Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Previous threads on this:
    New Weapon types (included an SE rep response... but they're not thinking creatively to get around the limitations they imagine exist.
    and
    New weapon classes (same idea)

My thoughts, not to be lost in the threads...

My list of anticipated potential weapon types would be:
    #1 want (I'd be really happy if we only got this one added): Dual-ended Sword-Blade polearms
    Dual-Glaives (Manes, Double Swords/Spears, Double Voulges, Swallows, "Thief Swords", Bisento, Zanbato, Guisearme) could all be a new variation on Polearm, even sharing the same weaponskills and combat animations.
    The heavy spear-like versions would mainly be for Dragoon and the dual-broadsword versions would fit Samurai, but the light Swallow blades (Thief Swords) would be for Thieves, like Zidane. (this would mean adding Polearm skill to Thief, but only given access to Swallows)

Dice: (Setzer) For a unique thrown weapon Corsairs can use. (Certainly not a new skill category, just a variation)

Whips: (Rydia) Ranged weapon, lots of added effects for Beastmaster, Summoner, Dancer

Even without adding new "weapon types", some of those would still be possible without much extra work, making use of existing weapon types. (the main objection to adding new weapons: invalid)

Whips can be added as a "Ranged weapon" and would not need a "new" animation (at most, maybe some special particle effects for elemental whips or something.) They could appear coiled in the hand like Chakrams, and have an invisible strike.
    Whips would clearly be equippable by Bst, Smn, Dnc
    (0)

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    My take on throwing weapon skills.
    And further down the thread... (I also created options for the new jobs I wrote up, and included them there too, while I was at it.)
    (0)

Character
    Anjou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by AyinDygra View Post

BLU as well!
    (0)

Character
    Archedian
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Yeah the biggest issue I'm seeing with implementing any new weapon/weapon skills are the man hours. If they make Whip, then they need to make 1~119 Lv. Whips, then possibly Mythic, Relic, Empyrean, and Delve Whip, and then they have to decide what current jobs get to use the whip. In all honestly, I want to "Whip" some ass on all my jobs including Puppetmaster, so I would have a difficult time deciding who gets it, but I think DNC BST and BLU seem like appropriate jobs to get the new weapon class.

Maybe it would just be easier to make Lv. 99~119 whips only and just make whips start off at 300~400 skill then the rest is up for to us to skill up? I mean, if we're being practical, it's not really reasonable to ask Square Enix to create Lv. 1~119 weapons all over again, plus fighting style animations for each race, plus new weapon skills, plus animations of those weapon skills for each race. Implementing only 99+ Whips and starting skill high would at least allow them to chop off some of the unnecessary work, and they could just steadily implement new weapon skills to the new weapon class over time. We don't need the entire thing in a day, I would just like to see something new.

And also just don't make the Mythic, Relic, Empyrean, Delve counterpart. Just make a 119 Whip, and sometime down the future, create a whip that is formidable to REMD.

This same process should apply to implementing a Chakram weapon class or simply Throwing Weapon skills. You don't need to start all the way over at Lv. 1. Just implement 99+ weapon skills and weapons, and add more occasionally as time passes. You eat an elephant one bite at a time, not by consuming the entire thing in one big bite.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shinron-PUP; 02-17-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinron-PUP View Post
    Yeah the biggest issue I'm seeing with implementing any new weapon/weapon skills are the man hours. If they make Whip, then they need to make 1~119 Lv. Whips, then possibly Mythic, Relic, Empyrean, and Delve Whip, and then they have to decide what current jobs get to use the whip. In all honestly, I want to "Whip" some ass on all my jobs including Puppetmaster, so I would have a difficult time deciding who gets it, but I think DNC BST and BLU seem like appropriate jobs to get the new weapon class.

Maybe it would just be easier to make Lv. 99~119 whips only and just make whips start off at 300~400 skill then the rest is up for to us to skill up? I mean, if we're being practical, it's not really reasonable to ask Square Enix to create Lv. 1~119 weapons all over again, plus fighting style animations for each race, plus new weapon skills, plus animations of those weapon skills for each race. Implementing only 99+ Whips and starting skill high would at least allow them to chop off some of the unnecessary work, and they could just steadily implement new weapon skills to the new weapon class over time. We don't need the entire thing in a day, I would just like to see something new.

And also just don't make the Mythic, Relic, Empyrean, Delve counterpart. Just make a 119 Whip, and sometime down the future, create a whip that is formidable to REMD.

This same process should apply to implementing a Chakram weapon class or simply Throwing Weapon skills. You don't need to start all the way over at Lv. 1. Just implement 99+ weapon skills and weapons, and add more occasionally as time passes. You eat an elephant one bite at a time, not by consuming the entire thing in one big bite.
    Sorry but I'm not quite with you on that one. I don't think it takes THAT much time and man hours and if it does then maybe they really should upgrade the old system for something better. Remember they are still trying to get new people into the game, how you going to do that if some of the weapons they can have right off and others they can only have at 99? People would just cry foul (and I wouldn't blame them) and quit. Think about it...if when you started the game they had one-handed weapons ready right off but two-handed weapons they said everyone had to get to 75 to use? And remember they do have chakrams and boomerangs at like level 15 and stuff so...what would you propose they do with them? Just chuck them all?
    (0)
    Last edited by Blah; 02-18-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typing error
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Character
    Archedian
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    I don't think it takes THAT much time and man hours and if it does then maybe they really should upgrade the old system for something better. Remember they are still trying to get new people into the game, how you going to do that if some of the weapons they can have right off and others they can only have at 99?
    Nono... I'm not saying they should absolutely make Whips start at 99 or other weapons, but it is an option if they're not creating new weapons because it takes too many man hours. I, on the other hand, don't think it's too unreasonable to create a weapon that starts at 99. You would still have the option to use the old content weapons to get to 99, so it's not necessarily like you won't have a way to get to 99, but once you hit 99 then you can have access to even greater items like a whip or a chakram weapon. I mean these ideas are not too far off from how unlocking a main class works. You can't unlock Summoner or the other advanced jobs until you're lvl. 30, same thing might work for whips... You can't use a Whip until you're Lv. 99 and have played with some of the older weapons. But I would absolutely take lv. 1-119 whips any day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    And remember they do have chakrams and boomerangs at like level 15 and stuff so...what would you propose they do with them? Just chuck them all?
    Also they wouldn't throw them away. For Chakrams, I meant that they would just create weapon skills that started at lv. 99 rather than Lv. 1, so that they wouldn't need to go so far back and create 10+ different weapon skills that are going to end up being useless anyway in comparison to the 119 version. Again, I would take 1~119 weapon skills any day over 99~119, but this is just another way for Square Enix to conserve man hours on unnecessary things. (Of course it would be kinda boring not getting a weapon skill for chakram until like 350+ skill).
    (0)

But if they did it that way people might say (once again) SE is only making a half-hearted attempt. So if they are going to do it they should go "all in" to make sure people know they are really trying.
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Quote Originally Posted by AyinDygra View Post
    Previous threads on this:
    New Weapon types (included an SE rep response... but they're not thinking creatively to get around the limitations they imagine exist.
    and
    New weapon classes (same idea)

My thoughts, not to be lost in the threads...

My list of anticipated potential weapon types would be:
    #1 want (I'd be really happy if we only got this one added): Dual-ended Sword-Blade polearms
    Dual-Glaives (Manes, Double Swords/Spears, Double Voulges, Swallows, "Thief Swords", Bisento, Zanbato, Guisearme) could all be a new variation on Polearm, even sharing the same weaponskills and combat animations.
    The heavy spear-like versions would mainly be for Dragoon and the dual-broadsword versions would fit Samurai, but the light Swallow blades (Thief Swords) would be for Thieves, like Zidane. (this would mean adding Polearm skill to Thief, but only given access to Swallows)

Dice: (Setzer) For a unique thrown weapon Corsairs can use. (Certainly not a new skill category, just a variation)

Whips: (Rydia) Ranged weapon, lots of added effects for Beastmaster, Summoner, Dancer

Even without adding new "weapon types", some of those would still be possible without much extra work, making use of existing weapon types. (the main objection to adding new weapons: invalid)

Whips can be added as a "Ranged weapon" and would not need a "new" animation (at most, maybe some special particle effects for elemental whips or something.) They could appear coiled in the hand like Chakrams, and have an invisible strike.
    Oh and I did check the thread to see the developers response I can't believe it would take that much just to add some new weapon styles what exactly are they trying to say, that they never have/will consider it because they don't/ never did have that in mind when they made the game? Or just that we're thinking it should only take like a three man team to work it out and it actually takes 12 sweating overtime for months to get like one, maybe two weapon styles in the game if they never take lunch breaks?
    (0)

Character
    Bananavivi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinzha View Post
    Ok seriously can we just drop PS2 from FFXI already? Tired of the excuse: "We could make the game really amazing, but there is the PS2."
    We can! PS2 is officially unsupported by Sony, and I believe the dev team has stated on here that PS2 limitations are no longer a concern with new content.
    (0)

Character
    Ladyofhonor
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivivivi View Post
    We can! PS2 is officially unsupported by Sony, and I believe the dev team has stated on here that PS2 limitations are no longer a concern with new content.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they've been developing patches that ignore the PS2, and did they even sell PS2 SoA versions in NA?
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast