Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    dasva,
    Edit:

Just tested a giant catfish with skill level 0: first catch lost due to lack of skill, second catch successfully reeled in. Was pretty easy, too. ^^

Third catch successfully reeled in as well, but regretfully released due to not being able to carry more items. Oopsies!
    Interesting. Where were you? What rod and bait were you using? I was using Frog Lures in Carpenter's Landing near the central area, with a Halcyon Rod. My line kept breaking and I lost my lures. Couldn't find any more for sale so I had to give up. I heard that Composite Rods are good for big fish. Maybe I should switch to one of those.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I would recommend halcyon for small, and composite indeed for big fish, when Lu Shang's and Ebisu are not an option.

I was in the southern parts of Bastok Markets, with a composite fishing rod and a minnow. Check for example here for more (the table may look odd, as I'm currently working on doing something new for them).
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Dragoy, your suggestion worked. With a Composite Rod I synthed with my mad Alchemy skills (level 100), some minnows I bought at the Fishing Guild, and a paltry level 3 Fishing skill, I was able to reel in one giant catfish. It was harder than the moat carp and crayfish I've been reeling. It had the regen effect and I got smaller stamina depletions, but I got it. I only had time to do one so far, but I'm excited to get back into it.

There's annotation at the bottom that says "<90[lm]/461[Pz]>" Is that for this "Fish Ranking" thing the other RoE talks about?
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Cool.

I'm still trying to think of a big fish that's lower level, or at least something that bites often enough to something else than a lure, as losing those is not fun. I don't think the catfish would bite a little worm too often. I should remember that pretty well from fishing most of my 10,010 moat carps for the dude.

Perhaps sliced sardines and trout balls could be an idea. Minnows might work just fine if going for only 30 of them, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    There's annotation at the bottom that says "<90[lm]/461[Pz]>" Is that for this "Fish Ranking" thing the other RoE talks about?
    That would indeed be the size in ilms and ponzes, which are used in the Fish Ranking as you guess. Which fish they request, and what size (smallest, largest, heaviest, or a mix) changes from contest to another.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Haven't had trouble depleting the catfishes' stamina, but I am constantly getting "You lost your catch due to lack of skill." Probably about 70% of the time. But I've reeled in 3 giant catfish so far. I'm wondering if I should go back to the drawing board and try to level fishing to 10 and try again or keep at it with the catfish. Gonna take a fair amount of time either way, but skilling I'll get more sparks and moat carp (got a friend working on a Lu Shang who is buying them straight, no AH involved).
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm still 1 objective away from "Reel in Enemies". Is there a place where it's easier to reel in monsters consistently? Obviously not gonna fish any up in Bastok. Isn't there some NM in Abyssea that you need to fish up? I remember trying to get it and reeling in a lot of normal mobs.
    (0)

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Yes there is one
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I did some quick tests, and it looks like sliced sardines are not good at all. I had none of the 'cats' with quite a few casts.

Trout balls seem to work pretty well. Depending on the location, these will also get black eels, though, but out of 10 casts, 6 were of the giant catfish kind.

What comes to monsters, well, I can't really think of a specifically awesome place for that. One could look at the fish one area has, and then what they catch into. Then it's a simple matter of using bait/lure that they don't want.

For example, in South Gustaberg, it would seem as if only the jellyfish wants trout balls. It may be the moon-phase, or my luck and want for a monster to bite, but either way, I had only 2 of those in 14 casts (6 nothing, and 6 jellyfish/items).

Something like a minnow around the bridge to the entrance of the Temple of Uggalepih seems to be pretty okay for only monsters only, too.

The eastern side will have pipiras (small fish around level 29) and jungle catfish (big fish around level 80) bite as well. The fish populace differs from side to another, changing at under the bridge. The western side does not have the pipira, I think, and a minnow mostly gets either monsters or the jungle catfish.

The monster you are thinking of, is probably Nahn.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 03-29-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Halfway through the "reel in big fish" objective, with only level 4 Fishing skill. It's slow going, but probably faster than trying to level up to the low 30s.

Still haven't been able to do the fish ranking one. I guess I never realized how infrequently you get a chance to do it.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I managed to get 30 giant catfish earlier this week and finish that one. That left me with only "Particpate in Fish Ranking". I had to wait a while for that one. Fish ranking finally came up today (I had no idea there was such a long time between them). So I finally got that last one and now I am at 346/346 Records of Eminence. Perfect score! Until the next update... which appears to have more harvesting objectives. As long as it's no nonsense like "Harvest this particular item" I guess that won't be so awful.

I'm really surprised I was able to do all the new fishing objectives with no fishing skill. I thought I'd have to give up my quest to have them all done once those came out.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast