Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Randwolf
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Skill-Ups In Events

It's time to return the ability to skill up back into events.

Currently, one of my biggest tasks in the game is to skill-up. Although, some of the skill-up rates are already abysmal, it would be nice if there at least existed a chance of getting a skill-up doing something other than standing around casting magic on myself, letting mobs beat on me over and over for defensive skills, or using two handed-weapons on EP mobs in Abyssea.

I'm not sure why it seems beyond S/E to have things like Twisted Roots and Fortifications NOT give skill-ups, but to allow the mobs to give skill-ups at their appropriate levels.
    (11)
    Last edited by Randwolf; 04-29-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Meant Skill-up instead of EXP
    All Jobs 99
    GS 54, BS 50, Alch 60, Bone 57, WW 60, Cloth 53, Cook 60, LC 60, Fish 51
    Playing Since NA PS2 Release

Player
    I think having to skill up for a handful of hours beats the extra days we used to have to spend playing the "How many incompetent people are going to be in this group and slow us down" lottery in pick up EXP groups.
    (3)

Character
    Randwolf
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfchakan View Post
    I think having to skill up for a handful of hours beats the extra days we used to have to spend playing the "How many incompetent people are going to be in this group and slow us down" lottery in pick up EXP groups.
    Have you tried to skill-up enhancing magic, summoning skill, 2 handed weapons, guard, parry, shield? They did fix the defensive skills, a little. But, it would be nice if you could spend time in activities, like Rieves, and actually be improving your skills too.
    (2)
    All Jobs 99
    GS 54, BS 50, Alch 60, Bone 57, WW 60, Cloth 53, Cook 60, LC 60, Fish 51
    Playing Since NA PS2 Release

Player
    Guard, parry and shield skill very swiftly now. Enhancing isn't too terrible, just terribly boring.

Summoning is the oddball. You need to spam BPs to skill it quicker and that's on a single timer. Yuck.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    two timers, actually. But still slow.
    (1)

In my experience with conversations about it in LS chat (both before and after tweaks to the process), it seems to be more an issue with people basically not doing it right.

Most the time it boils down to how one is trying to skill up. It does go a lot faster now if you are able to take advantage of things like the martial master kupower (remember to trigger the latent properly) and now Ionus as well. Methods and targets do matter. As an example, I went to smack butterflies last week in the hopes of getting skillups to guard on MNK like my friend was getting on PUP--but I was on MNK and my skill was at a much lower character level cap, so it wasn't going so hot. Went to Dangruf instead (Martial Mastery was up) and fired off about 30 points of skill for just a few hours of work--against targets that were more appropriate levels.

That's something that always baffled me....how people will continue to keep doing the same thing that obviously is NOT working well, and are unwilling to try something different.
    (4)
    Last edited by RAIST; 04-29-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Amaroq
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I usually find leveling up Weapon skills is a good excuse to farm. Im assuming you can do the same for MP based skills...

...that said, a double skill-up day every so often wouldnt hurt ^_____^
    (0)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    " martial master kupower (remember to trigger the latent properly)"

latent? what is the latent trigger on martial master? the only thing i can think of is having signet?

I cant be positive but i think summonin skillups will come faster usin offensive pacts on NMs and stuff in abyssea or wherever u can find high level mobs, maybe big worms in gustav too? I capped mine a while back just soloin iron giants for example.
    (0)

Character
    Minikomby
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Skill ups on colonization should be nice, you lost exp there and you dont gain skill ups, this is very deferent to campaing battle where you dont lost when ppl died, adding skill ups on colonization should be nice.
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfchakan View Post
    The issue here is that after 250, you literally just stop getting skill ups. I have several jobs I've been working on skilling for the past weeks. It would be fine if it took forever to skill up while doing things with a bunch of ACC added, but if I want to do reives on a job with less than 300 skill I both have to sacrifice damage AND I get no skill ups for it. I don't want them to increase the rates, but allowing skill ups in events would be nice so I don't have to spend ALL of my time logged on in old zones semi-AFKing against EP-DC mobs that couldn't kill me if I left the room. (And hell, a lot of the time, I do.)
    (2)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast