Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Petrify and Stun do not Co-exist?

'eyo there. I'm not sure this is a bug, but I have not encountered this issue before and thought I'd bring it up in the event that it was. At the moment, the issue is this: Stun and Petrify status effects cannot both be on a monster at the same time. I have tested this a small number of times and been baffled. Essentially, if a monster was stunned, Break would give a no effect message. I discovered this while I was fighting Umbrils on BLM in Cirdas Cavern; at one point, I stunned one to get Break on, but as Break landed, I got a no effect message. Right after that, stun wore off. I've never had an issue with Break in the past (if I did, it'd just be of the resist variety rather than no effect). I'm not sure if this is an intentional game feature, but it seems odd that two unrelated status ailments would not be able to stick with one another. Even considering the elements does nothing - with Stun being a thunder-type debuff and Break being earth-type, the latter should override it due to superiority of elements or something. I can't make heads or tails of this.

Platform: PC
    ISP: Windstream
    Type of Internet Connection: Wireless
    Internet Connection Speed: 3.97 mb/s
    Date & Time: June 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM EST
    Frequency: Repeatedly
    Character Name: Kensagaku
    Race: Hume M
    World: Valefor
    Main Job: Black Mage
    Support Job: Red Mage
    Area and Coordinates: Cirdas Cavern (H-3)
    Party or Solo: Solo
    NPC Name: N/A
    Monster Name: Livid Umbril
    Steps:
    1. Pulled Livid Umbril using Gravity. Used Fire V -> Firaja -> Fire III to kill them in order to farm Umbril Oozes along with building my Merit Points back up on the side. (General Steps for fighting)
    2. On problematic pulls, or resisted spells - Cast Break if far away, cast Stun if too close. In this instance, cast Stun, then stepped away to cast Break. Stun landed, and the Umbril remained stunned for 3-4 seconds. It was still stunned when Break was cast, resulting in a "No effect" message.
    3. Attempted to replicate this issue and found the same problem. Cast Gravity, then Stun, then Break; if the target was stunned when Break was cast, then Break had no effect.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Break in effect is a stun, otherwise Elemental Affinity should apply.... Wind > Earth > Thunder...

So naturally, both should not be up at the same time (unless one's potency is strong enough to otherwise overwrite the effect).

Also, in the notes on the spells:
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Break
    ■Will not take effect if the target is stunned; the reverse is also true.
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Stun
    ■Will not take effect if the target is petrified; the reverse is also true.
    In your situation, Bind would likely be a better spell to use for your second cast. This way, you buy time to get away from it's physicals, and for the stun to wear so you can stick the Break (or vice versa).
    (0)
    Last edited by RAIST; 06-12-2013 at 04:49 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Yes Raist. But is it a bug, or by design? I think that's the real point of the thread .
    (0)

I don't know for certain, but I would hazard a guess that it had already been reported to SE shortly after it was given to us back in 2010, or at least when it was documented on the wiki's to behave this way (09/10/2010, http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Br...&oldid=1191561).

The point is that it's been known/documented to behave this way for almost 3 years now, and most who had been actively using it the last couple years already figured out how to avoid the scenario in question a long time ago.
    (0)
    Last edited by RAIST; 06-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

It wouldn't be the first time a bug went 3 years without being fixed by SE
    (0)

Hello!

I'll go ahead and submit your information for further testing. Any changes, news or updates regarding this matter will either be made directly to this post, or on www.PlayOnline.com and official FFXI forums. Thank you again!

SQUARE ENIX MODERATOR
    (0)