Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Lartfor
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 74
    IMO the biggest issue with RUN atm is the gear selection... The choices, especially for a "tank" are absolutely deplorable in the lvl 30-60 range... The main cause that I personally believe is responsible for this is the lack of "Chain Armor" options. RUN is suppose to be a tank, at least that's what I keep hearing... Limiting them to Scale Armor seems a bit questionable at best... Ninjas can even use heavier armor than them...

Proposal: Introduce some lower level job non af specific gear (like every other class has). Allow RUN to equip up to Chain Style Armor.
    (0)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by andotaco86 View Post
    IMO the biggest issue with RUN atm is the gear selection... The choices, especially for a "tank" are absolutely deplorable in the lvl 30-60 range... The main cause that I personally believe is responsible for this is the lack of "Chain Armor" options. RUN is suppose to be a tank, at least that's what I keep hearing... Limiting them to Scale Armor seems a bit questionable at best... Ninjas can even use heavier armor than them...

Proposal: Introduce some lower level job non af specific gear (like every other class has). Allow RUN to equip up to Chain Style Armor.
    Eh, Chain armor is still a little heavy. I think the only reason NIN are allowed to equip is because actual Ninja were known to wear chain mail, or at least a light-weight variant. RUN on the other hand is very light armor driven and the reasoning behind it makes sense. It's just a poor execution in a game where even elementals fight using physical attacks. I don't believe the type of armor is a limiting factor with RUN. It is its limited ability to take physical damage between elemental attacks which is exacerbated by its intended use of parrying/evasion skill having a rate cap, surpassed only by a merit ability that is active 3/10ths of the time. The other 7/10ths (or 3.5 minutes) you're sitting there flapping in the wind.

Really hoping this AF will come through with a strong DEF stat, 1-2 pieces of -DT, a good amount of generic MDB for those occasions when you are not stacked 3 runes high in an off element, and at least one piece that will extend the duration of Battuta or Swordplay, enough so that we can alternate between the two.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Lartfor
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    Eh, Chain armor is still a little heavy. I think the only reason NIN are allowed to equip is because actual Ninja were known to wear chain mail, or at least a light-weight variant.
    You are very correct, Historically Ninjas, like pretty much every other martial warrior of the time wore chain armor to some degree. You seem to justify a ninjas usage of chain simply based on a real world version of our ffxi ninja. While I am in no ways making a case against ninjas wearing chain, I am simply highlighting that your opnion of them using it being "reasonable" based on a real world comparison, which is fine...

What's not fine is that you seem to be under the impression that there are no Real world comparisons with RUN that would justify the usage of heavier armor. The reality is that the martial art of fighting with Great Swords, which is Highlighted in the "Codex of Wallerstein" is very much linked to the usage of heavy armor. The reason that I use the "Codex of Wallerstein" as an example is because it's easily one of the best examples of fencing with a Great Sword.

Now, none of this really matter because FFXI is a fictional universe very lightly inspired by things in Reality thus neither of our real life comparison hold any weight... My real reason for suggesting chain armor is based on my personal play through experience thus far. The role they seem to be pushing RUN into is not really a role at all, your point about Elementals doing physical dmg highlights this perfectly... No matter how resistant to magic damage, there will always be large amounts of physical damage to deal with. In theory, evasion and parry may seem like good ways of adding additional defense however there is no doubt that even with merits ect, they still come up way short...

You mention the desire for higher DEF on our "af", which I most certainly agree with you on however this does nothing to help alleviate the vast majority of gear issues seen by this class prior to 99. The ability to equip chain armor would drastically improve the current issue and would be far easier to do compared to adding large amounts of new higher def RUN gear across many of the levels.
    (0)

Character
    Lartfor
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Cljader1 View Post
    yeah but we only get to break the parry cap with battuta for 90 secs, pld breaks damage caps with its GEAR. No other job can do that, it break damage reduction caps with burtgang and aegis, run needs to break parry cap in a similiar way. We need more than a 90 second cap break.
    I think Aeigis needing a nerf is the bigger issue here.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by andotaco86 View Post
    I think Aeigis needing a nerf is the bigger issue here.
    Not only does Aegis need a nerf, but then SE needs to look into tanking as a whole once again.

PLD is only an acceptable job if it has Aegis or Ochain (preferably both) depending on the mob you're fighting. RUN needs a similarly powerful weapon/item to mitigate damage on an acceptable level. Unfortunately this mythical piece of gear doesn't even exist.

Both of these aside, now that people are killing Tojil on a regular basis, the only tanking job worth it's salt, is once again... MNK. And with the new 2 hour JAs coming soon, MNK can counter 100% of the time for a small period, with their immensely powerful fists to deal even more damage whilst not taking any.
    (1)

Character
    Darthmaull
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    After the update my Senbaak will have +188 parry. I'm not sure if that will put me above the cap. That would be nice if it did then Batutta just becomes an ability if you want to inflict damage on Mnk type mobs doing Hundred Fists.
    (1)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmaull View Post
    After the update my Senbaak will have +188 parry. I'm not sure if that will put me above the cap. That would be nice if it did then Batutta just becomes an ability if you want to inflict damage on Mnk type mobs doing Hundred Fists.
    Unless the parry skill on 100+ weapons behaves differently than your native skill, even above cap you will still only parry at best, 20% of the time. That would however be an interesting way (post-99) to make RUN an efficient tank if the added skill is not applicable to the current parry cap.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmaull View Post
    The current parry cap is 5%. Always has been.

Inquartata at 99 allows an additional 13%, pushing the cap up to 18% for RUN. Regardless of your skill > mobs skill, the cap is 18%.

Battuta adds 4% per merit on top of this cap for 1:30 duration. Final hard cap of 38%.

So, as Delvish said, unless they fundamentally change the way that parrying caps, you shill shouldn't see more than 38%. Though tbh I doubt that in delve/WK reives we'll even reach cap on the NMs anyway.
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    The current parry cap is 5%. Always has been.

Inquartata at 99 allows an additional 13%, pushing the cap up to 18% for RUN. Regardless of your skill > mobs skill, the cap is 18%.

Battuta adds 4% per merit on top of this cap for 1:30 duration. Final hard cap of 38%.

So, as Delvish said, unless they fundamentally change the way that parrying caps, you shill shouldn't see more than 38%. Though tbh I doubt that in delve/WK reives we'll even reach cap on the NMs anyway.
    rly? becaus http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Parry on bgwiki it lists the hard cap as 20% and I recall you yourself in another post mentioning you were getting a greater than 50% parry rate with battuta up, which a 20% hard cap would allow
    heck I've parsed greater than 5% parry on sam >_>
    however it would be nice to see "enhances inquarta" or "unlimits parry rate" on rune af
    (0)

Character
    Darthmaull
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    I'm not sure which site I've seen it on but there was something mentioned about the +188 parry on the new weapons when equipped in the main hand, will increase parry rate. I'm not sure by how much.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast