Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96
    Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Just be happy SE hasn't updated RME's yet. You want to wait until after the nest wave of Delve content so that RME's will be on par with that rather then them being left behind.

Tanaka had one vision of this game and it was a rather static one, hence the years of horizontal upgrades. It involved pouring untold hours into a system that involved heavy RNG rewards as a way to keep you paying sub fee's. That worked back when there wasn't much competition on the MMO market. Now the market is flooded with games and companies are constantly working out new ways to attract and keep player attention. It means SE needs to alter it's experience in order to attract new players and keep the current ones from jumping ship. This is what Matsui is in the process of doing. It's a giant reset button being pushed and it's going to be really hard.

SE needs to advertise FFXI now and create a system while "new" players start at level 75~90 with all the old "prerequisite" missions completed. Stuff like Sky / Sea access and all that. Currently a new player has entirely too much "old crap" they need to wade through to play with everyone else, this makes them get bored and severely limits your new subscriptions.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Pretre
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    ahh well GTA V soon if no R/E/M by then atleast I have new time drain
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    Just be happy SE hasn't updated RME's yet. You want to wait until after the nest wave of Delve content so that RME's will be on par with that rather then them being left behind.

Tanaka had one vision of this game and it was a rather static one, hence the years of horizontal upgrades. It involved pouring untold hours into a system that involved heavy RNG rewards as a way to keep you paying sub fee's. That worked back when there wasn't much competition on the MMO market. Now the market is flooded with games and companies are constantly working out new ways to attract and keep player attention. It means SE needs to alter it's experience in order to attract new players and keep the current ones from jumping ship. This is what Matsui is in the process of doing. It's a giant reset button being pushed and it's going to be really hard.

SE needs to advertise FFXI now and create a system while "new" players start at level 75~90 with all the old "prerequisite" missions completed. Stuff like Sky / Sea access and all that. Currently a new player has entirely too much "old crap" they need to wade through to play with everyone else, this makes them get bored and severely limits your new subscriptions.
    If you look at it from a negative point of view then yeah. However the way I see it, Tanaka implemented a system that allow players who are ready for REM to set a pace and accomplish earning these items.

Unlike Delve where everyone can hop on the cookie train before it crumbles, REM separated the non casuals, casuals from the serious players. Or those who were at the moment in the game able to dedicate time to such a task.

Because of that everyone focused attention based on the peogession level of the player.

Rather than make all other content irrelevant or direct everyone's attention to 1 event, you had a choice.

VW and Delve takes that away and directs everyone's attention to that and speed progressing this content is unavoidable than REM.

By the way gaming industry is losing business to smartphones, rather than buy new consoles and pay $10-$100 per game. $99 cents for a quickie is what more adults are leaning to.

I've seen kids walking on the street with iPhones as if these are toys... Sad really..
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 08-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post

I disagree.. the old system is just as hard to progress on your own and with people when you dont circumvent the game by using player created tactics.. The old part of the game is still apart of the game... lack of players is probably why this older content feels like it's a hassle to do..but in all reality.. It's not and it all still involves finding other people to do the content with in order to recieve rewards.. which is what this game is about..
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Umichi View Post
    circumvent the game by using player created tactics
    Firstly, what other kind of tactics are there?

Secondly, what kind of tactics are you talking about even? Stun locking? The simple truth of things like that, which are the only thing I can think of you would call 'circumventing the game', is that SE made TP moves which are to overpowered to be allowed, I mean, the person who thought a TP move with Doom, Weakness, and high DMG was a good idea really needs to quit their job if they think its a fair attack. The thing is, we see more of them every time a new race exists too, I mean even now, Tojil and Muyingwa both use a move which causes Weakness, Dakuwaqa uses 2 moves which cause instant death, and Muyingwa even has a move which gives Zombie Curse. Its safe to say, all of these things are fairly overpowered, I mean, so far as I know Weakness was made to make death matter more, not to be some super enfeeble, instant Death in both conal and AoE forms are highly deadly, as death would suggest, making it impossible to survive the attack if it gets off, and making it impossible to heal someone even thought the same attack that causes the status deals a nice bit of damage, are all very overpowered. So if this is the kind of thing your talking about when people 'circumvent the game' then I wonder, how would you take on these attacks in an event you also have to kill 5 other high powered NMs and then take these down all within 45 minutes?

Also, so far as why old content seems like a hassle, its often also because the rewards, which you admit are what the game is all about, are fairly lackluster in most cases, which leaves people feeling as though its not worth the time. This is especially a problem in some areas where travel is particularly annoying or there are 10 cut-scenes before an actually involving part of what your doing.
    (5)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    By the way gaming industry is losing business to smartphones, rather than buy new consoles and pay $10-$100 per game. $99 cents for a quickie is what more adults are leaning to.
    That's not the only reason why. Its also how long games last, few games will last you longer alone than $60s worth of smaller games will. If you buy 60 $1 games which you spend 3 hours playing in total on average, it means you would have to spend a total of 180 hours on a $60 game to get your monies worth. Some games, like CoD, Halo, or Battlefield, fill this time more than others due to multiplayer, as do MMOs, other games like Skyrim can do the same. But then you come to games like Final Fantasy XIII which you play through 1 time for 30 hours or less and beat it, never to come back, in those cases the game was literally worth $10 for the time you played it, not a worthy investment if you go by the ratio of time entertained vs money paid.

At the end of the day phone games work well because they do not use all the money to make it look shiny and pretty with super duper graphics, they make it a game, make it fun, and make money from it for a cheap price. They also can work with much smaller teams of people, and take less time to make their games, after all, its a phone game, not a full blown 3D super graphic spectacle where it costs them so much to make the game they have to charge $60 a copy to make profit rather than lose money. Its not just because people want a small game they can beat in 10 minutes, but also because most of the time those games actually give you more for your money. I mean on Xbox Live I ended up buying a few different Indie games for only $1 a piece, Breath of Death VII for instance is an old style RPG, looks basic, but is very fun, has a short story of sorts, funny characters, references to many other RPGs like FFX and such, but all in all, I would buy 60 games of its quality before I would buy 1 $60 RPG sold in stores simply because even though it does not look as good, doesn't have as good a story, or anything like that, it will entertain me more than 1/60th of a RPG sold in stores.
    (2)

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96