Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Player
    All right! Lots of <3 to the 3 people who hit "Like"
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    I understand what you mean. Well, on melee jobs anyway. On the other hand, THM early levels I found incredibly engaging. Much more so than BLM 1-20 in XI by miles. You still have to be concerned about MP and drop your dps considerably when recovering, but you can remain active. A couple early abilities add a nice bit of thought to soloing if you care to try some mobs a bit above your level too, which was very fun for me.

When I switched to pugilist and lancer, that's where it just felt spammy. However, I had to keep in mind that these are early levels and they probably didn't put as much thought into those early soloing levels on every class. But, on the three classes I got to 10-15, I still found the job-specific quests well designed, requiring smart use of all the jobs' abilities in addition to food and items. I'm not yet balancing a queue of 10 pending actions that change with the situation like I do on SCH 99, but for early levels I was impressed. Overall. I really like that every job can always be active, and not just reactive or afk.

Also, DoT spell potency was increased recently, right before last weekend's beta period. I noticed a nice difference with aero and thunder.
    2 ice spell casts in a row gives you umbril ice effect, which massively increases your MP refresh rate. Using the ability (forgot the name) that shifts Astral Fire <> Umbril Ice allows you to empty your mp pool blasting out fire spells, then quickly regenerate it in moments.

I was able to sub the cure spell in on THM and maintain DPS as well as main heal some of the lower tier dungeons. But hell, no strategy there I suppose.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SqEnisfilledwithgeniuses View Post
    2 ice spell casts in a row gives you umbril ice effect, which massively increases your MP refresh rate. Using the ability (forgot the name) that shifts Astral Fire <> Umbril Ice allows you to empty your mp pool blasting out fire spells, then quickly regenerate it in moments.

I was able to sub the cure spell in on THM and maintain DPS as well as main heal some of the lower tier dungeons. But hell, no strategy there I suppose.
    Yeah that's what I was talking about. My point isn't that there's massive strategy there. It's that I managed a few different things (sleep, effective THM curing with the CNJ ability that swaps MND<->INT and MP recovery), and could stay active while doing it, all in a very low level mobile partying atmosphere. My comparison is stationary 10-20 leveling parties on BLM, which were: rest half the fight and throw out a few nukes and a DoT or two. I don't know how the highest levels available now in XIV compare to XI, but I was happy with the low levels on that class compared to XI.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    Yeah that's what I was talking about. My point isn't that there's massive strategy there. It's that I managed a few different things (sleep, effective THM curing with the CNJ ability that swaps MND<->INT and MP recovery), and could stay active while doing it, all in a very low level mobile partying atmosphere. My comparison is stationary 10-20 leveling parties on BLM, which were: rest half the fight and throw out a few nukes and a DoT or two. I don't know how the highest levels available now in XIV compare to XI, but I was happy with the low levels on that class compared to XI.
    I agree entirely. The BLM job throughout 1-99 was fairly disappointing to me, as much as SAM was. There are only a few jobs in XI that even require strategy anymore, for the most part people don't even want that.

I'm looking forward to FFXIV. Also, myself and 5 others I know will be taking residence on the Ragnarok server. The more the merrier.
    (0)

Player
    I agree entirely. The BLM job throughout 1-99 was fairly disappointing to me, as much as SAM was. There are only a few jobs in XI that even require strategy anymore, for the most part people don't even want that.

I'm looking forward to FFXIV. Also, myself and 5 others I know will be taking residence on the Ragnarok server. The more the merrier.
    Because ever so many people complained to SE that exping took forever, so they gave the people what they wanted "Level to 99 in half a day, Grind and gangbang as 18 man groups on level 15 skeleton in Gusgen mines, no more strategy or skill (wait... Does it really take 18 people to kill a level 15 skeleton?), just endless grinding" and now look at the game. Nothing but grind grind grind in 18 man alliances.

Balance??? I don't know what that word means..
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-26-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Let's be honest though... Not much battle strategy in "Ok, we're going to go EXP in ToAU. We'll need a rdm, a brd, and 4x sams! Let's dewit!"

Abyssea wasn't the first step, but it didn't help the cause any.
    (2)

Player
    Let's be honest though... Not much battle strategy in "Ok, we're going to go EXP in ToAU. We'll need a rdm, a brd, and 4x sams! Let's dewit!"

Abyssea wasn't the first step, but it didn't help the cause any.
    Lol yeah been so long I can't remember when the game started to turn for the worse. There's just so many things dating back to prehistorical times.... Exping fast I understand, leveling to 99 in less than half a day killed AH gears and several other things.

But you gotta admit, getting to know people in a 6 man group was more personal than getting to know people in 18 man group with everyone spread out on the map killing stuff.

To me it felt like FFXI Rush Online when I came back last year.
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Lol yeah been so long I can't remember when the game started to turn for the worse. There's just so many things dating back to prehistorical times.... Exping fast I understand, leveling to 99 in less than half a day killed AH gears and several other things.

But you gotta admit, getting to know people in a 6 man group was more personal than getting to know people in 18 man group with everyone spread out on the map killing stuff.

To me it felt like FFXI Rush Online when I came back last year.
    When they were doing the Double exp campaigns, I actually formed old 6man groups and exp'd the old fashioned way.

Quifim Island
    Saur Champ
    Garlaige
    etc.

It was a blast.
    (2)

My first impressions were less than excited... But now. I'm really happy with what I've seen and I am FEVERISHLY seeking to get into my very first beta ever. I never understood why a friend played Everquest so much until I tried FFXI. I've enjoyed the massive amount of time I've spent in Vana'diel and the stories I've got to see. Understanding the world and drawing the lines between the dots that connect these events and quests to those missions and quests. While I am less fond of the names of the races in FFXIV, the customization of characters is AWESOME!! Even the Avatars (Primals?) look amazing!!! So going from one summoner to the next will be my goal. And hopefully continuing my legacy in the next realm.
    (1)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Down the road, in the future, it is only a matter of time before new Job/Classes will find there way into XIV.
    The customization of characters is really good, it really shows how 1.0 was to limited. And in the future they talk of plans to introduce new hair styles.
    (0)

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast