Player

Ice Ore and general money making questions ~ Help appreciated! :)

I'm a new player who's played a fair bit off and on for about 6 years. I've never really known any good ways of making money and as a result I've always struggled in that area.

I've been trying to read up on some guides to figure out what my options are as a new character. From what I've read, gardening and harvesting Ice Ore can pay off EXTREMELY well. The problem is that I looked in the Auction house and there's been two ice ore that have sold in.... the last seven years...

What's the deal with ice ore? Is it worth making and trying to sell?

If not, could someone give me some good tips on making some cash or at the very least point me in the direction of some good guides/stickies? I'd really appreciate it!
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    There is no market for the Ice ores themselves thanks to them dropping from chests in Abyssea. The reason making Ice Ores was ever profitable is because that recipe also makes Platinum Leaves, which NPC for about 1800 gil each and you can get the better part of a stack of per pot.

Porcelain pot, Tree Cuttings, Ice crystal, Ice Crystal, if I remember right. Gardeners have some voodoo about the moon as well. Considering it takes weeks to grow, this isn't really that profitable for the time invested.

Also, NPCing dominion points weapons or cruor items is going to make you faster and easier gil.
    (0)

Character
    Facticious
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Another way to make gil gardening is to grow wild grass seeds and NPC them. They only take a week iirc.
    (0)

yeah, for my entire ffxi career i've been gardening with 3 mules using wildgrass seeds, earth pot, and water crystals. i always told myself that it is not a way to get rich, but at least its a steady income. nowadays i've just been trading in cruor, but i'll need to find some other way after i beat shinryu because i know there's a few NMs i want to brew.

aside from that i say just learn how to craft and what to sell. farming crafting materials then selling them or using them to sell crafts is always a good option. u just gotta know what to get and sell
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I feel I should make a PSA that people got banned for NPCing wildgrass seed products. When people talk about the "gardening bans" that's what they're referring to. It was meant to eliminate RMT doing it, but it hit quite a few legit players as well.
    (0)

Character
    Gravionblack
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    well this is just what i have seen in my looking around, but a good way to make money right now is to sell crystals. Wind is going for 4k a stack of 12, and dark is going for 5k for a stack of 12. My guess is because those are the main two crystals needed to make shihei.
    (0)

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravionblack View Post
    well this is just what i have seen in my looking around, but a good way to make money right now is to sell crystals. Wind is going for 4k a stack of 12, and dark is going for 5k for a stack of 12. My guess is because those are the main two crystals needed to make shihei.
    i wish i was on your server because crystals on titan are now A) not on the AH much because everyone is doing abyssea where they don't drop and B) 1k or less per stack.

To the OP i suggest keeping as much stuff as you can when u go out and lvl etc sell it to an NPC even if it's 15 gil at a time it WILL stack up. If you have to /toss stuff make sure it's stuff that will not stack. Also if you happen to exp in areas like Abyssea - altepa, there are some good gil items there, always check your AH prices before you npc something and vice versa, some things, like Doll shards, sell for about 1k on the AH (on titan anyway) they sell to the npc for 1.8k instantly. Land crab meat is another good example of this, sells for 250 gil to the npc, 200 gil for a single on the AH. Also, if an item is 'slow' on the AH such as ice ore never selling, if you take a 1k~ hit on your prices it will help you in the long run, freeing up inventory to get another item you can sell faster and not have to put up on the AH 4 or 5 times which would cost you that 1k in AH fees or more depending on where your putting it up at. To conserve money buy gear that you can use for mutiple jobs and NEVER buy super high quality gear for a low lvl job, buy what you need to get by/is relatively decent and update as you go. I hope these strategies help you, i know they have worked for me for years, i have never not had money when i needed it.
    (0)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Annewandering
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Ice ore sells. You are probably looking in the city AH. I doubt any have sold in those for years if ever. It doesnt sell for much. Maybe 5k?
    I used to garden ores all the time and made good gil but not any more. To make gil with gardening do wildgrass seeds and npc results. For a new person you will have to wait for 90 days.
    (0)