Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Mifaco
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Why do you still play FFXI?

Genuinely curious about this one. I played FFXI from 2004-2013. I moved on to FFXIV a while ago, and I returned with this campaign to check out what all has changed, and it looks like it changed for the worse. 1200 players at prime time, when it used to be 4000? Same clunky UI? Trust NPCs added to make up for the lack of players? It also looks like they've been copying all the best ideas from FFXIV to make the game less grindy.

Why still play?

Hardmode: You cannot use "friends" as a reason
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    After ten years I'm still trying to get my Mog House to look "just right."
    (6)

My goal is the same as it has always been. Completion of the storylines, which Abyssea started to make easier, and the new gear and systems have made easier. I'm near the end of Zilart, and just made it to Promathia tonight. Also, I have fun with the people in my linkshells, and there's so much content to do. FFXIV hasn't clicked with me during the trial period, and I'm a bit annoyed at having to quest so far in a starting job before being allowed to unlock crafting/gathering jobs or switch to a different combat job for a while.

FFXIV is also hard to switch to when I have a bunch of friends all wanting me to play on their server, and they split themselves between 5 servers. I started FFXI first in my group, and when the NA release happened later, they still decided to split between 2 servers.
    (2)

Character
    Eyeballed
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Soloing and taking it easy.
    (2)

Character
    Ovjang
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    I too came back during the campaign, feeling bored with pre-2.1 FFXIV found monstrosity addicting once more. When I left a few months back, I was primarily playing for Monstrosity.

If they ever decide to reinstate the both sub discount I may decide to resub, although they already said no on the FFXIV side.
    (0)

Player
    I ask myself everyday, I quit for a couple weeks, every payment period. Then I pay, cause they add some new thing that I've always wanted, realize it's too late to care, and let the sub lapse again...

Only reason I can really say I still play, is because I will in no way ever start another MMO, well, not one I have to pay for. Tried some free ones, bleh, and I'm too old to start new, so that's why.

No real reason other than lack of other options, to be perfectly honest.
    (2)

Character
    Rentwokay
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 75
    Ask me again when I get Summoner to 99, when all the pre-Adoulin storylines are completed, and when I have a Level 99 Funguar to cause my own personal shroomageddon.
    (1)

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I can't wait for the F2P thing to end so all these boo-hooing, purple lipstick, eye shadow-wearing children stop making threads.

4000? When was the last time you played? 2009, the day after the server merges?

XIV has almost nothing going for it after you hit 50, beat the story, and get your relic weapon. After 4 months, they finally release the first update, and it's offered me little incentive to play.

XI, on the other hand, has been getting monthly updates that have been getting better and better. I'm finally able to do salvage solo and finish my mythic. Walk of Echoes is a blast and there are tons of new weapon skills to unlock. Tons of monsters to unlock and level, new areas, new missions, new content, and a TON of things to do.

FFXIV doesn't even have merit points. You have to throw away tens of thousands of EXP if you don't have a job sitting in the 40s and you want to do the new quests, and you're punished for doing content on your main job. And without Blue Mage, Ninja, and a real Summoner, I don't have any passion for any of the jobs FFXIV offers.
    (15)
    Last edited by Edyth; 12-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Monstrosity.

Thats about it. I do venture out in Mithra form every so often for the fading social interaction, but generally I stomp faces in monstrosity.
    (1)

Character
    Mefuki
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Monstrosity, the wealth of customization via instincts and monster types and the battle system therein. I really appreciate the number of different builds, gearsets and battle style choices that I can make in this game.

Things are bound to get even more interesting as they introduce Mon Vs. Mon fights, Monipulator party mechanics and Monipulator access to certain content/quests.

Like I've said here in the past, if SE gives Monstrosity the proper attention and strategic depth, they've got a real hit here.

Now as far as the game having been changed for the worse, during the summer I would have agreed but now? After the update we just had? Hardly. In fact, I think it's a good sign of the direction the game is going. See, me and my friends, back in the spring when Delve was released, quit. We were a small group of 3, MAYBE 4 including me and when we saw that all the gear we had or were working on was suddenly useless, it was pretty demoralizing. We stuck around for a little while afterwards but when we started to see that the only thing left to really do was Alliance content (e.i. Delve), we just couldn't do that. We didn't have the time, the connections, the ability to be at LS organized events, the ability to sit around waiting for hours join shouts/making shout groups and there was little to do if one of us was missing.

When I or others were called away all of a sudden because of work stuff (which for me, happens often) or some other reason, everyone felt like there was now no reason to be logged in. There was nothing to do. Nothing to put work toward. So we just sort of stopped playing.

Fast forward to August and Monstrosity, I was looking forward to that system since it was announced and I started really enjoying taking on IT monsters on my own, customizing them, using monsters with quirky skills and traits (I still remember how excited I was when I used my first BLM monster and just feeling like, "Finally, I'm using nukes and I'm not just immediately dying to this IT!") and putting effort in and getting reward out via instinct and monster unlockables.

And now, with Records of Eminence and Trust Magic, I have the ability to log in and immediately start making progress. I don't have to wait around for 2+ hours before I can actually play the game I pay for or I can just play for a little bit here and there, starting and stopping all day if I want to.

I've always enjoyed the battle and customization system in this game and now I can readily play a game I like when I want, not when the LS says I have to.

So, TL;DR would be something like: I play it because I enjoy it and because recent updates and dev posts have given me hope that it's going to get even better.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mefuki; 12-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast