Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Vilhem
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Doesn't help when a 'new' MMO lifts a lot of enemy models directly from FFXI and just slaps a higher resolution texture onto it.

It's also a WoW-clone, which is the polar opposite of how XI plays in terms of deliberate pacing and XP grinding (forced group-play + safe camps vs. grinding 50 quests solo in a zone you can slaughter mobs in 3 seconds with zero fear of death), or at least used to prior to Abyssea giving everyone a taste for easy-mode.
    I like how you make it seem like SE using assets already in their library is some kind of sacrilege. Nothing wrong with reusing models.

And the "WoW-clone" remark has been made so often, against so many games, I start to wonder if its bitterness talking.

Yes XIV and today's STANDARD of MMO are polar opposites of XI, for one very good reason: XI is a 11 year old game, with standards that were very different back then. Why the hell would SE waste their time and money creating another game like XI, that is so unforgiving and time-consuming, to a market that is far more catering to a casual crowd than it was 11 years ago.

XI is a wonderful game, I spent 9 years on it, but after trying XIV's concepts, I realized just how much fun I could have at the fraction of the time it takes to do anything on XI. To say that XIV is "easy mode" is laughable. Each game has their own balance of ease and difficulty, the only difference is that the content doesn't take a million years to reap rewards. Remember, time spent does not equal difficulty. XIV has forced party content as well, just at lower levels, yes, you do solo, so that you can have a smooth transition into the game's mechanics and how things work. By level 15 you need a party to progress..so yeah.

I'm not sure why you're so quick to put it down. Is it because it seems to be garnering more attention than XI? I get it, to a lot of people its been a way of life for 10+ yrs, but to dismiss it like this is just silly. You don't have to play it, but you also don't have to drop negativity bombs in some kind of vain hope people will ignore it.

@Demon6324236 They don't use any of the XI music in XIV. What they do use is the usual FF series stuff, like Chocobo, crystal theme etc
    (3)

Character
    Kyqrieas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    @Demon6324236 They don't use any of the XI music in XIV. What they do use is the usual FF series stuff, like Chocobo, crystal theme etc
    I know what he means by the music, it's very different but somehow sounds the same. It's almost as if they've used exactly the same instruments but different compositions, to keep the feel of it being a Final Fantasy game. They're the same type of melodies but slightly altered. It's hard to explain because I've never studied music enough to explain it properly, but I do know I like it!
    (1)

I spent all day on ff14 on fri at 300am ish to saturday afternoon 4pm till I went to sleep. FF14 is awsome with a few flaws , but is still just a beta. got pugilist to lv16, conjuer lv8 and goldsmithing and weaving to lv 6, and it was fun. I know im going get character wipe after the next beta next week, so i did not waste time with the more advance stuff with the macros pages.

I been on ff11 from one month after the ps2 launch in NA and must say that ff14 is a true final fantasy game again.

First if you do play the beta you need to get to the airship pass so it opens up the rest of the world as fast as you can. The story is such a honor to all of the final fantasy franchises it crazy and there is some voice overs in the cutscenes. I know there many people that probally were never born when ff1 and so on were out. If you ever played all the other final fantasy games this is the real deal finally. I think that why they made it easy at first since many them never played a mmo before. You will even see characters names and stuff related to final fantasy 11 in the game.

Battle system is standard mmo play now , but as you progress it starts to gets much more complex. Were you will need to get your combos off so that you get the effects that they cause on your character.

Questing and the story mission so much more stream lined and do not got to spends hrs looking and following a wiki page. So that nice. It does early on really hold your hands , but some more advance quests, you need to read the quest, because it will not show you were you to go unless do so and so thing first.

One thing nice is all three the city you can do all the quest there like in ff11 ,but those quests give you a lot exp, once there done there are done. but you can choose do them for your main character or should you choose can do them for one of the sub jobs. that you want to use for the main character or just balance all the other jobs out, but once those all done then your back to the old ff11 grinding for xp to leveling jobs. rumor is if do all the quest can get a job to lv50. Then you be forced to have to grind exp for the other jobs. So all need to do is equip the weapon and change it to that job and turn the quest in, but some quests will have level restrictions. So if the job is to low unable to turn it in for that job.

It been a surprise how well they got ff14 going, after the ff14 1.0. Like my one buddy who had 6 jobs lv50 on the 1.0 side told me and my friends .said "The game is not even the same game anymore on 2.0 and much more fluid and even he was learning alot of the newer stuff on the game. And the entire story is different from when he played and he thought it was so cool on how they did the story so far".
    (2)
    Last edited by sc4500; 06-25-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

Character
    Alerith
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    They use a remix of the Final Fantasy II battle theme in one of the missions. It was very nicely done and I'm glad to see the guy who wrote the music for Final Fantasy II in 1990 is still writing and remixing his own work in 2013.
    (0)

I am seriously considering giving this a try and pre-ordering within the next 2 weeks (digital downloads are $50. Nice price there). I've tried all I could to keep believing in XI but catering exclusively to the BG crowd in Adoulin killed whatever hope I had left in the game. Hardly anyone does Abyssea NMs anymore, no one even does reives anymore. The game has tragically become a shell of what it was even 3 years ago.

I said it in my thread and I'll say it again: If S-E takes aspects from Guild Wars 2 and other modern MMOs that do away with the grindfest in favor of more dynamic play, XIV will be a sure-fire hit from launch. I'm very curious what SMN can do in Eorzea. I pray they aren't nearly as scared of overpowering the job there as they have been here. The last thing XIV needs are jobs that are needlessly underpowered.
    (1)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    Yeah I didn't notice any XI tracks, but like you said the series standards are there. I wanted to point out though that not only are they there, but they are redone magnificently.

For example, the character creator has a simply mesmerizing new version of the classic Prelude theme. It made a fabulous first impression on me as I was beginning the game. Also, the first really large solo quest at 14-17 with the high-quality CS and voice acting gives you airship access. The short airship take-off (every time you board) is not only visually stunning (I just kept riding back and forth to watch it!) but it plays a great version of the Pray theme.

I edited my last post because I mistakenly said I never listened to a FF song outside the game before this. That's completely wrong. What I meant was a track from XI. I listened to music outside of games for 1-10, 13 & 13-2, and now some excellent tracks from 14. They do have a FF feel to them like Jaall said, but there's something more grand to these. For better or worse, they almost remind me of epic themes from the old Superman movies, Star Wars and Disney
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Doesn't help when a 'new' MMO lifts a lot of enemy models directly from FFXI and just slaps a higher resolution texture onto it.

It's also a WoW-clone, which is the polar opposite of how XI plays in terms of deliberate pacing and XP grinding (forced group-play + safe camps vs. grinding 50 quests solo in a zone you can slaughter mobs in 3 seconds with zero fear of death), or at least used to prior to Abyssea giving everyone a taste for easy-mode.
    I have a hard time believing you actually played it. First, these aren't just higher res textures, the game is beautifully designed. When I'm taking screenshots, it's not because "there's lots of colors" or it's technically impressive, I'm taking them because they are artistically and creatively beautiful scenes. I can't think of anything from 9 years of XI I would describe that way. Maybe some parts of Sea and Sky, but in XIV I feel like I had access to the beauty of Sky the moment I started, and better at that. I can't imagine what lies ahead.

You can make the beginning of any game easy or hard. My nephew was complaining how easy it was in text before I signed on to beta and when I met up with him I'm watching the guy repeatedly stomp on mobs two levels below him for slow xp I proceeded later to show him just how difficult it could be by taking on mobs levels above us, watching for aggro and AOE spam, sleeping appropriately, etc. I had every opportunity to make difficult yet rewarding experience sessions in XIV as I did in XI. The only differences are we didn't need to rest (waste time), had hunting logs to follow that led us all over the map to a variety of mobs, and integrated tons of quests that offered a story and immersion element to simple mob grinding.

Speaking of challenge, the game does a great thing by recommending a minimum level for solo quests, then adding a cap so you can't do it more than a few levels higher than that minimum. People who want a challenge can attempt these at the lowest level and develop a strategy to win after dying one or more times. And these aren't "strategies" that involve ridiculous time requirements, random number generators and forced grouping. They're quite masterfully designed to require each job to use all of its skills to the fullest with good timing. People that don't want to bother with that and just want to see the story can level up a bit and have a much easier time of it.
    (2)

Player
    Mooooaaaaar pictures plz.... wow
    (1)

Character
    Nakts
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    "Now then, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn has adopted the quest form game design that was established by World of Warcraft." - Naoki_Yoshida

In fact if you're in the beta, that's on the forums, and it's not the only mention of copying WoW, so we can throw out the, "Not a WoW" defense now. That said the game is mediocre in every way, except the combat which is pure garbage.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakts View Post
    "Now then, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn has adopted the quest form game design that was established by World of Warcraft." - Naoki_Yoshida
    A system that works? Oh no!

In fact if you're in the beta, that's on the forums, and it's not the only mention of copying WoW, so we can throw out the, "Not a WoW" defense now. That said the game is mediocre in every way, except the combat which is pure garbage.
    Mediocre in every way? I disagree, I think if nothing else the Graphics are beyond incredible, are they everything to a game? No, its what I have seen, but still, not mediocre in the least.
    (2)

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast