Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Congratulations FFXI team for Skirmish 2.0

I think it was the best planned event for all players. Myself not being a hardcore managed through my ls get stuff done there and now im able to get through random groups as well.

Though the weapons are not as good as delve they feel powerful and rewarding. The red gear (all of them are red) looks awesome and have awesome stats as well that gives up pride in wearing them.

It was a well thought event that is avaiable to all players instead of the same minority of elitists that would call you in the middle of night to get online.

The rewarding system through wings gives us reason to keep happy doing it even if we dont get drops in our runs. The augment stones makes veterans who already collect all gear come back to gamble for better results and keeps the event alive with constant tells that allows those that havent got gear to start.

This is how an end game event should be made. The only thing i think that it still needs some improvement is to make them more like cirdas in terms of gameplay, fast and fluid, being fun to do. Yorcia is kinda boring to wait for waves.

But the event is a success. Now people like us can even dream about doing stronger stuff in the future without having to submit to a nazi linkshell for delve.

Thank you.
    (20)

Player
    It's odd that I find a post on the forums that I agree with...

But, yeah, skirmish II was done extremely well, I absolutely love the tower defense style of the yorcia sets. Legit.

The only problem I have, is still this iLvL garbage. Skirmish II gear isn't good because it's actually good... It's only good because it HAS to be worn to be counted as a level 113.

The gear itself doesn't actually give any bonus stats, only things that we should already have. it's like the gear is worn to make us the equivalent of a 113, and that's it. Like if you had to wear an Armada hauberk to be level 79ish way back when. But you wouldn't actually get the +11 stats... I know it's a difficult concept to grasp.

If we were actually level 113 the stats on the skirmish set would be (nothing but defense and augs) the raw stats technically don't exist... I would rather actually be level 113 and still wear my previous gear sets, with actual (bonus) stats, or actually be 113 and still have the stats on the skirmish set.
    (3)
    Last edited by Karah; 09-17-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    It's odd that I find a post on the forums that I agree with...

But, yeah, skirmish II was done extremely well, I absolutely love the tower defense style of the yorcia sets. Legit.

The only problem I have, is still this iLvL garbage. Skirmish II gear isn't good because it's actually good... It's only good because it HAS to be worn to be counted as a level 113.

The gear itself doesn't actually give any bonus stats, only things that we should already have. it's like the gear is worn to make us the equivalent of a 113, and that's it. Like if you had to wear an Armada hauberk to be level 79ish way back when. But you wouldn't actually get the +11 stats... I know it's a difficult concept to grasp.

If we were actually level 113 the stats on the skirmish set would be (nothing but defense and augs) the raw stats technically don't exist...
    Nice comment from both of you. I haven't played Skirmish yet but after reading both comments, I'm interested to find out how the new improvement is. Also good review coming from Karah alone means its worth checking out.

Thanks.
    (1)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    It's not all peaches and cream unfortunately. The way the event is structured means you are forced to wait around while mobs spawn and make their way to wherever you are. Also, depending on what level you're doing, you're stuck standing around for 25, 35, or even 45 minutes if you want to complete the secondary objective. It gets frantic at the end, but before that it's very boring. Since winning or losing depends on defending the cantonment for X amount of time, there's no way to win early by being good like there was with Rala and Cirdas Skirmish.

The gear is excellent, but you'll find yourself capped out on what you need very quickly. It's kind of on the opposite scale of WKR in that you get too easily. Between direct drops and wings, you'll can finish the event within a day if you wanted to.

Or at least you could if not for the maddeningly random augments. That's a whole 'nother thing. PDT is always given, occasionally you'll get a second augment. The stat ranges are way too wide. As an example, MATK can vary from 1 to 30 on Hagondes armor. However, you also have to get lucky that MATK even loads because 10 different types of augments are possible. It can be very frustrating.

Overall, the event is good and bad. Very powerful gear, very easy to get. Augments are frustrating and you will have to settle on something you're not entirely happy with or you'll go crazy. Also the gear is ugly!
    (6)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    The way the event is structured means you are forced to wait around while mobs spawn and make their way to wherever you are.
    Well, you could be standing around in jeuno or adoulin instead, no matter what there is A LOT of standing around to be done, whether its for gear or just plain doing nothing.
    Also, depending on what level you're doing, you're stuck standing around for 25, 35, or even 45 minutes if you want to complete the secondary objective.
    You're not stuck standing around, you're just waiting for spawns, that's how the game always has been.
    It gets frantic at the end, but before that it's very boring. Since winning or losing depends on defending the cantonment for X amount of time, there's no way to win early by being good like there was with Rala and Cirdas Skirmish.
    It's a classic tower defense, which i happen to LOVE, it's awesome. the waves start slow and easy and get harder and harder.
    The gear is excellent, but you'll find yourself capped out on what you need very quickly. It's kind of on the opposite scale of WKR in that you get too easily. Between direct drops and wings, you'll can finish the event within a day if you wanted to.
    The gear is "legit" barely passable, but opinions etc.
    Or at least you could if not for the maddeningly random augments. That's a whole 'nother thing. PDT is always given, occasionally you'll get a second augment. The stat ranges are way too wide. As an example, MATK can vary from 1 to 30 on Hagondes armor. However, you also have to get lucky that MATK even loads because 10 different types of augments are possible. It can be very frustrating.
    Augment system is always garbage, period. I have nothing good to say about augments whatsoever, but the event itself is great.
    Overall, the event is good and bad. Very powerful gear, very easy to get. Augments are frustrating and you will have to settle on something you're not entirely happy with or you'll go crazy. Also the gear is ugly!
    Only the helmets are ugly~ /displayhead off!
    (0)
    Last edited by Karah; 09-17-2013 at 04:15 AM.

I disagree I found skirmish 2 one of the worst events SE has ever made. Nobody I know in my LS liked it at all. Weak mobs that die in like 2-3 auto attack rounds guarding a tent for 30-45 min isn't fun. This is so boring waiting around, your good gear can't make it go faster due to the fact you have to just sit there and wait most of the time. To me skirmish 2 is a snoozefest, just got me playing FFXIV more.

I would make something that has actual challenge in it. Not stand around for 30 min doing nothing 90% of the time and collect loot.

Delve in comparison is a lot better because your actually going out and fighting stuff trying to do it fast to beat the timer.
    (9)
    Last edited by Zumi; 09-17-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Character
    Vinedrius
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It isn't fun at all. It is almost like being rewarded for standing still. mobs hit hard but die too fast, you dont even break a sweat and waiting for waves is killing me. there was nothing wrong with the pace of rala and cirdas. they introduced a different style of gameplay with yorcia and this tower defence concept is fun on paper but they chose to slow down the pace too much for some reason. also, it doesn't matter how well geared and/or skilled you are. we had enough of this "waiting" game for years. why not just stick with your new mind set and keep it as a fast paced content since it was originally introduced as such. i mean just look at the rest of the SoA content. they are all about non stop combat. this could have been a much more faster tower defense action. faster waves, mobs getting stronger rapidly, more options to enhance your defenses, like various traps on the way of mobs, strong buffs for those who stand near the camp (see: campaign martellos), reinforcement NPCs, gathering materials away from the camp to repair the camp with some easy mini game etc etc
    (7)
    Last edited by Vinedrai; 09-17-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Character
    Fynlar
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Try using some higher tier torsos; it gets pretty frantic then.
    (0)

Character
    Mdkuser
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I always use V/V/V but I find it super boring. Idk why people think skirmish is any "fun". I hate it, but the rewards are good.
    (4)

Player
    Its not challenging either, take some BLMs, a BRD, maybe a DD to kill nests while the BLMs do all the work, and it becomes effortless.
    (5)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast