Page 91 of 297 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 ... LastLast
    I swear for some of you this is your first MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by machini View Post
    They were also extremely embarrassed, and still are, that people continue to play XI when XIV is around.
    Probably because XI is a well established MMORPG, made SE the most moneyperiod and still is a great MMO to play for many.

That logic is like saying Blizzard is embarrassed that people continue to play the original Starcraft when Starcraft II and World of Warcraft exist.

Edit: Let's break some stuff down in detail.

re: Grinds -

Every Online or MMORPG has grinds. The issue comes in the type of grind. FFXIV for example, mr Yoshida stated the Relic grind was designed around the acquisition time and difficulty of obtaining a weapon from Alexander Gordias Savage 4 - Why was that necessary? They could have developed the relic grind on it's own regard and had a full set of content developed specifically for it.

They didn't, or they "couldn't."

Current FFXI reforging grind - Perfectly fine. The items are extremely common and not limited compared to, you know, Ancient Currency/Alexandrites/Ampoules/Etc. Most of us playing had plenty of those items laying around, to the point of even vendering or tossing them. They come from extremely easy High Tier battles (if you're current, which you should be if you're reforging anything) and you chose to get a Mythic and Ergon weapon? Cool! You got an amazing weapon for your job (seriously, what other option does Geomancer and Rune Fencer have realistically?)

re: Submenus.

It's an MMORPG designed on end of era Playstation One and early Playstation 2 dev kits from the late 1990s. What do you expect?

re: Ending console support.

As popular of an excuse this is for players on both games, PS2/360/PS3/PS4 is not holding back either games. The reality of the situation is, them losing their PS2 dev kits hurt far more than any "PS2 limitations" could ever have hurt.

I mean, compare XI to XIV for a minute:

Look at all that XI has done and can do, despite being an MMO developed in the late 90s. Now look at XIV ARR/HW, a PC DEVELOPED MMORPG that barely can function at times. You can use the excuse "but they built off of FFXIV 1.0..." but in the end, look at Blade and Soul, Archage or any other PC only MMO out currently - Why do they still all play like it's 2005? Where's the innovation?

See? Consoles hold nothing back that the developers themselves aren't already holding back. Even WoW stagnated, which is why it's bleeding subs. Hell, the WoW stagnation is why XIV ARR even was successful, because it tapped into a market of players desperate for something to play. ARR wasn't terrible, but honestly, release ARR in an era when WoW was king and see how well it would have done.
    (3)
    Last edited by Elexia; 02-14-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    If they had, 9 years ago, started to migrate from PS2 to PC, they could have done "A Realm Reborn" with FFXI, had XI-2.0, with a new client built from the ground up on a PC (the server software sure as hell wasn't made on a PS2), and that would have solved so very man problems it's insane.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Domille View Post
    I've been saying this for, hell 5 years now? The objective -IS- to get you to quit. period. Some of you are just to stubborn to see the signs. And square is just gonna keep pushing buttons until even Draylo's get hit.
    If getting loyal players to quit was their objective, then I will just shuffle in here and say that in my case they have failed in that particular objective.

I'm enjoying FFXI more than ever, and have said so many times here. Is it perfect? No. Are all of the Development Actions perfect? No. Are there any other games out there that are perfect, or as immersive and magnificent as FFXI? No.

I really love so much of what the Devs have done in recent years. Base movement speed up, Homepoint / Bookwarps, [/lockstyle sets], Reforged Artifact etc., removing gating from a lot of RME-building related content, Hard Mode Mission BCNM, UNM, the beautiful and simply outstanding Rhapsodies Of Vana'diel mission series, Jobpoints and Gifts, the adding of ROE / Sparks / Trusts which enables new or returning players to just log-in and challenge the game directly instead of having to beg other players for help every five minutes, Gobby Keys for a fun daily random mini-lottery, [/lockstyle sets] again which I am saying twice because it is the best thing that ever happened ever, etc.etc.etc.

It is not the current Dev Team's fault that corporate decisions were not made ten years ago, to start rebuilding the game as a 2.0 PC version, and while every one of us would have loved that new version, it did not happen. The current Dev Team have worked tirelessly to make the game more accessible and enjoyable for new/returning/casual players, and to a lesser extent veterans too. I describe the Dev Team's efforts as nothing short of a miracle, to keep this ancient rigging-trailing frigate afloat and seaworthy in 2016. It is a joy to behold, and an achievement that I certainly could not have replicated.

My Mog Locker is leased until May of 2029. I hope to extend it! I love FFXI as much as I always did, the core game is still amazing to me, old-areas Vana'diel still call to something in my soul - the same way they always did. I think it is healthy that we discuss what Dev changes we don't like, and why, but we should not overlook the fact that FFXI is the greatest videogame in the history of the world, and that the Dev Team are working very hard to keep it enjoyable and relevant in 2016.
    (4)
    Last edited by Stompa; 02-14-2016 at 09:28 AM.

You guys are funny.

There have been points in the game where I didn't understand the direction of the game, but there's a large difference between not understanding why they'd do something and thinking they're trying to sabotage their own game.

If they wanted us to quit, they'd shut the servers down/halt content updates. Introducing Aeonics makes zero sense if they want us to quit.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    As popular of an excuse this is for players on both games, PS2/360/PS3/PS4 is not holding back either games. The reality of the situation is, them losing their PS2 dev kits hurt far more than any "PS2 limitations" could ever have hurt.
    The developers themselves cited PS2 limitations for the longest time and anyone knew that going to Besieged on PS2 or even 360 was asking to be kicked out of the game. PS2 players suffered tremendously through Voidwatch. There have been a few things that they couldn't implement/or waited years to implement because the PS2 and even XBOX couldn't support it. Multiple chat windows, more auction house space, bag space, number of bags, # of unique zones.

It's no coincidence that (..four?) expansions/major-content recycled zones/skins/graphics/npcs: Dynamis, WotG, Abyssea, RoV. It also probably contributes to why we got recycled content (Limbus II, Dynamis II, Nyzul II, Salvage II) rather than actual new content.

UNM and HTBF all take place in old zones too, usually with old mobs as well. It might have all just been easier that way, but I think they were stretching limited resources.

Now the developers definitely deserve credit, they kept squeezing out more bag space and unique twists on old content. They kept pushing the limits, but the problem is that the limits were there in the first place. PS2 and Xbox should have been abandoned 5-8 years ago.

Some of the more technically knowledgeable people say the reason that loading items after zoning takes so long is because the game's connection is probably throttled to accomodate the PS2.

Excuse, indeed.
    (2)

Character
    Windwhispering
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    another suggestion for quality of life improvements. Although i do understand why the "gil-delivery" system was restricted, i dont understand why i have to log on/log off 20 times in a row to delivery money to another character on the same account.

Please look into the removal of Gil-restrictions for the same account.

Thanks
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I mean, I know that basically every current player of FFXI hates FFXIV just because it exists, but do we really need another XIV bashing thread?

Fact is basically the same thing happened with EverQuest 2, and if it ever comes out, the same thing will happen with EverQuest NEXT. People will blame the follow-up for killing their beloved, and that's really the long and short of it.

I've been saying this for, hell 5 years now? The objective -IS- to get you to quit. period.
    If they really wanted to get you to quit, they could have done that in 2 seconds by shutting down the game. The current team genuinely cares and even promised more content than originally planned.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-15-2016 at 03:44 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I mean, I know that basically every current player of FFXI hates FFXIV just because it exists, but do we really need another XIV bashing thread?

Fact is basically the same thing happened with EverQuest 2, and if it ever comes out, the same thing will happen with EverQuest NEXT. People will blame the follow-up for killing their beloved, and that's really the long and short of it.

My LS and Friendlist in FFXI is steadily filling up with returning players who have quit FFXIV. So I do not hate FFXIV at all, it is a great advertisement for FFXI.

People play FFXIV and they start to miss FFXI, and they return to FFXI. Also I meet new players in FFXI, who had never heard of Vana'diel until they played FFXIV and people were saying to them "I'm going back to FFXI!" and they were like "What is an FFXI?" and so we got another new player in FFXI, lol.

It seems that every month a few more of my FFXI friends return from FFXIV, and talk about how much they like they new stuff in FFXI. So I think it is all good really, and there's nothing to hate about it. In my own case, I never hated FFXIV personally, I just didn't want to play it because it is not my kind of game. I tried it, and ran back to FFXI in my little taru clomps. There's no time for hating, just playing your favourite games, w/e they might be.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by machini View Post
    If they had, 9 years ago, started to migrate from PS2 to PC, they could have done "A Realm Reborn" with FFXI, had XI-2.0, with a new client built from the ground up on a PC (the server software sure as hell wasn't made on a PS2), and that would have solved so very man problems it's insane.
    They would have still had to build from scratch. People forget that this game is a PS2 title and was ported to PC, so rather than S****ing on the console players, you should be thanking them. So stop blaming everyone else but the real reason. The game is ending because of loss of people on both sides. Dev had to be moved and shifted to other projects, and players have simply moved on. It's an extremely old game, and still plays well. But all I see is "Up the graphics... blah, blah, blah." But if you're playing a game solely for the visuals then you're going to miss out on a great number of titles. For all the pretty graphics that FFXIV has it's still not better than FFXI. Are there elements in XIV that shine and are good, yes: Telegraphing attacks, Ease of use with Abilities, Larger Macro Areas, Teleporting from HP to HP (Which we stole). There are a great number of good things, but FFXI did something that made me, personally happy, and it was the cross-platform play. I enjoyed being about to pick up the game from my PS2, XBox, or PC, it didn't matter, and I could befriend people that also played on those other platforms. It made the pool much larger than if it had just stayed on the PS2.

But back to the subject at hand, Can we think of lessening the time to switch Story Rings? Maybe add it to one of the Rhapsody KIs, seeing how we have to bounce around a lot from job to job, extra accessories would awesome.

(And for those that disagree with the porting: May 16th, 2002 (PS2 Release), November 7, 2002 (PC Release))
    (2)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Maestrel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Hi ! just returned from a very long break.

Now that i can handle most of the low level things in solo, i'd like to share some "problems" i have encounter recently.

Drop from NM's:
    There's no need to farm them anymore, Valkurm Emperor, Leaping Lizzy, Mee Deggi, etc... as we level very fast, they become useless really fast...
    So the idea here, is to make thoses drop items 100% !
    Obtaining stuff for free is already set in the Records of Eminence, but what if... i want to upgrade myself a little bit while leveling ? i'd like to farm some NM but to bad, they dont drop fairly well...
    Make it 100% could give me a purpose of farming thoses NM while i am leveling, slowing down just a little bit, but not so much my exp, discovering more zones, challenging more Notorious Monster Alone (With my Trust xD).
    Anyway, thoses items become garbage once you hit a certain level, so why not ?

Shadow Lord:
    I was trying to solo it at my level 60 (still with my Trust), it's a really easy fight, until... he get imune to physical damage...
    Nowaday there's not much people that need this fight, and i dont want to disturb anyone with that while i can fight it... alone !!
    So i did it, and i won ! it was close tho because of.... the imunity lasting for 5 minutes...
    I have trust, but, my Mages trust are kind enough to use all of their MP during the magic imunity (nuke and heal), leaving me and my other physical fellow trust waiting for 5 minutes until we can hit again.
    The Idea here, would be to lower the immune timer, to 1 minutes ? maybe less ? (i did had time to take a cup of coffee during that immune time, and at the second phase, 2 of my trust were dead, because, you know thoses healer, were out of mana very quickly.

Trust and Ranged Job:
    It's a pain as playing ranged job to play with trust...
    They are waiting until i'm close enough to hit with my dagger to engage.
    Can't there be a rule that if i'm close enough to hit with my bow/gun, that Trust will still engage ? (5-7~ Fts).

Destrier Beret:
    I've got this on my main, that have already all his jobs 90+
    While i've made a new character, it would have been a great addition to have this one PoL Sendable (like the Body that give +50 accuracy).

Ammo:
    Can you add a line, next to the Radar where it show the ammo you have equiped and the remaining ammo left on this slot/inventory ?
    Will there be a possibility of stacking arrow by 999 ? (not the quiver, or pouch that would still give a stack of 99).
    (0)

Page 91 of 297 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 ... LastLast