Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    As a FFXI vet I have to say that XIV has very little in common with our game, there is really nothing that would make you feel "at home" as an XI player any more than you would get from GW2 or WoW..well aside from the races, which imo don't do justice to the originals anyway.

It has more in common with WoW and GW2 than FFXI. It does nothing better than any other mmo you can get on the market honestly. Graphics, combat, story, leveling, community are all better on various other games. I can't think of one single thing ARR has that can be said sets it above any other wow clone that you can play now.
    (0)

Character
    Vilhem
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Runespider View Post
    As a FFXI vet I have to say that XIV has very little in common with our game, there is really nothing that would make you feel "at home" as an XI player any more than you would get from GW2 or WoW..well aside from the races, which imo don't do justice to the originals anyway.

It has more in common with WoW and GW2 than FFXI. It does nothing better than any other mmo you can get on the market honestly. Graphics, combat, story, leveling, community are all better on various other games. I can't think of one single thing ARR has that can be said sets it above any other wow clone that you can play now.
    I see "WoW clone" and immediately stop taking you seriously. Lol. Did you play for 5 min and ragequit cause it wasn't exactly like XI?

There is plenty to make people feel at home, if they are open-minded to begin with. The "WoW clone" is simply what the MMO standards are today. Switch XIV and XI, and I'm sure you'd be screaming "EQ CLONE EWW".

What you fail to realize is that all games, and all creative works for that matter, always take some kind of influences from other sources. Rock bands frequently mention Kiss and the Beatles and the Rolling Stones as inspiration. Does that mean these newer bands suck? No. They draw inspiration from earlier works, but still maintain their own style.

XI certainly didn't invent the wheel, sorry to burst your bubble. It took a lot of influences from the games of its time, specifically Everquest. Why is it okay for XI to be an "EQ clone" but heaven forbid XIV be a "WoW clone"? Double standard much?

I get it, you love XI. I do too. I come back to it periodically, even though my prime has passed and I no longer can play like I used to. XI's current problems concern me just like they concern you, especially coming from a casual player's point of view.

Does that mean, then, that being bitter about XIV will make XI all rainbows and sunshine again? No. Snubbing your nose at it in some kind of attempt to be "loyal" to XI really serves no purpose other than make you look immature and bitter.

Nobody says you have to play it, and not everyone will like it. These things I understand. But when you make comments with no basis other than "its a WoW clone", then well, you're not going to win any sympathy.
    (3)

You say you don't take me seriously then write a long post in reply to me.

The reason WoW clone is bad is because every single mmo that comes out is the same thing, and they all force you to do the same thing. Quest based leveling, instanced content, boring combat mashing keys on cd. That's why it's bad, because it's a carbon copy of every other mmo that we have played offering something we already got bored of in WoW/Rift/Swtor. At least when they gave us FFXI it was offering something that hadn't really been done to death or that was new to many of us.

WoW clone.

Quest based leveling, this isn't FFXI where you make groups to kill mobs to level. I've done these quests in XIV and they're the same boring thing I did in WoW, Rift...etc They are boring kill count quests. This alone makes XIV alien to XI players, you won't be making groups to kill monsters to level and make friends.
    Very solo and casual friendly game.
    Majority instanced based content. Only open world content XIV has or will ever have (as stated by Yoshi) is fates which honestly are horribly boring after you do a few. Fates are copied from Gw2 and it got boring there too after you do it a few times.
    Combat based on spamming keys on a global (lol) cooldown.
    Instance matching to pair you up with other random people you don't have to talk to.

Sounds like a WoW clone to me.

The guy in charge even said they looked to WoW, GW2 and SWTOR to lead them in redesigning the game just as they did with everquest to design XI. I understand you are probably an XIV fan posting here to try and drum up excitement for your game of choice but it doesn't change the fact it is what it is.
    (0)

Character
    Alerith
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    You say you don't take me seriously then write a long post in reply to me.

The reason WoW clone is bad is because every single mmo that comes out is the same thing, and they all force you to do the same thing. Quest based leveling, instanced content, boring combat mashing keys on cd. That's why it's bad, because it's a carbon copy of every other mmo that we have played offering something we already got bored of in WoW/Rift/Swtor. At least when they gave us FFXI it was offering something that hadn't really been done to death or that was new to many of us.

WoW clone.

Quest based leveling, this isn't FFXI where you make groups to kill mobs to level. I've done these quests in XIV and they're the same boring thing I did in WoW, Rift...etc They are boring kill count quests. This alone makes XIV alien to XI players, you won't be making groups to kill monsters to level and make friends.
    Very solo and casual friendly game.
    Majority instanced based content. Only open world content XIV has or will ever have (as stated by Yoshi) is fates which honestly are horribly boring after you do a few. Fates are copied from Gw2 and it got boring there too after you do it a few times.
    Combat based on spamming keys on a global (lol) cooldown.
    Instance matching to pair you up with other random people you don't have to talk to.

Sounds like a WoW clone to me.

The guy in charge even said they looked to WoW, GW2 and SWTOR to lead them in redesigning the game just as they did with everquest to design XI. I understand you are probably an XIV fan posting here to try and drum up excitement for your game of choice but it doesn't change the fact it is what it is.
    So they take the best systems from a variety of games and put it into a Final Fantasy MMORPG.

Cool, I'm sold.

See, for me at least, it doesn't need anything innovative to be good. It doesn't need some gimmick the marketing team plays on to try and sell it as some unique special snowflake. It's a fun and functional game set in a Final Fantasy universe. That's all I want out of it and that's all I expect.

Everybody acts like every MMO that comes out needs to reinvent the genre, and I say that's bullshit. Play a game because it's fun, it has a setting you like and it has systems that work.
    (8)

Character
    Aldebaron
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    they've combined a great Quest/Dungeon MMO with Real Time Action Events, with the story, graphics, and Lore of a FF game. Housing will be something that's VERY reminiscent of FFXI for me of FFXI Mog Houses, but they've taken it to the 100th level.

Not to mention Limit breaks
    Chocobo Buddies you summon like NPC from XI
    Materia
    Avatar fights like in XI (but way better)

What's not to love?
    (8)

If you are fine with playing a bland carbon copy of every other mmo then maybe it is for you, it doesn't really seem to have any soul to the game honestly, it's like something a room full of suits put together by copying stuff from other companies that put more though into their games. There is nothing unique or exciting in XIV at all and that is one of the major reasons you will log into it and just rush to cap for "endgame". You won't make a group to level with and make friends, you'ill do boring quest after boring quest and do instanced dungeons when the cross server matcher finally makes the group for you. You won't get the vast array of different content XI had and you won't get the community built out of party based leveling.

For me I want something unique in a new mmo that will make the massive investment of my time and money worthwhile, the majority of MMO players are really not easy to satisfy these days (look at the massive player drop in Gw2) because they've seen this "ingredients to make an mmo" over and over again and with a game that cost as much to create as XIV did being bland and unoriginal as it is not going to ensure it gets the large long-term following it needs.

XIV has nice graphics which don't really beat what's out there now or have the charm of XI imo (and certainly not the newer games coming out soon) it has nothing from XI which made it great and it simply copies the norm of every other newer mmo. Maybe you think that's the key to success? Offer a product totally unlike the previous one that was successfull and offer a bland copy of every other new mmo that failed to beat the product it was based on.

If as a XI player you are looking to get into XIV thinking you will be playing something very much like XI but prettier you will be sorely dissapointed. XIV is nothing like XI at all, it's as far away from it as you can get without paying a sub to Blizzard. If you are on the fence just go and play the beta for free, actually playing the game does far more than looking at some pretty pictures that tell you nothing about the game.
    (1)
    Last edited by Runespider; 07-02-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Character
    Uberlee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    There is nothing unique or exciting in XIV at all and that is one of the major reasons you will log into it and just rush to cap for "endgame". You won't make a group to level with and make friends, you'ill do boring quest after boring quest and do instanced dungeons when the cross server matcher finally makes the group for you. You won't get the vast array of different content XI had and you won't get the community built out of party based leveling.
    Let's look at XI, before any expansions, because why is it ok to compare a game with 11 years worth of updates, with a game that people have only seen beta content up to level 25. When XI released you didn't have all the things like Sea and Sky that old XI players always fall back on when asked what made the game so great, you had 50 levels of boring quests and the main story missions. If you think the quests in XIV are boring, because they are go fetch this, or go kill these, that is what the XI quests were, how did you raise your Bastok fame, get a fish, kill a crab, turn in an item, over and over and over again. So all you have left is party based leveling, something XI itself eventually ended up weeding out. The design of XIV is made to make it easy for newcomers to MMO's to learn and progress. It is designed so that years down the road, if someone new to the game picks it up, they will be able to progress through the game at a decent pace, even though there might not be alot of people their level around. This is one of the things that is killing XI now, the gap between new and old players, new and returning players aren't sticking with the game, because it simply takes too much time to get caught up, and there aren't enough players around willing to help do the content that takes groups to do. And if you think players in XI don't rush to the endgame, let's have a look at this last little bit of content, there were some flaws when it was first released, that allowed players to basically exploit the KI bosses, taking hours to kill them by just blindly throwing bodies at them and teleporting back. Once this issue was fixed with the time limit, people didn't go back and do Skirmish, they just farmed plasm, they used an exploit to skip an entire tier of endgame content, I know this was an oversight by the devs, but it shows that maybe the community in XI is all about rushing to endgame, something you say they won't enjoy doing in XIV.

The duty finder, what is so bad about that, instead of standing in one city shouting for hours to find enough people to fill your delve party, you just que up, and you can go out and gather, craft, farm, whatever until it places you into a group, from a much larger pool of people than just your server, making it easier to group. One thing that it doesn't do, is give the person making the group the ability to screen the people, you don't have R/M/E/D, you aren't welcome here, but if you want to be that kind of d-bag, then you can stand in town and shout if you want, that is called an option.

As far as a battle system, there really isn't much else you can do out there, either hot bars, or menus, XIV went with hotbars, big deal, that doesn't make it a WoW clone. I agree, if you don't know if you want to play it, go try the beta, it isn't XI-2, and there are lots of people that think that is a good thing.
    (6)
    Last edited by Vizzer; 07-02-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Character
    Vilhem
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Waste of a good post It's just more bitterness, like XI was some special snowflake when it came out. This is the same person that wanted F2P after all.
    (3)

Player
    I thought xi was a snowflake compared to other games... still do.... even compared to xiv... what makes the game is it's uniqueness... now i haven't played xiv, but it seems like they got to finally making a game that actually helps you complete the game for completions sake while also adding challenges and a way of fighting that is unique to ffxi albeit tweaked a little to introduce it to modern mmo.... they still allow you to auto attack... and instead of writing macros you now have a convenient hotbar which is customized to using a controller or pc...

will i drop ffxi for xiv? no because i still have alot to do on xi..... while i try it out? eventually...
    (1)

Character
    Finuve
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I'm pretty sure the words "MMO Standards" are the reason this genre has become so boring and stale
    (2)

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast