Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

The Future of FFXI

On a serious note though...

I'm curious about the Future of FFXI. With the current state, the game is still under the limitations of PS2. What will happen when the PS4 is released and PS2 becomes discontinued? Will the game move over to PC only? I don't own an Xbox 360 as I've never had faith in Microsoft because of the history with Windows.

Many are saying or assuming that FFXI will eventually come to an end. This is bothersome because I know many of us have dedicated endless amounts of our precious time doing quests, missions, things like REM.

I guess what I really want to know is it worth it to keep paying subscription to a game that's coming to an end? With FFXIV around the corner I'm sure a huge portion of FFXI crowd is going to move over. Which is why I'm questioning about the future of 11.

With no signs of the 11 roadmap, how long will this game last if the PS2 becomes discontinued?

I am aware of some of the upcoming updates such as Elemental Magic adjustments, REM updates, AF for Geomancer and Rune however it's hard to have faith relying on word because many of the promises of future updates have yet to be made.
    Even so these updates are only current and does not give us any answers to what the future lies past PS2 era.
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-26-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Character
    Yinnyth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    There are (apparantly) many JP players who are both FFXI and PS2 loyalists and refuse to let go of either. Now since I don't read Japanese myself, I can't say for certain if this is the actual case, but it puts SE into a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" kind of situation when it comes to ditching PS2 support. I imagine people who play on PS2, PS3, or Xbox wouldn't be willing to buy a computer to continue playing if their system of choice was dropped.
    (1)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    The game will cease to be one day, it's an inevitability. Our time is precious, but each of us deems the game worthy of our time each day we log in, so you should be thinking how much enjoyment the game has given you throughout the years opposed to "I don't want to lose my pixels".

I hope SE will bite the bullet and exclude PS2 support. There's no real reason someone can't get a cheap rig (hell you could probably piece one together for free from dumped computers, or just buy a graphics card). I would be surprised if there is a ffxi player out there so poor they can afford internet/subscription charges but not a second hand Xbox etc. Especially as prices will plummet when xbone is out.

As for ffxi future, I'm not sure. I think a lot of us still play simply for nostalgia's sake opposed to actual enjoyment. I think the game will dwindle away in the next two years.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Deifact View Post
    I think the game will dwindle away in the next two years.
    It's getting to that point huh..
    (0)

Character
    Quixote
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    On some serious note man, If anyone here still plays with a PS2 I feel bad for you ,

♫♫ 99 Problems but a PS2 ain't one
    ♫♫♫ If you having PS2 problems I feel bad for you son
    ♫♫♫ I got 99 problems but a PS2 ain't one
    Hit me ♪♪♪
    ♪♪♪

what we have is Dev problems
    (2)

Game probably barely costs them much upkeep with the sub fee they have and the staff they have supporting it. People will still play it years to come, look at other examples like EQ and Ultima Online. All you doomsday idiots need to seriously get lost and play your precious FFXIV. I'm sure a lot of us are tired of your silly delusions of FFXI dying just like it was dying 2 years ago when FFXIV first launched lol.
    (6)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    All you doomsday idiots need to seriously get lost and play your precious FFXIV. I'm sure a lot of us are tired of your silly delusions of FFXI dying just like it was dying 2 years ago when FFXIV first launched lol.
    Its not my "precious FFXIV" I care about right now, its FFXI. At the same time I have said a few times in the last week that I think this game will die. The first FFXIV failed badly because of poor leadership which ignored the players, the game itself was a massive failure, now they are on the right track, game looks great, and if it is great and does not fail then what will happen to FFXI? Many people are quitting right now because of things like RMEs being so outdone, Delve being the primary content almost no one does much else it seems, and the fact that future updates do not seem to be fixing some of the largest problems.

For years we have been preached to about balance, yet where is that now? All balance was thrown out, everything, 10 years worth of content was completely obliterated in terms of difficulty thanks to a single expansion, no a single event! In all honesty, with the amount of people jumping ship for their new game, the amount of people jumping ship period, and the amount of things we have been promised without any sign of getting it, I think this game is going to crumble soon. If you disagree, so be it, its not like were idiots with unfounded reasons, just throwing things out there, were not like people who based ideas off a calendar made by people hundreds of years ago, we are going by simple facts, and what we see around us.

If you want to think FFXI will stay around and stay strong, so be it, but I am sure myself and those like me who base our thoughts on fact understand why it might not. The best argument for why it wont die it seems is, it didn't die the other 10 times people said it, well yes, I agree, it did not die then, but just because it didn't last time, does not mean it wont this time. Signs right now point to this game going badly, the list of things coming in the next 2 months look nice, but whats missing? New 2-hours, Avatars, Magic Adjustments, RME updates, the new UI, and a ton of smaller things which have been long since talked about but never really messed with. This list is 2 months of what we are getting, it looks nice, but all of those people who thought the RME updates were around the corner, all of the people who thought magic might matter more, or hoped to pop out their new SP abilities, the SMNs who thought after the last 2~3 years they would finally have Cait Sith, all of those people just got royally disappointed, and are now closer to quitting I am sure.

Maybe its more that you need to learn what is going on in your precious FFXI, and figure out if its worth staying, or why all of these people are talking about the game dying, rather than just telling us were a bunch of idiots. FFXIV failed once, they are doing well to make sure it does not happen again, FFXI on the other hand is not going so well. Perhaps the reason FFXI did not die 2 years ago is because this game was not in as bad of shape, and FFXIV flopped, what do you think happens if FFXIV does not fail again?
    (8)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Its not my "precious FFXIV" I care about right now, its FFXI. At the same time I have said a few times in the last week that I think this game will die. The first FFXIV failed badly because of poor leadership which ignored the players, the game itself was a massive failure, now they are on the right track, game looks great, and if it is great and does not fail then what will happen to FFXI? Many people are quitting right now because of things like RMEs being so outdone, Delve being the primary content almost no one does much else it seems, and the fact that future updates do not seem to be fixing some of the largest problems.

For years we have been preached to about balance, yet where is that now? All balance was thrown out, everything, 10 years worth of content was completely obliterated in terms of difficulty thanks to a single expansion, no a single event! In all honesty, with the amount of people jumping ship for their new game, the amount of people jumping ship period, and the amount of things we have been promised without any sign of getting it, I think this game is going to crumble soon. If you disagree, so be it, its not like were idiots with unfounded reasons, just throwing things out there, were not like people who based ideas off a calendar made by people hundreds of years ago, we are going by simple facts, and what we see around us.

If you want to think FFXI will stay around and stay strong, so be it, but I am sure myself and those like me who base our thoughts on fact understand why it might not. The best argument for why it wont die it seems is, it didn't die the other 10 times people said it, well yes, I agree, it did not die then, but just because it didn't last time, does not mean it wont this time. Signs right now point to this game going badly, the list of things coming in the next 2 months look nice, but whats missing? New 2-hours, Avatars, Magic Adjustments, RME updates, the new UI, and a ton of smaller things which have been long since talked about but never really messed with. This list is 2 months of what we are getting, it looks nice, but all of those people who thought the RME updates were around the corner, all of the people who thought magic might matter more, or hoped to pop out their new SP abilities, the SMNs who thought after the last 2~3 years they would finally have Cait Sith, all of those people just got royally disappointed, and are now closer to quitting I am sure.

Maybe its more that you need to learn what is going on in your precious FFXI, and figure out if its worth staying, or why all of these people are talking about the game dying, rather than just telling us were a bunch of idiots. FFXIV failed once, they are doing well to make sure it does not happen again, FFXI on the other hand is not going so well. Perhaps the reason FFXI did not die 2 years ago is because this game was not in as bad of shape, and FFXIV flopped, what do you think happens if FFXIV does not fail again?
    And this is why I started this post to begin with. Sadly but I agree.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
    On some serious note man, If anyone here still plays with a PS2 I feel bad for you ,

♫♫ 99 Problems but a PS2 ain't one
    ♫♫♫ If you having PS2 problems I feel bad for you son
    ♫♫♫ I got 99 problems but a PS2 ain't one
    Hit me ♪♪♪
    ♪♪♪

what we have is Dev problems
    I'm on PC however PS2 limitations doesn't allow the devs to give us better adjustments such as over 80 cap inventory etc. this is why im curious what will happen when PS2 is discontinued? Will SE do a major overhaul and recode every single expansion and move it up to a higher platform? Or let the game die and move on to 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Game probably barely costs them much upkeep with the sub fee they have and the staff they have supporting it. People will still play it years to come, look at other examples like EQ and Ultima Online. All you doomsday idiots need to seriously get lost and play your precious FFXIV. I'm sure a lot of us are tired of your silly delusions of FFXI dying just like it was dying 2 years ago when FFXIV first launched lol.
    Technology is not the same as it was 10 years ago and 10 years from now it will not be the same as now. So for those who think we are idiots, these are reasonable things to think about.

Was EQ & Ultimate online on a console? O.o
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.

There is no future for an upgrade. They would have to end service for the current consoles.
    That wont happen. Its been said before, that FFXIV was designed to replace this game.

Why would they just make another MMO if they already have a successful one that will continue past 2020?

Oh, and can you really see this game going places with no new players. As it is now, a lot of players have 2+ accounts, so when one person leaves they're taking two subscriptions away.
    (0)
    Last edited by BST; 06-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast