Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Well, in this case, the ingame item is a bonus that came with a real life item
    Right, but the ingame item should not be exclusive only to those who bought the real item. Its like pre-order promotions and such, you buy something from a special place or buy a special item and you get extra things in a game that can be acquired no other way, in my opinion, total BS. Items in a game should be able to be gotten either way, now if it was an item which you could get normally via a quest or something, and they gave it away still when you buy something, different story. I'm sick of games having restricted content because you didn't buy something, like the satchel, or in this case, the Talisman, both of which are highly useful for utility, one for space, the other for transportation, and the latter was out when traveling was still a pain.

I understand what you are getting at, and to a point if its only visual, I agree, but things with real effects, I disagree. When a game gives you a free 'skin' for a pre-order, I'm ok, if this was a level 1 shield with 0 defense that had some cute design on it that was purely for decoration, that would be ok, but items with real effects and abilities, not so much.
    (2)

Character
    Kojo
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I don't really use my in-game talisman, only very rarely. I use my IRL talisman all the time, I save gas by teleporting to the grocery store, problem is I have to walk home because of the long cooldown. SE you should reduce cooldown on Tidal Talisman, I have a bad back.
    (9)
    Last edited by Kojo; 04-14-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes, iPhone keyboard sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Can you imagine waking up each morning knowing that you would have to wrestle a man-sized radish to death in order to eat?
    Sorry, had to.

Player
    Being someone who purchased one I recieved a number with my item.... it is a limited collector's item.. printing more would only devalue the price of my necklace which I plan on passing on to my children.. people these days are so out of touch with why this necklace was a limited issue... It's not because of the in-game item we got (which was added because of the release of the player's collection), it's not because the piece of jewelry celebrated the first piece released of the players collection. It's because it was apart of the player collection accesories. the in-game item has no real value outside of a 24 hour tele to jeuno or kazham or from ahty to the marsh place.. forgot the name... and that's for everyone in your party... each person has to have visited the place (meaning they can get there just like me.. many more times actualy during my 24 hour wait) so it's not like I'm op'ing anything with it and it can only be collected once...

My only question to you is why? Why do you want this item re-released? It's a limited edition I'm sure they will release more as they have done so in the past before. Just be patient and your chance will come lol...
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Right, but the ingame item should not be exclusive only to those who bought the real item. Its like pre-order promotions and such, you buy something from a special place or buy a special item and you get extra things in a game that can be acquired no other way, in my opinion, total BS. Items in a game should be able to be gotten either way, now if it was an item which you could get normally via a quest or something, and they gave it away still when you buy something, different story. I'm sick of games having restricted content because you didn't buy something, like the satchel, or in this case, the Talisman, both of which are highly useful for utility, one for space, the other for transportation, and the latter was out when traveling was still a pain.

I understand what you are getting at, and to a point if its only visual, I agree, but things with real effects, I disagree. When a game gives you a free 'skin' for a pre-order, I'm ok, if this was a level 1 shield with 0 defense that had some cute design on it that was purely for decoration, that would be ok, but items with real effects and abilities, not so much.
    What if someone loses their real life necklace? This also wasn't like a pre-order item.. they announced it's release said there was an order peoriod. you placed an order. when time was up on order taking SE made and numbered each necklace then shiped them out. i fail to see where any pre-ordering was done. they surely didn't make any back stock and they didn't do a midnight release or continued selling it.

They also weren't celebrating anything outside of the release of the FFXI player's collection. which is a line of accesories. The ingame item was added to celebrate it being the first item in the line.
    (1)
    Last edited by Umichi; 04-15-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    alot of those games with preorder DLC have wised up and started calling them "early access to..." I noticed alot of games releasing the exclusive DLC later like that, then change the wording to the above and was thinkin "hmm that was smart of them." I am glad they release the stuff later as alot of these games stopped having ONE preorder bonus DLC, they started having different DLC for where you bought it from. Like you bought it from wal mart so you get a fancy new helmet, but your friend got it from gamestop so he got nice shoulder pads. I really dislike this practice, with 7 different preorder bonuses.
    (1)

Player
    My point was I do not mind things like that which are simply visual, I rather dislike things like that which are statistically relevant, in this case, the warps are actually nice.
    (2)

Player
    but not statistically relevant... it's a 24 hour warp.

alot of those games with preorder DLC have wised up and started calling them "early access to..." I noticed alot of games releasing the exclusive DLC later like that, then change the wording to the above and was thinkin "hmm that was smart of them." I am glad they release the stuff later as alot of these games stopped having ONE preorder bonus DLC, they started having different DLC for where you bought it from. Like you bought it from wal mart so you get a fancy new helmet, but your friend got it from gamestop so he got nice shoulder pads. I really dislike this practice, with 7 different preorder bonuses.
    your still fixating on the pre-order thing.. this item wasn't related to any ingame event or anything to do with the game outside of Leviathan and the game as a whole story wise and community wise. it was related to a RL event with an in-game item attached to it. japanese cultures haves these very often and we were actually fortunate SE offered it to us as they could have kept it purely for jp only as many companies do. take monster hunter for example. much of their merchandise is jp onry.

None the less this item wasn't celebrating anything in relation to the game outside of name. so try not to compare the 50 dollar piece of jewelry to something that comes with the in-game item... i didn't buy the in-game item. I also didn't buy anything in relation to FFXI as a game. I bought a piece of merchandise from the FFXI series.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Right, but the ingame item should not be exclusive only to those who bought the real item.
    Why is it ok for not ingame items to be exlcusive but ingame items it's not OK?

I see no good reason for a distinction to be made.

The ingame item was sspecifically offered as a reward for making the purhcase. It's no different than a free toy being offered with a happy meal. You buy the product to get the item. Mankind has been doing promotions like this for centuries.

The tidal talisman ingame item is associated with the tidal talisman real life item. It doesn't even make sense to offer the ingame item by any other means other than with the tidal talisman real life item

Don't even try to argue the ingame item gives you an advantage. It doesn't do anything that isn't already easily accomplished by another method and has no combat use. The item is not statistically relevant- it gives no stats and the warp is insignificant. You're just jealous of people who have the item because you didn't get one.

I would personally be very pissed if the items I got from my FFXIV collectors edition became available to anyone else later on. The items are bordeline useless, they're just shinies that let people know you bought the collector's edition.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-15-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Player
    My reasoning is because in a game world every item should be able to be accessed by every player from within the game itself, no outside action should need to be taken unless it is something like an expansion, a large mass of content, not a single item. I myself see a difference between things like this, perhaps I am simply seeing things, but if I am, I know many others who have the same bad eyesight.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    My reasoning is because in a game world every item should be able to be accessed by every player from within the game itself, no outside action should need to be taken unless it is something like an expansion, a large mass of content, not a single item. I myself see a difference between things like this, perhaps I am simply seeing things, but if I am, I know many others who have the same bad eyesight.
    You're welcome to your opinion, but I can't agree. There's no better/worse reason for an exlcusive ingame item to be exlcusive than an exlcusive trinket / goody in a collectors edition or bonus offer.

The ingame item is nothing more than a trinket. It's existence and ownership by a small number of players has no positive or negative impact on balance.

Now, if the item actually did something really powerful, like made you invulnerable or do a lot of damage or whatever, then it wouldn't be acceptable to be a bonus reward item. SE knows this and purposely made it so that the items effects are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

League of Legends has offered many exclusive skins over the years- only available for a limited time or given out at events. Generally speaking these skins don't become available again. Sometimes they do a limited re-release, but not always. The skins they give out at PAX are given out every year, but there's still no way to get them other than to go to pax or get a code from someone else who went there. They're also just skins and have no gameplay effect at all.

TL;DR there is nothing wrong with limited time and bonus ingame item offers as promotions.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-15-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast