Character
    Hansikursch
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1

Sekkanoki recast (and a few other things worth mention)

Hi there and stuff, Amanomurakumo/Masamune/Yoichinoyumi/Kogarasumaru owner here with (at the very least) an easy, yet reasonable recommendation for this era of the game's lifetime.

Now, back at Lv.75, Sekkanoki at five minutes was more than enough to reasonably handle any TP overflow that may have occured, and I was absolutely happy with the job ability, through and through (even with Hagun's TP Bonus being shunted on it), and I'm sure /SAM people began to adore it as well upon you guys making it a subbable ability (a smart choice in my opinion, even).

Here we are at Lv.99 on the other hand though, where capping gear haste is a staple to a standard TP set, paired with an impressive amount of DA/TA/QA (and Hasso Zanshin if you're a main Samurai) to benefit from, allowing you to cumulate TP consistently and enjoyably.

Thing is, there are of course times where you over-TP - whether it be idle, or even in combat - and therefore are left with an absurd amount of TP, and not just double, not even triple, but literally at least four more times more often than at 75, you're stuck with TP overflow.

So then - naturally - it dawns on you, "hey, let me use my job ability that solves this issue and allows me to benefit from it not just by being able to WS twice, but skillchain as well!"

...but then you notice it's on recast still because it happened not even four minutes ago.

My recommendation for Sekkanoki: Change it to 3 minutes (180 seconds) recast, from 5 minutes (300 seconds recast), for both main and support job (in case you thought I wanted this to be strictly a change to Samurai).

Now while yes - Samurai is the particular job that has over-TP'ing as a problem by far - I'm sure all the other two-handers would come along to appreciate this change as well, just as much as main Samurai in the long run, given that we're not all robots: We're all humans, and by all means it will happen here and there that you'll get around to hitting your WS button just a smidge too slow.

We're in an era of the game where this ability - while still useful - isn't nearly as impressive as it used to be, simply because of the clunky recast throwing aside its' standard, useful utility for skillchaining (and punching out extra damage in general otherwise) when here you are, needing to drop ~200% TP because obviously you can't wait a full extra minute or two for it to come back up.

Please, I'd really like to see this addressed (and perhaps changed, ideally speaking), because while nobody's pointed it out before, I'm sure many will end up savoring the idea just as much as me in the end.

-

Now, onto another little particular question I have to ask: With the ability Hagakure, is it normal for it to not grant you Save TP if you use it in conjunction with Sekkanoki? Example, say you have Hagakure and Sekkanoki on with 241% TP: You won't be at 181% after the WS, you will in fact be at 141% + your according standard TP return.

I'm just curious about this in particular, because I've felt as if this is in fact unintentional in accordance to the job ability itself, and - while it is a miniscule bug - it is still a bug nonetheless (if it is in fact one, that is).

-

Finally, on an outgoing question, though these are more-so just curiosities rather than something that I feel should be addressed: Why doesn't Samurai - the supposed TP-centric job, as proven by such abilities as Shikikoyo - not have Conserve TP, or Tactical Parry?

Yes, I know, an odd request, but still a bothersome one nonetheless, since while both job traits are honestly quite lacking (Tactical Parry more-so that Conserve TP), I'd simply love to see them paired with the job because they fit right in with the theme of the job, yet... aren't there (why does DRK - a job with the lowest tier of parrying skill - have Tactical Parry, while the job tied with NIN's parrying does not?).

--

Thank you for taking the time to read this whoever - be it player or game developer itself - because I truly do appreciate it.

-Iarumas of Asura
    (8)

Player
    Why doesn't Samurai - the supposed TP-centric job, as proven by such abilities as Shikikoyo - not have Conserve TP, or Tactical Parry?
    Why does DRK have more Elemental Skill than RDM?
    Why does DRK have Critical Attack Bonus but not Critical Hit Abilities or WS?
    Why does RDM have higher sword skill than DRK but DRK can use Sanguine/Vorpal?
    Why can't SCH use Cataclysm but WAR can?
    Why does DRG get Critical Defense Bonus instead of Critical Attack Bonus, DRG has several Crit based Jumps and several crit WS.
    Why does BLU have Rapid Shot?
    Why can Ninjas wear Royal Knight armor and other 'knightly' kinds of armor but Dragoon cannot?
    Why do MNKs have higher parrying than DRKs but DRKs get tactical parry?
    Why can WHM use Convert but RDM can't use Afflatus?
    Why are there 3 earrings you can buy with Imperial Standing that have latent effects active during Arcane/Holy/Warding Circles but no corresponding earring for Ancient Circle?
    Why can RDMs equip certain h2h weapons but have no h2h skill?
    (4)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 01-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Character
    Hansikursch
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1
    Except the difference between my legitimate, random inquiry and your incoherent mockery-turned-rambling there is that I was just simply adding a fair question to my post's original purpose(s), whereas you're just going on about things you've probably never even gave thought of before reading my post here today.

Take it elsewhere please.
    (2)

Player
    A lot of abilities need to have their recasts tuned down further. 10 minute abilities should be no more than three minutes long. The development team has been making improvements here and there and they have talked about speeding this game up a bit more. And there was some hint of special abilities(1-hours) being able to merit them down to 30 minutes eventually. Personally I prefer a 20 minute timer but I'll take any positive change.

I agree with your suggestions. Sekkanoki should have it's recast halved, as well as every other three minute ability, imo.
    (0)
    Last edited by Tanama; 01-30-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    Tanama - Monstrosity Enthusiast

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Why does BLU have Rapid Shot?
    /emote picks up a beer after seeing the question and remembers a night filled with Cthulhu, more explosions than ever Mikel Bay move added together, a featherless yagudo and a panty raid on the marrows of the undead swarm......

you know..... ummmmm we would rather not talk about it, ummmmm imperial classified info and all that.

but on the subject at hand the one job ability i would love to see a time cut on is diffusion, make it 5mins >.>/
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    To the question of hagakure, I believe they changed the way save tp works so now it just stops you going below the amount of tp equivelant to your save tp, so if you have 20 save tp and missed a WS (0 tp return) you would still have 20tp after, so I imagine this would mean unless you would go under 20tp after sekkanoki (119%tp or less and miss the WS) it wouldn't take effect with it.

But I'm just speculating I don't play SAM, so feel free to test it.
    (2)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Character
    Hansikursch
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanama View Post
    A lot of abilities need to have their recasts tuned down further. 10 minute abilities should be no more than three minutes long. The development team has been making improvements here and there and they have talked about speeding this game up a bit more. And there was some hint of special abilities(1-hours) being able to merit them down to 30 minutes eventually. Personally I prefer a 20 minute timer but I'll take any positive change.

I agree with your suggestions. Sekkanoki should have it's recast halved, as well as every other three minute ability, imo.
    Some abilities (first that comes to mind for me is Restraint) honestly deserve a long recast, given their sheer power and benefit, but in the same breath, I suppose it'd be nice to see all ten minute JA's turned to five minute ones with the duration adjusted accordingly, so it's not as often wasted by sitting idle, all because you used the according job ability at an interval you thought was appropriate (and in fact was not).

The reason for justifying Sekkanoki's recast being halved is due to the fact it's not particularly an ability you can thoroughly abuse to increase your damage input full time: If you're WS'ing on the dot accordingly, it may sometimes end up not being used for quite some time, leaving it as non-beneficial, whereas say if Meditate was dropped to 1 minute 30 seconds recast, it'd be a bit ridiculous, you have to admit.

This isn't to say Sekkanoki's the only JA that deserves a recast change, since for example as I stated above, Restraint on five minute recast and then 2 minute 30 seconds duration would be more preferable to 10 minute recast and 5 minute duration to most, if not all the playerbase, simply because this era of XI revolves around shorter-durated fights, compared to before, making flexibility on application of according JA's vital and important.

I'm sure there's a few other JA's to list aside from Restraint that could use some help recast-wise, but I can't remember for the life of me unfortunately, given my exhaustion currently; please keep the thread informed though by all means as to what other ones should be changed.
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    To the question of hagakure, I believe they changed the way save tp works so now it just stops you going below the amount of tp equivelant to your save tp,
    this part is true.

so if you have 20 save tp and missed a WS (0 tp return) or get less than20TP from your WS you would still have 20tp after so I imagine this would mean unless you would go under 40TP after sekkanoki (119%tp or less and miss the WS) it wouldn't take effect with it.
    FTFY
    hagakure is 40saveTP
    save TP doesnt give extra TP but set a minimum TP return value
    (0)
    Last edited by hiko; 02-05-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I know it's 40, I was just using 20 save tp as an example of save tp not of hagakure, if you were actually testing it with hagakure with no other save tp source then yeah it would be 40
    (0)

Character
    Hansikursch
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1
    I can understand the minimum return thing, truly, and it makes sense, but I'd still like to hear from SE for the heck of it as to if it was overlooked or actually intentional to work that way, since it seems a little bit radical to shunt the job ability when it's already rather lackluster on a 3 minute recast in the first place anyways.
    (0)