves, with a number in the lower right corner of the Rune. This would address the complaints of not being able to swap Rune types quickly, one activation would refill all Rune Slots to the new type.

However, you could also increase the reward for stacking Runes.
    By that I mean that Rune damage is fine (Swipe, Lunge, additional damage), but the Defense aspect could yield more rewards commensurate to the above issue of swapping Runes out quickly.
    What if Elemental Defense effects cared about the Number of Runes total instead of the number of Runes of a type.

For Example: let's say each Rune you stack gives 30 Elemental Resistance.
    One Gelus gives 30 Wind Resistance.
    A Second Gelus gives a total of 60 Wind Resistance.
    Adding a Lux Rune would then give a total of 90 Wind Resistance and 90 Dark Resistance.

This would give you the ability to stack more of a correct offensive type Rune, but give the ability for a single Rune activation to cover a Defensive shift quickly.
    Example: I have three Ignis Runes active and I see a monster starting to cast Thunder V. One Tellus activation will provide full Thunder Resistance capacity without having to swap out the other two Ignis Runes.
    If Swipe always expends the most recent Rune used, You can Swipe and use Ignis again for triple Ignis again, if need be.

As for whether something like this should extend to Vallation effects, I don't know.
    Vivacious Pulse could benefit, however.
    I've seen complaints on Tenebrae Rune MP restoration.
    Not as in it's bad, but in that you have to swap to 3 Tenebrae Runes to get the effect.
    If you only had to throw in 1 Tenebrae Rune to get the MP, that's a tactical choice people might make.
    The first solution of fully stocking a 'stack' of Runes addresses this particular issue as well, though.
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Einalem View Post
    I just want to know a good reason for mixing Runes.
    For Example: let's say each Rune you stack gives 30 Elemental Resistance.
    One Gelus gives 30 Wind Resistance.
    A Second Gelus gives a total of 60 Wind Resistance.
    Adding a Lux Rune would then give a total of 90 Wind Resistance and 90 Dark Resistance.
    the main issue I see with that(assuming I'm understanding your idea correctly) is then there would be no defensive point to stacking the same rune 3 times, unless your proposing that stacking the third same time rune also confer some non linear static bonus on top of the normal resistance provided... because why would anyone choose 90 wind resistance over 90 wind AND 90 dark resistance?
    (0)

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    because why would anyone choose 90 wind resistance over 90 wind AND 90 dark resistance?
    Offensive Reasons.
    Lunge/Gambit/Rayke all reward Runic Linearity.
    You want 3 of the same type of Runes here.

The issues cited in general with Rune Fencer are Defensive issues, not Offensive ones.
    It currently takes 10~15 seconds to swap out 3 rune types over 3 /ja activations.
    Of course 90 Wind and Dark is better, but the point of the post you're quoting is to show that there are methods that could be employed to give RUN more Defensive flexibility.
    In fact, there's an entirely second method right after that first line you quoted that's deleted out.
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I was speaking for the purpose of defense, maybe its just the way I play rune, but lunge/gambit seem unnecessary, I tend to forget they're even there lol, of course that being said I've never had defensive issues on rune ether, the few times I've done content on it anyway, although when you need to switch rune it is a bit time consuming, I wish they would change the rune enhancement merit back so it reduced recast to 0, that would take the edge off of it, and since runes don't make enmity now anyway its not like spamming them back to back would be particularly OP
    I didn't mean to sound like I was disregarding your idea, I was just trying to make sure I was understanding your intention correctly
    (0)