Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Server Merge

  1. #11
    Player Elphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    235
    Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandark View Post
    14 went from being a game closer to XI than it is currently to a game that has become basicly a WoW clone
    So many ppl want to say ffxi is its own incarnation and fight that to the point where they don't seem to realize ffxi is an EQ clone.

    Having just canceled my sub to ffxi in favor of ffxiv (I cannot justify paying $16 a month after mules x2 accounts for a game that is basically a single player these days when I can pay $7.99 a month for xiv with its booming population and a good bit of content since 2.1) I must say that xiv is not even close to a wow clone. Sure they share a couple minor similarities but its not a true clone.

    I also like the fact that I log in and am greeted by a fc of about 60-something players who are active, want to do endgame, want to lvl, want to gear, want to play together. I was logging into xi for months since v1 of ffxiv went offline and barely said 2 words to anyone else. LS I would join would go belly up within a couple weeks, ppl would look at you and say ilvl117? gtfo and honestly I don't see a point in busting my behind of a r/e/m anymore. Even if they are best of the best in some cases since the boost they got the work you need to put into them is way to much for this game anymore. And all the work I put into obtaining gear was pointless as they sit on my mannequin.

    A server merge may be a good thing but I think at this point its like a Band-Aid on a stab wound.
    (4)

  2. #12
    Player Vandark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7
    Character
    Vandark
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    I must say that xiv is not even close to a wow clone. Sure they share a couple minor similarities but its not a true clone.
    FF14 in a nut shell

    - Crafting took a huge hit and is basically useless now for end game, so why bother crafting, what a waste of time and content
    - Gathering is useless now coz all it dose is fund pointless crafting
    - Gil has close to no purpose apart from an insanely over priced housing cost implemented and repairs. It has no real use because there is no point in funding crafting or gathering, you won't get the return you want, you can earn all the equipment you will ever need threw questing and dungeons and all the gil you'll ever need is earned in dungeons also so why bother making gil.
    - Previous point eliminates the use in farming, so anyone who enjoys farming too bad because you won't make good money doing it and there isn't much point in it now anyway.
    - Leveling, the entire system for leveling is smashing monsters that spawn randomly all over the place in an outside group this means you don't interact with other players and it's basically just a spam fest of huge numbers smashing at the same mobs without any form of difficulty or strategy. It feels more grindy because it's so repetitive and boring, it's the same experience for every time you level a new job and the old party system in FFXIV 1.23 was more engaging and was actually faster exp.
    - The game is mostly solo, all you do is play solo in this game for the most part, the entire story apart from more dungeons is solo'ed..... Even gearing up in end game is mostly solo play just with others around you.
    - The zones have no sense of danger
    - The zones are 1/3rd of the size they used to be
    - The zones have no exploration because there all a set path layed out for you with no alternative directions to take and with no caves to enter or underground areas to explore.
    - Everyone is pimp in this game has there relics for all there lvl 50 jobs and the best end game gear, everyone looks the same because the game is incredibly easy and everything is handed to you without providing much effort and basically no skill.

    What about it is like a wow clone?
    All these games befor FFXIV – ARR were basically wow clones
    .Guild Wars 2
    .Rift Online
    .Tera
    .SWTOR
    What do these have in common?
    - Questing to lvl
    - Questing to do the main story
    - Lots of the same type of quests, running from A to B constantly back and forth all the time, kill these mobs, run to A, kill these mobs, run to B, do this emote, pick up these items. That about sums it up for all the quests in the game.
    - End game is only dungeons, raids and PvP and have nothing else to offer.
    - They all were forced to take on the free to play model because they seriously lacked content
    - Instances where monsters spawn in large groups, Guild wars 2 and Rift online and now Fates in FF14.

    What is a WoW clone, a game thats like WoW right?

    Not exactly, a WoW clone from what I can see consists of taking small parts from WoW and trying to make it new.

    What is bad about this?
    Everything!
    -They always take the same parts from WoW that people see in every game now and it's seriously getting old.
    -They try to revolve there entire game around these small parts that they have taken from WoW creating a very basic world that feels and plays like child play with very little to offer players.
    "Theme park MMO"

    What dose FF14 have that’s different?
    Housing that no one can afford?
    Limit breaks that for the most part only dragoon and monk get to use and only in a team?
    Crafting and gathering that is no longer cool like it was in 1.23 or has a purpose?
    Story which ends then the game is basically over?
    Is this supposed to be a console game or an MMO because right now it doesn’t feel like an MMO to me. In FFXIV I have nothing left to do except a few dungeons and pvp, that’s about it, I’ve already finished the entire game and I’m over it and it only took me a month to do everything.
    (5)
    Last edited by Vandark; 01-13-2014 at 08:27 AM.

  3. #13
    Player Elphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    235
    Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandark View Post
    FF14 in a nut shell

    - Crafting took a huge hit and is basically useless now for end game, so why bother crafting, what a waste of time and content
    - Gathering is useless now coz all it dose is fund pointless crafting
    - Gil has close to no purpose apart from an insanely over priced housing cost implemented and repairs. It has no real use because there is no point in funding crafting or gathering, you won't get the return you want, you can earn all the equipment you will ever need threw questing and dungeons and all the gil you'll ever need is earned in dungeons also so why bother making gil.
    - Previous point eliminates the use in farming, so anyone who enjoys farming too bad because you won't make good money doing it and there isn't much point in it now anyway.
    - Leveling, the entire system for leveling is smashing monsters that spawn randomly all over the place in an outside group this means you don't interact with other players and it's basically just a spam fest of huge numbers smashing at the same mobs without any form of difficulty or strategy. It feels more grindy because it's so repetitive and boring, it's the same experience for every time you level a new job and the old party system in FFXIV 1.23 was more engaging and was actually faster exp.
    - The game is mostly solo, all you do is play solo in this game for the most part, the entire story apart from more dungeons is solo'ed..... Even gearing up in end game is mostly solo play just with others around you.
    - The zones have no sense of danger
    - The zones are 1/3rd of the size they used to be
    - The zones have no exploration because there all a set path layed out for you with no alternative directions to take and with no caves to enter or underground areas to explore.
    - Everyone is pimp in this game has there relics for all there lvl 50 jobs and the best end game gear, everyone looks the same because the game is incredibly easy and everything is handed to you without providing much effort and basically no skill.
    The funniest part about this is that it basically describes xi too LOL

    And I am not saying ffxi is bad. Heck I played it for 7 yrs and in its prime it was astounding. What I am saying is that it doesn't have much to offer anymore, and that has as much to do with the community as it does anything else. But haters gonna hate, white knights will always blindly defend I guess. /shrug
    (1)
    Last edited by Elphy; 01-13-2014 at 09:32 AM.

  4. #14
    Player Vandark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7
    Character
    Vandark
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    snip
    It described the new XI but not the old XI or the old FF14, the new FF14 is a joke
    (3)

  5. #15
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    7,116
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandark View Post
    It described the new XI but not the old XI or the old FF14, the new FF14 is a joke
    a joke in terms of how hilariously superior it is to the original.
    (1)

  6. #16
    Player Castanica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    320
    Character
    Burpforjebus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    The populations are fine, they are very average to what they have always been outside of the peaks.

    Go back 4-5 years and they were around the same as they are now, I can post a link where people have been posting population numbers for 5-6 years that show this. They peaked at certain points but the average was always around the 1-1.5 mark at JP prime.

    The problem isn't population, the problem is that the developers have ruined FFXI and taken it away from what made it great and more inline with modern solo experiences.

    Also honestly I wanted this to go f2p for a while but the truth is there is no way FFXI would work as f2p, just impossible for them to make money from it. They can't setup a cash shop, they can't add cosmetics due to ps2 ram limiations etc.

    Also if you 3 want to discuss FFXIV maybe goto the XIV forum and not disrespect the XI forum with your chatting about another game? Just a suggestion, one I'm sure you won't bother to take any notice of of course since XIV players never did seem to have any respect for XI players.
    (5)
    Last edited by Castanica; 01-13-2014 at 09:38 PM.

  7. #17
    Player Feary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    129
    Character
    Feary
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Castanica View Post
    The populations are fine, they are very average to what they have always been outside of the peaks.

    Go back 4-5 years and they were around the same as they are now, I can post a link where people have been posting population numbers for 5-6 years that show this. They peaked at certain points but the average was always around the 1-1.5 mark at JP prime.

    The problem isn't population, the problem is that the developers have ruined FFXI and taken it away from what made it great and more inline with modern solo experiences.

    Also honestly I wanted this to go f2p for a while but the truth is there is no way FFXI would work as f2p, just impossible for them to make money from it. They can't setup a cash shop, they can't add cosmetics due to ps2 ram limiations etc.

    Also if you 3 want to discuss FFXIV maybe goto the XIV forum and not disrespect the XI forum with your chatting about another game? Just a suggestion, one I'm sure you won't bother to take any notice of of course since XIV players never did seem to have any respect for XI players.
    do you even play still? remember you are still posting in the NA section of the forums so what na wants the busiest time of their server to be 3am-7am est.

    our server, 5 years ago the player base was 3 times what it is now. at server merge we averaged 2500-3000 players. before after wotg release we had 5k+. it then went down to 1500-2000 after abyssea. now its 500-1000. on a good day after an update 1500.

    200 of the 600 ppl on right now are in beaucidine fishing, 100 afk in adoulin 150 afk in PJ.
    (0)

  8. #18
    Player oliveira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    226
    Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Weekdays, Fenrir has 550-680 people at the lowest population time, 1100-1300ish during Japanese playtime hours.

    On weekends during Japanese playtime hours it's around 2000+ people. Hopefully no merger happens anytime soon... -_-;
    (3)

  9. #19
    Player Cnile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1
    Character
    Cnile
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I can see both overall points made here. If you are able to be part of a community that is great. You probably have more time to invest in the relationship building that ffxi has done a great job enabling us to do. However, others that do not have the time to invest in relationships, i.e. "community" rely on the ability to just log in for an hour or 2 and be able to be a part of something that is fulfilling and rewarding. I don't know how your servers are looking but, if you were on a server like Leviathan (a dead zone) and tried to shout for members or join a pick up group for delve you will be quick to realize that it might be a 2-5 hour investment. Anyways both points are valid.
    (0)

  10. #20
    Player Dragoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    1,549
    Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 66

    €°(((><

    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    You say "wow clone" in a derogatory context, but the fact is, while there are some things many people don't like about it, there are things it did do well, and those things are why it was so successful.
    I tend to think these things like this, or something like this: in a way, alcohol, tobacco, and the likes, are successful.

    Does it make them a good thing?

    Things done well, sure, when one looks at them in a certain way. While World of Warcraft may have its 'good things', it's probably addictive, too, which I guess makes it a good game at least in some way. This is no doubt one of the reasons many 'clones' exist, and why Yoshida, too, stated that they copied WoW on certain things. Billions of dung beetles can't be wrong, right? Or so one might say... Opinions, and all that.

    While that might not be the bestest of comparisons, as those things are probably more useful (no offence intended), it seemed fit in describing a population with a similar want. As with most things, they can't please each and every one of us; I personally haven't been interested in a modern game for ages it feels, and possibly never will be! This goes for X|V just as well. I was probably more interested in it during it's very first αlpha phase, even though it was as broken as it was.

    While I do sort of doubt it to be as similar as a clone, I have not personally played WoW, and am not planning to do so, and for that reason I can't really say much about that. I do feel like describing FFX|V as its clone is a bit much, but I do also think that I understand the meaning of it when people call it one.

    Point probably being that, while a thing may be successful and the majority may think it's good, there will be some that don't fancy that thing, and instead, go from flower to flower...


    As for the server merging, I don't think it would necessarily be a good thing now, although I may have thought differently some time before. I don't think I have much say in it, however, as I'm not one of the majority(?) who does things that require lots of fellow players around. :S

    Who knows. Perhaps they'll create servers targeting specific regions where people can move for free (once), instead of forcing them together, having the more populated time-range become suffocated (probably not quite that bad, but eh). It's not a new thought here, I think, but it is an unlikely one to become reality.

    Probably.

    What was I talking about again? Nothing!
    (1)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 01-21-2014 at 03:57 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    ~ The Noob Unlimited ~



    Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast