Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Records of Eminence, Big Fish, and Small Fish.

I saw some of the new objectives include "Reel in Multiple Small Fish I" and "Reel in Multiple Big Fish I". In both cases "Multiple" means 30, but what I'm not so clear on is the definition of "Small Fish" and "Big Fish". I'm a newbie fisherman. I can figure out how to catch specific fish, but can anyone tell me what a "big" or a "small" fish is?
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I would guess the line is drawn somewhere between where the catch gets titled with three exclamation marks (Something caught the hook!!!).

I've yet to try, however, so I'm not entirely sure.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Sekhmet
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    I saw some of the new objectives include "Reel in Multiple Small Fish I" and "Reel in Multiple Big Fish I". In both cases "Multiple" means 30, but what I'm not so clear on is the definition of "Small Fish" and "Big Fish". I'm a newbie fisherman. I can figure out how to catch specific fish, but can anyone tell me what a "big" or a "small" fish is?
    Small fish are ones that can stack to 12, big fish are the ones that don't stack. At least that is how I've always seen it. I could be wrong.
    (0)

Character
    Seigyoku
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet View Post
    Small fish are ones that can stack to 12, big fish are the ones that don't stack. At least that is how I've always seen it. I could be wrong.
    Overall, yes, but then there are things like Coral Butterflies, a small fish that doesn't stack. Because reasons?
    (1)
    Don't wish. Don't start.

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    The fish is like ores and beds? Kidding idk why they don't stack. Also most big fish have their weight printed on their info box.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Thanks for the input folks. What do you think would be the lowest level "big" fish and "small" fish?

Based on the hypothesis that a "big" fish is a non-stackable one, a Phaneut Newt would be the lowest big one. Any veteran fishermen able to confirm or deny this?
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    This may be more or less off now that skill level should matter more, but I might carefully guess that it's, at least to some extent, still true: lower level fish does not necessarily mean it's easier to reel in.

There are (or at least were) several fish around level 30 for example, which were/are a lot more annoying than some level 90-100+ fish.

Moreover, while I don't remember ever going for the phaneut newt on my way to level 90 and beyond, I highly doubt that's a “large fish”. I may very well be wrong though. I'll make a note to myself to go and see, but you'll probably be able to confirm it yourself before that.

I'm not sure I'd consider myself a veteran regardless of the skill level and the years my fishing spans over and about, so take it for what it's worth. :)

I might suggest trying for a giant catfish. They are at least easily accessible, and I don't remember them being too bad what comes to their behaviour.

Again, though, I've not done any testing at levels lower than 93; it could be impossible to reel in a level 30 fish with level 1 skill now for all I know, but I do strongly doubt it.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Well you could reel in the catfish at level one before though would be hard without a lu shangs
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I fished up several non stacking Muddy Siredons in Carpenter's Landing and didn't get credit as big fish, so I guess the "non-stacking" hypothesis is false. I hooked something down there while using a Frog Lure that was definitely a big fish, but I couldn't reel it in. Tried 4 times and got line breaks each time. Gonna try to gradually level up to 30 doing 1 hour of fishing a day then go back there.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    dasva,

How so? I surely fished them before I got mine, and can't remember it being hard.

Zarchery,

That might have been a giant catfish, actually. I'm thinking that's the only big fish around there.

While fishing cave cherax, a couple of friends were playing with the monsters around there, and I had one (with skill level 19) try the giant donko that dwell there. It was apparently easy, so that's probably something worth trying as well.

Edit:

Just tested a giant catfish with skill level 0: first catch lost due to lack of skill, second catch successfully reeled in. Was pretty easy, too. ^^

Third catch successfully reeled in as well, but regretfully released due to not being able to carry more items. Oopsies!
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 03-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast