Thread: Server Merge

Character
    Lothire
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 88

Server Merge

In any MMO, this is a hot topic. Some people are for it, and some people are against it. However, with FFXI being such a social MMO, and after a bunch of people left for FFXIV, I think it's about time to have another merge.

Have there been any announcements regarding upcoming server merges? I would be completely for it, because starting fresh with barren auction houses and nobody in old zones kind of sucks... XIV didn't really hold out for me, and I want to come back and enjoy this.

What do you think?
    (1)

Player
    We need it, but we don't need it. Admittedly we do have congestion in WKs, we need them to die down before we start getting merges, otherwise we are only walking into issues we asked for.
    (8)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    server merges would be a nice thing.
    (3)

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Character
    Predatory
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    server merges would be a nice thing.
    Actually not a nice thing, a very needed thing, the game is in its death throes now, and a server merge might stave it off long enough for SE to fix the problems they created with SoA, but the longer they wait on a server merge, the more people will leave simply because of low populations, and staring at a screen hoping for something to pop up. I've always been a take charge and shout to get shit going kind of guy, but there are a lot of people who don't shout and they kind of wait, the longer the wait the less likely they are to keep playing, and right now with populations so low, there isn't many shouts for stuff going on.
    (3)

Character
    Lothire
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by predatory View Post
    Actually not a nice thing, a very needed thing, the game is in its death throes now, and a server merge might stave it off long enough for SE to fix the problems they created with SoA, but the longer they wait on a server merge, the more people will leave simply because of low populations, and staring at a screen hoping for something to pop up. I've always been a take charge and shout to get shit going kind of guy, but there are a lot of people who don't shout and they kind of wait, the longer the wait the less likely they are to keep playing, and right now with populations so low, there isn't many shouts for stuff going on.
    Agreed. A bunch of people I've spoken with in-game would love a server merge too. Hopefully SE has some news regarding this soon.
    (1)

Character
    Anjou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 60
    They love the idea of a merge...until they find out it's -their- server merging and they lose their name to someone's inactive mule.
    (7)

Character
    Seigyoku
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjou View Post
    They love the idea of a merge...until they find out it's -their- server merging and they lose their name to someone's inactive mule.
    There's this.

And there is the fact that just because a server has a low population during the hours people in NA play doesn't mean it's as low at say, Japanese prime hours. Sylph is a small server, (has been for a while), and the population has taken a hit during the hours I play. However more than once I have stayed up WAY later than I should, and did a /sea all, to find nearly twice as many people on.

I'm not saying server merges aren't likely in the future. I think in 2014 there will be some. But the folks who actually have access to hard data on how many people log in from where and what time likely have to crunch those numbers a lot to determine when and what servers will go. Simply halving the servers is likely to cause a mess during the hours of the day where for years now the most people have been logged in. And that won't help any either.

And before someone comes in a says "well just make JP only servers and NA only servers etc etc." that may "solve" YOUR issue, but would needlessly move people who are perfectly ok on global servers and maybe (I know, crazy) play with people from all over the world.

(Personally my fear is that since Sylph is tiny, it will be a source server and not a target one, and I may lose any of my character's names, as they were all carefully chose. /sigh)
    (6)
    Don't wish. Don't start.

I'm in Quetz and it's not so big server.I can see my online friends is much lesser.(JP peak time)
    Also,when we merged with Mids,Quetz was target one.so,
    if we'll merge next time,I fear Quetz will not be target one.Even I think it's fair for all servers which became
    source servers until now,Every server has its atmosphere,I felt it I visited friend in Odin,and Siren for user event.
    I'm so nervous whether I can fit other atmosphere or not.(After 11years on Quetz)

Also I have same fear with Sapphire.But as a JP player who want to play with worldwide players.
    Time zone makes it difficult,but I met many J/E JP players here,get along with NA&EU players.
    I'm not sure,maybe there's other servers which is much better.
    But as Sapphire says,I'm here and don't want to lose atmosphere we managed to keep in This server.

(You can call me hopeless romantic)
    (4)
    _・)ノどもっ
    BLM99(心のメインジョブやっと☆)WHM99 ,GEO99★,こるせあはじめました。RDM,BRD,SCH,SMN,BLU=99修行中。イドリス(まだ餅なし)できたぞーヽ(`Д´)ノCooking94.Chat:1mil.since 2002:Quetz Native

Character
    Lllen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm in NA, most of the time there are 500 or so people on server, it may hit 1k during JP time, but when its at 500 and there are 200 in WKR, and another WKR is starting every able bodied player is in WKR. A merge would be a good thing, I hated giving up Hades but it was so nice seeing 2k people on, you could get a party (back in the days when you partied). I would vote for a merge, I think the time is now.
    (0)

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    There's this.

And there is the fact that just because a server has a low population during the hours people in NA play doesn't mean it's as low at say, Japanese prime hours. Sylph is a small server, (has been for a while), and the population has taken a hit during the hours I play. However more than once I have stayed up WAY later than I should, and did a /sea all, to find nearly twice as many people on.

I'm not saying server merges aren't likely in the future. I think in 2014 there will be some. But the folks who actually have access to hard data on how many people log in from where and what time likely have to crunch those numbers a lot to determine when and what servers will go. Simply halving the servers is likely to cause a mess during the hours of the day where for years now the most people have been logged in. And that won't help any either.

And before someone comes in a says "well just make JP only servers and NA only servers etc etc." that may "solve" YOUR issue, but would needlessly move people who are perfectly ok on global servers and maybe (I know, crazy) play with people from all over the world.

(Personally my fear is that since Sylph is tiny, it will be a source server and not a target one, and I may lose any of my character's names, as they were all carefully chose. /sigh)
    I work nights so my play hours are non standard. I like Global Servers at least that way I don't hit a dead zone where me and only about 200 other people are on...
    (3)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast