Player

Rune Fencer and Elemental Spikes Spells

Why do Rune Fencers get the spikes spells as magic; I think it would be much more interesting and fitting for their runes to grant them a spike effect since the enspells come from the runes. Here is the example I had in mind.

1.) Ignis: Increases resistance against ice and deals fire damage.
    -Grants enfire
    -Grants Blaze Spikes (Deals fire damage and has an addition effect of plague.)
    -Increases resistance against ice

2.) Gelus: Increases resistance against wind and deals ice damage.
    -Grants enblizzard
    -Grants Ice spikes (Deals ice damage and has an addition effect of paralyze.)
    -Increases resistance against wind

3.) Flabra: Increases resistance against earth and deals wind damage.
    -Grants enaero
    -Grants Gale Spikes (Deals wind damage and has an addition effect of silence.)
    -Increases resistance against earth

4.) Tellus: Increases resistance against lightning and deals earth damage.
    -Grants enstone
    -Grants Terra Spikes (Deals earth damage and has an addition effect of slow.)
    -Increases resistance against lightning

5.) Sulpor: Increases resistance against water and deals lightning damage.
    -Grants enthunder
    -Grants Shock Spikes (Deals lightning damage and has an addition effect of stun.)
    -Increases resistance against water

6.) Unda: Increases resistance against fire and deals water damage.
    -Grants enwater
    -Grants Aqua Spikes (Deals water damage and has an addition effect of poison.)
    -Increases resistance against fire

7.) Lux: Increases resistance against darkness and deals light damage.
    -Grants enlight
    -Grants Aurora Spikes (Deals light damage and has an addition effect of flash.)
    -Increases resistance against darkness

8.) Tenebrae: Increases resistance against light and deals darkness damage.
    -Grants endark
    -Grants Dread Spikes (Deals dark damage and has an addition effect of drain.)
    -Increases resistance aganist light
    (6)

Character
    Volarione
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 91
    battuta basically is this and with the new fast cast spiked are easily cast mid fight. sorry I'm happy with tune ATM.
    (3)

Character
    Colliex
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I like this idea, it basically completely embodies the rune fencer with that element and the statuses are a really nice touch. Hopefully rune fencer has more updates to come and maybe SE can consider this
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    some how I see a relic/empyrean piece with "augments rune enhancement" doing this or similar...
    (2)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    some how I see a relic/empyrean piece with "augments rune enhancement" doing this or similar...
    Quite likely I think.

The elemental spikes damage seems reasonable enough and I wouldn't see a problem with it. My concern is when you start getting into status effects. Dangerous territory as far as balance goes. Clearly Lux and Tenebrae effects are far and above that of say, Flabra or Ignis. Flash would inevitably make you an evasion master because of the over-potent blind, while dread spikes (even at a small % return) essentially operates like -PDT. Start running into the issue DRK had when those spikes were first released where you could just tank everything and take 0 damage (until something dropped you to 0 first). Maybe Dia and Bio/Blind instead of Flash and Drain would be better options for those two.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Amaran
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    As mentioned earlier Battuta basicly does the same thing, but only as counter damage. Unlike spike spells, it doesn't trigger everytime the player is hit and spikes cover the player from all directions. With Battuta and Ice spikes you can prety much relax and conserve some mp.

With that said I would have liked to see a merrit that would have gave a slight chance for an added effect to occure with spike damage or give a spike effect to players near the player. Where the effect strength is based on the active runes at the time and the merrits would increase the rate that the effect would trigger. But thats only assuming theres a group 3 merrits in development. Apart from that I'm still suprised not every element has a -spikes spell buff and the only light and dark spikes are only for Pld and Drk respectivly.
    (1)

Player
    This looks like something likely to be added to a RUN empyrean armor that augments Rune Enchantment or one of several bonuses on a RUN mythic.

7.) Lux: Increases resistance against darkness and deals light damage.
    -Grants enlight
    -Grants Aurora Spikes (Deals light damage and has an addition effect of flash.)
    -Increases resistance against darkness

8.) Tenebrae: Increases resistance against light and deals darkness damage.
    -Grants endark
    -Grants Dread Spikes (Deals dark damage and has an addition effect of drain.)
    -Increases resistance aganist light
    How about changing Tenebrae to Blind and change Light to Dispel. It's less broken.
    (2)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 08-19-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Player
    I also wouldn't mind seein RUN get traits called "Attunement" which increase duration of Enhancing Magic.

SCH has Perpetuance
    RDM has Composure and Empyrean pieces that increase duration of Enhancing.

to make RUN unique, it should get traits.

It's sometimes a little difficult to get buffs back and it would also let us conserve some MP over time by having to cast less frequently. It could be 5% per trait and up to 6 traits at 99 thus increasing buff duration by 30%. Either that or put some "Increases duration of Enhancing Magic" on several pieces of RUN AF2/AF3 like RDM has.
    (2)

Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I think that something Addlespikes would be fun.
    (0)
    Last edited by Xerius; 08-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't see it happening when they gave us spells, SE simply isn't known for a do over on stuff like this.
    (0)