Player

FFXI Main Menu Flyby not random enough (PC)

Platform:
    Windows XP

ISP:
    Storm

Type of Internet Connection:
    Wireless

Internet Connection Speed:
    3Mbit/s

Date & Time:
    Any time

Frequency:
    1. Always

Character Name:
    Kaisha

Race:
    Mithra

World:
    Asura

Main Job:
    99BLU

Support Job:
    49WAR

Area and Coordinates:
    Not applicable

Party or Solo:
    Not applicable

NPC Name:
    Not applicable

Monster Name:
    Not applicable

Steps:
    1) Load up FFXI from Playonline
    2) Watch North Gustaberg fly-by for the millionth time

Pet peeve of mine. Happens to me regardless of which PC I use, across multiple operating systems (XP, 7, 8). First area to appear when loading up the main menu is always North Gustaberg, followed by Valkurm Dunes after character select.

This isn't the case on the Playstation 2 where it picks whatever fly-by enabled zone it feels like on a cold startup. Unable to comment on Xbox 360, unless someone else can speak on that matter.
    (3)

Character
    Fynlar
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Pet peeve of mine:

People posting in a "in-game bug" forum about things that clearly aren't in-game or bugs, nor are even particularly big deals
    (4)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynlar View Post
    Pet peeve of mine:

People posting in a "in-game bug" forum about things that clearly aren't in-game
    It is a bug within the FFXI executable. It's not a website issue, an issue with the community, or even an issue in the POL Viewer. Hell, we're talking about the title screen, which clearly announces itself as "FINAL FANTASY XI." It's "in-game" for any meaningful definition of the term.

Seriously, where exactly are you drawing the line?
    (3)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Player
    Still not a bug.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoraeon View Post
    Still not a bug.
    In a world where it took S-E 8+ years to announce that pet death aggro was, in fact, a bug, how can you be sure?
    (2)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

Player
    Bug: a defect or imperfection, as in a mechanical device, computer program, or plan; glitch
    The game was programmed that way. It is not a bug, but a lack of in depth programming on the opening screen. Maybe they did not want to include too many zones to prevent spoilers.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoraeon View Post
    Bug: a defect or imperfection, as in a mechanical device, computer program, or plan; glitch
    The game was programmed that way. It is not a bug, but a lack of in depth programming on the opening screen.
    What is this I don't even...

Maybe they did not want to include too many zones to prevent spoilers.
    Yeah, that's why they don't include Ru'Aun Gardens and Al'Taieu in the list of areas displayed! Oh, wait...

But thank you for inspiring me to dig up this thread from last year, which points out that this little problem doesn't happen on the PS2. Otherwise, you obviously have nothing useful or meaningful to contribute.
    (1)

Player
    I already pointed out it's not an issue on PS2 on my original post, but never hurts to have other sources, as well as someone in that thread claiming the bug is present on 360 also.

Whatever method they're using to fetch a random number is returning the same results on the PC/360 builds on start-up. It's a bug.
    (1)

Greetings Kaisha,

Thank you for filling out the template and bringing this to our attention. I have made sure to submit your information to the development team, and they will make sure to thoroughly investigate this matter, based on your report. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that a direct response will be posted on this thread, but I do recommend consulting http://www.PlayOnline.com or http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/fo...ersion-Updates for any details about the development team's investigation. Thanks again for your report!

GM Bublex
    (0)