SCH Storm Question

Hi All You Scholars out there, I have a random question. I play SMN/SCH and use the storm spells to lower prep and increase elemental siphon. But this evening after I used Windstorm, I was told to switch to Firestorm, because it was messing with another player's (SCH/BLM) Firestorm effect by not being the same. Is this true? I've never heard of a synergy bonus with the spells. I know that they augment their elements, and a merited SCH can boost stats, but this is new to me. Mind you, I only cast it on myself, and never anyone else.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    Mind you, I only cast it on myself, and never anyone else.
    They were being dumb then. First thought reading it was you were Accessioning the storm, but if it's only on yourself, then he was mistaken.
    (1)

OP, you should have responded by asking the BLM to Manafont so that you could cast some spells free of MP.

Anyways, there's more than enough gear available now to make your avatar completely free without using storm spells. Also, they don't really boost Siphon as much as you think because you have to subtract the storm spell's cost from the bonus MP gained. SCH's main benefit to SMN was Reraise, but now that Cait Sith provides it RDM is by far the better subjob.
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AppropriateName5786 View Post
    SCH's main benefit to SMN was Reraise, but now that Cait Sith provides it RDM is by far the better subjob.
    I'd argue Sch is still better, as you're capable of using Dark Arts and nuking with the best. Smn is on all of the nuking staves, Hagondes, and 119 plasm set. Granted, it depends on the content you're doing, solo or party, and whether or not you really need that refresh.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    I'd argue Sch is still better, as you're capable of using Dark Arts and nuking with the best. Smn is on all of the nuking staves, Hagondes, and 119 plasm set. Granted, it depends on the content you're doing, solo or party, and whether or not you really need that refresh.
    I hope you're joking about nuking on SMN, but if you're not then kudos for playing in a creative way. Wearing MAB/M.Acc gear would mean your avatar is costing you 10+ mp/tick depending on how much gear you swap out, all while you're losing even more MP nuking. I just pull out my staff and whack things with Haste/Phalanx on when soloing. To each his own.
    (1)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    I hope you're joking about nuking on SMN, but if you're not then kudos for playing in a creative way. Wearing MAB/M.Acc gear would mean your avatar is costing you 10+ mp/tick depending on how much gear you swap out, all while you're losing even more MP nuking. I just pull out my staff and whack things with Haste/Phalanx on when soloing. To each his own.
    Not joking at all. Precast switch to MAB gear, switch back to -perp gear after the spell completes, back to MAB when nuking again, bonus points for watching for your perp tics and nuking inbetween them, to avoid the large jump in tics. Stone 1 is pretty much all I ever use, as anything else is generally a terrible use of MP. But an extra 1-1.3k-ish damage for 4 MP is well worth the effort IMO. It's hardly an issue in party play. However, in solo play, it can be iffy because avatars still lose hate rather quickly.
    (2)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I wouldn't say /SCH is the best sub overall, and definitely not if your playstyle is pure MP conservation. /RDM will always reign the highest in that regard. In my opinion, there is no best sub. S@#% is situational.

I agree, Nuking is very viable supplement damage on SMN/SCH, especially in older content. SMN has a lot of access to Magic Damage and MAB gear. In most older content, I have more MP than I know what to do with if I'm in melee range whacking with my staff for Spirit Taker. If I don't mind the potential of getting enmity or taking a few hits, I will use /SCH. I'll have macros that will swap to MAB to drop a 1200+ dmg helix and/or tier 1 and swap back to perpetuation after cast. If I drop below 1/2 MP. I stop nuking, build TP to 100% and Spirit Taker it all back. I don't even use Sublimation most of the time, more an emergency fluke if Spirit Taker misses and I could use the MP.
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    smn/sch gets access to some insane nuke sets (hagondes etc etc.) your tier 1 should do at least 1.5k+ upwards depending ontarget and your gear... YES SMN/SCH CAN NUKE
    (2)