Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90

New Achievements

FFXI Achievements (Xbox Version) used to be hard, really hard (they were all about getting a single job to 75, which was difficult back in the day). Then we got some new, much easier ones. As time has passed and Abyssea has become the center point of FFXI, the formerly hard achievements have lost their shine.

This is a relatively simple request. More achievements, there's certainly room and criteria they could fill such as add-on completion achievements, Abyssea achievements, new level cap achievements (since there's already achievements for limit breaks but none for the newer ones), etc., etc.

It would certainly make me turn my xbox version on a bit more.

Additional notes: Make the newer achievements, non-secret, I should know what to aim for without having to go google what the secret achievements are, it's not like any of the current achievements, which are all "secrets", are spoilers of any kind.
    (0)

They are never really hard. Just time consuming. SE just needs to add things like "Have a 5 year old account" achievements and make people stick around 5 years to get them. (Most of us would already have that one though)
    (0)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    They are never really hard. Just time consuming. SE just needs to add things like "Have a 5 year old account" achievements and make people stick around 5 years to get them. (Most of us would already have that one though)
    Hard is a relative term, not going to argue that point, theres not a lot of truly "hard" achievements out there. I guess I would've marked the original FFXI achievements as actual achievements to be proud of, since they took so much time to get. Hah, "5 year old account* achievement. Another year and they'll be able to make a "10 year old account" achievement.
    (0)

Character
    Shenul
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyeriis View Post
    This is a relatively simple request. More achievements, there's certainly room and criteria they could fill such as add-on completion achievements, Abyssea achievements, new level cap achievements (since there's already achievements for limit breaks but none for the newer ones), etc., etc.
    I can answer this, actually.

Disc titles are allowed achievements that add up to 1000 gamer points for a disc title and 250 gamer points for every "major DLC". ToAU = first release (1000 gamer points). WotG/Ultimate Collection = first DLC (250 additional gamer points). In order for SE to be able to add more achievements, they need to put out another "major DLC". If they brought out "Abyssia Collection", they could have another 250 points to work with. Go take a look at your disc title achievement lists and look for a pattern.

I'm with you on the non-secret achievements. The original intent of the Achievement system was two-fold: Show off your various accomplishments in a title, and give something for completionists to do. The intent behind the first was so that your friends can compare their progress with yours in a given title, and you all could ask each other for help or strategies in places where you each are struggling. The intent behind the second was... well... "n00b, my score is higher than yours!". The secret achievement really kills the spirit of the achievement system (the "look what I can do" spirit, not "my Gamerscore is 2 million" spirit), and should be removed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shenul; 03-26-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Character
    Fiddytree
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm in total agreement that we need more achievements. What do you say SE? Hook us up! I also like the Abyssea Collection idea. I have some friends and family who are about create new accounts who would love to be able to buy a collection like that so they could have all the game content available in a disc format to simply pop in and install. Too bad everyone I know has to wait until at least May for the world mergers to even start their accounts. Help us out SE! Please open up registration on the merger worlds. At least for a limited time. Thanks.
    (0)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenul View Post
    I can answer this, actually.

Disc titles are allowed achievements that add up to 1000 gamer points for a disc title and 250 gamer points for every "major DLC". ToAU = first release (1000 gamer points). WotG/Ultimate Collection = first DLC (250 additional gamer points). In order for SE to be able to add more achievements, they need to put out another "major DLC". If they brought out "Abyssia Collection", they could have another 250 points to work with. Go take a look at your disc title achievement lists and look for a pattern.

I'm with you on the non-secret achievements. The original intent of the Achievement system was two-fold: Show off your various accomplishments in a title, and give something for completionists to do. The intent behind the first was so that your friends can compare their progress with yours in a given title, and you all could ask each other for help or strategies in places where you each are struggling. The intent behind the second was... well... "n00b, my score is higher than yours!". The secret achievement really kills the spirit of the achievement system (the "look what I can do" spirit, not "my Gamerscore is 2 million" spirit), and should be removed.
    I was aware of this. There are exceptions to this however, such as the Assassin's Creed II DLC, which added no new achievements. FFXI is also a MMO, and I'm sure how you can see how different rules would apply. Anyway, they could add 250 points for each add-on as they are technically newly registered "dlc" even if the actual content of the "dlc" is a forced download, you still need to pay SE to access them. They've also released arcade titles in the past that go over the original set limit for starting total of gamer points achievable.

Really all they would need to do is to put FFXI on games on demand and split it up across each expansion and add-on, while also having an ultimate collection available. If they could get it on steam, they can get it on Xbox Marketplace.
    (0)

Character
    Chronofantasy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I think one of the more time consuming ones on there is the obtaining a relic one until dynamis changes. As of now I have 53/57 Xbox 360 achievements. I never did Dynamis much in the past so I still need to get Beaucedine win then xarcabard win for dynamis. I also need Valkurm dunes and Tavnazian for that one. The relic weapon one and the Gold Ballistar title one.

I think Atma of the Savior should be one of the new 360 achievements as you need to complete every single thing in Abyssea to get that.
    (0)

Character
    Shenul
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyeriis View Post
    I was aware of this. There are exceptions to this however, such as the Assassin's Creed II DLC, which added no new achievements. FFXI is also a MMO, and I'm sure how you can see how different rules would apply. Anyway, they could add 250 points for each add-on as they are technically newly registered "dlc" even if the actual content of the "dlc" is a forced download, you still need to pay SE to access them. They've also released arcade titles in the past that go over the original set limit for starting total of gamer points achievable.
    You're right, DLC does not have to add achievements at all. It is purely up to the developer. The only way for SE to actually get more achievements is for MS to be nice and allow them to. Either that, or put out another disc version. Ultimate Collection 2011? It's possible. And just because FFXI is an MMO, that doesn't mean there are special rules. A game is a game.

Sadly, the way that SE has designed their game, they can't really put anything on marketplace. This isn't because it can't be done, but... well, think of it as an "Xbox 360 limitation". If there are any community reps that could back me up on that one...
    (0)

Didn't they remove Relic as an achievement, or it was some other one they removed.
    (0)
    Inglourious Basterds - Cultural Basterdry of Lakshmi for Make Profit Inglourious Members of Linkshell

Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    relic was never an achievement to be removed, it was merely speculated to be an achievement that was actually Gold Ballistar... but then nobody does PvP so nobody bothered to unlock it.

(I did though.)
    (0)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast