Thread: Fighting Maat

Character
    Paulus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfrYRwFOrqA

This is a later attempt that I did. Even though I was at a higher level the fight generally should go like this as maat is usually a tough customer to handle without good instincts.
    (0)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xikeroth View Post
    I melee'd maat to death years ago. you DON'T have to nuke sleep him if you play properly so don't rule it out. There are plenty of youtube videos giving examples you can always follow them.

If you fight him BLM style dress as a BLM, melee style dress like a PLD and use as much def as you can. Asuran fists is a joke he hit me 5 times with it on RDM and I didn't go down the key is very simple, when he starts using asuran fists chainspell and stoneskin every time he uses it using cure4 in between. You won't die if you're enhancing skill is ar a fairly decent level for phalanx and stoneskin.

If you want to go the easy way, nuke em. I never had to nuke him and I used to fight him for fun just because the fight wasn't that easy and I have yet to lose to the old fool on any job.

Maat fight is, no joke, nerves. A lot of the people that lost to him went about the fight all wrong. I didn't even use meds on my mule and still won. Maat is just a stepping stone and isn't very difficult if you just relax.

One thing I will note, turn composure off so your recast times don't take a slap in the face.

In terms of gear I believe some people hit nuke style on the head...

Now in days your BIGGEST concern is getting all your skill levels capped. You wont beat maat with a nuke strat unless your enfeeb, and elemental are BOTH capped. you can beat maat melee style without having all skills capped. I have done it lol
    I agree with everything you posted. I had a fully capped RDM when went to fight him the first time. The only thing that wasn't capped was my throwing. I fully buffed and hit him with a demon arrow to start the fight, then hit him with Bio. Ooops attack down x 2 maat, have fun getting through my ice spikes and stoneskin. What's that Maat? You're paralyzed for the 4th time this fight, awww you must be getting old. I melee'd him for almost the entire fight.

I had full HP and almost full mana when he was at 40% health. He chainspelled, I chainspelled and macrod to caster equips. I honestly don't remember the rest of the fight because he died almost instantly from nukes. My roommate told me to stop freaking out on maat because he was dead. It was so much fun.

I tried a version of sleep nuke the first 2 times and he beat me mercilessly as an Elvaan. I had no interest in trying a strategy that seemed appropriate for a Taru. Melee was a lot more rewarding and fun.
    (0)
    Last edited by ManaKing; 05-30-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Character
    Naoruru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I actually used the same Evasion-based as this a LONG LONG time ago, prolly 05. the main point of this entire idea was IF something goes wrong he will be blinded, hopefully, with paralyze and slow and gravity. With stoneskin as close to cap as I could come with very little gil and some gear borrowed from others, I still ate an asuran fists from a single resisted sleep, nearer to 50%, right before I was about to chainspell, on my first run. Second run I used the Bat Earring idea, as I had done on a friend's WHM for them, and won with ease. I fought him three times after that for funzies, twice melee killing him (I suggest capped shield, parrying, sword), and once showing a friend how to kill him via Kite-nuke.

Gear suggestions for a current-day Maat RDM :
    Elemental staff
    Bugard Strap +1
    Phantom Tathlum
    Warlock's Chapeau
    Philomath Stole
    (A Plus Int and a Moldavite earring if possible, or two +int, or two bat earrings)
    Blue Cotehardie
    Marine F Gloves
    Genius Ring x 2
    Red Cape +1
    Ocean Rope
    Ogre Trousers +1 or Magic Cuisses
    Custom F Boots

Use Boiled Tuna Head if you're going the EVA route. If not, use a Cream Puff / Apple Pie +1 / Crimson Jelly (Look up the stats and the price, and see which appeals to you). Apple Pie and Jelly are dependent on your MP pool.

If you're going to cap SS, I'd look for the following gears:
    -Circe's Hat
    -Promise Badge
    -(2 +mnd earrings)
    -Vela Justaucorps +1 or Justaucorps +1 or Bishop's Robe +1
    -Devotee's Mitts (+1 if possible)
    -(2 +mnd rings)
    -Red Cape +1
    -Sothic Rope if you're going to fight him on the Full Moon (I love this piece. It is amazing if you know how to use it) or a penitent's rope.
    -Warlock's Tights
    -Ogre's Ledelsens (+1)/Cobra Pigaches

Depending on your selections, this will give you between 50 and 60 +mnd. Which is nice. 233 enhancing, if capped. This is overdoing it, as I think you need +44 or 45 mnd to cap SS at that level. That will cap your stoneskin at 350, with Phalanx absorbing ~21 a hit. A stone gorget (from the Promivyon areas) can increase your stoneskin to 380.

With that +mnd set, your cure IV should be doing between 380 and 390 also.

Your enfeebling should be capped to 251, your elemental to 215. If you choose to cap your evasion, it should cap to 201. And your healing caps at 210. With those capped, you should be absolutely fine.

If you're going to melee, use a Wise Wizard's Analace and a Numenous Shield. I'd suggest the Demon Arrow / Bio idea, because his attacks are a tad painful. Attack/Accuracy foods, +str +mnd +MP gear mixed together, or macro sets for Stoneskin / Melee / Nuking. Capped stoneskin and phalanx are EXTREMELY important for this strategy. Use Attack foods, and take both HP and MP potions.
    Maybe a psilos mantle or a Cheviot cape, swift belt, assault jerkin, Ogre mask, Tarasque Mitts, Ogre Ledelsens +1 Merman's Earrings x2 on top of your +mnd build.

just thoughts
    (0)
    Last edited by Naoruru; 06-11-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Character
    Seconds
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 96
    1/1 Maat here, and I've to say he was quite easy.

What you want is a +MP gearset and nuking gearset. If you got an enfeeble gearset that's great.

He may start off by buffing himself - if he starts with Blink just Sleep him ASAP and buff yourself while he's slept - slapping on a Sleep II somewhere down the line to overwrite it and buy yourself more time.

Once you're buffed, debuff him. Paralyze, Slow, SILENCE, and GRAVITY. Caps for the more important ones.
    After that just Chainspell and nuke him to death with your nuke gear. You probably will have to convert, but with Gravity on him he's gonna be really slow and you can take your time with your Convert + heals if you need too.
    (0)

Character
    Seyrena
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Ran in with NQ gear, AF and a Wind Stave. No buffs, no pots, no foods. Ran up to him, chainspelled, Diaga'd him to dispel his blink. Three nukes, and I was low on health due to a couple of asuran fists.

...So I popped a page from Miratete's Memoirs and levelled to 70 midfight. Screamed "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW, OLD MAN?!" and laughed my ass off while I nuked him to oblivion.

Not hard at all.
    (0)
    Seyrena
    Odin/Bastok

Character
    Izzybella
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    After losing to the old man 8 times I got drunk one night and decided to fight him...wish I could tell you how I won but I honestly don't remember >.>
    (0)

"I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to somebody's need made me blind, but I have never yet felt a tinge of regret for being a little too kind." ~~ anon

Character
    Zenoxio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Don't forget about the XP scroll method. Ding in the middle of the fight. I went 1/2 on Maat with that method and I'm a crappy RDM.

I was getting destroyed too on the fight I won: http://heavenisticchaos.com/hcforum/...php?p=875#p875
    (0)
    -reseph, /r/ffxi founder

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Powder boots work better then sprinter's.
    (0)

I...totally forgot about those.

That's actually a good idea. I'm pretty sure you could get to Maat and silence him before his first cast easily with those.
    (0)

Character
    Tifaia
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzybella View Post
    After losing to the old man 8 times I got drunk one night and decided to fight him...wish I could tell you how I won but I honestly don't remember >.>
    Old topic but this made me giggle. XD

Back in the olden days before they made any job adjustment changes and introduced new gear and all that crap (in the before time. in the long long ago. BEFORE CoP had an ending) this was the biggest pain in the butt fight for anyone, Elvaan and Galka for sure.

I don't remember how many times I attempted, but I kept reading about the Chainspell routine being the best method. Used a Vile Elixir each time (back then it was 150k kids, and that was a lot of money back then). I know it took at least a dozen attempts. One day I was so annoyed about something and happened to get a RDM Testimony. So I said screw it! Let's just try for giggles.

And I won.

Didn't use Chainspell. Didn't melee him. Just used my highest tiered damage elemental spell and did a lot of sleep, nuke, binding. He never got his 2 hour off. I think I used one Vile Elixir, but had half of my mp left by the end of the fight.

I'm sure it's a whole lot easier now then it use to be. For those seeking help, just be aware of Maat's actions. If you see him running up to punch you in the face, Sleep him. Chainspell isn't needed to win, but if you want to use it, that's your call. You could potentially melee him to death, but might result in a really bad headache in the morning. Just go with your gut, because no one method is the right method for RDM. XD
    (0)
    Say NO to ClickandBuy. Say NO to Crysta.

SquareEnix, please give your non-Japanese customers the same equal billing rights as your Japanese consumer-base. We request equality!

Petition to stop the billing changes: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/12120-Petition-clickandbuy-the-only-way-no-thanks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast