Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50

Please make the new UI a positive experience

One of the most frustrating and infuriating aspects of XI for me is the current UI's assumption I'm an idiot who doesn't mean what he says.

I'm talking about talking to NPCs.

Why is it that 99% of all NPC dialogs I use to trigger actions include a tedious "Do you really mean it?" step? Worse, not only doesn't the game think I know what I'm doing, it assumes I don't because the default option I get if I just hit ENTER is the "No I don't" one?

There are rare exceptions, notable by their scarcity.

One is the dialog you have when to exist the docks in Selbina and Mahaura, with these the default is "Yes I do mean it". Another is the even rarer case where my clicking "I want to do this" doesn't pop up a time-wasting "Do you mean it", the NPC just DOES IT. The only case of this is the warp NPCs in Windurst.

Most "Do you mean its" are pointless and seem solely there to protect the lazy and thoughtless from the results of their own stupidity in not concentrating, but when the assumed reply is "No I don't mean it" these just get infuriating.

Yes, this is entirely trivial, but it's a never-ending source of annoyance, and when faced with innumerable cases of 'dialog lag' of a second or more it just makes it more so.

If you INSIST on questioning every action I ask an NPC to do there's no reason to assume the 'No' case in these "Do you mean it?"s.

Oh, one more thing while I'm ranting, why oh why do you insist on us hitting ENTER to acknowledge and entirely pointless "Have a nice say!" final comment from an NPC, such as the Outpost Warp NPCs?

It takes long enough to navigate the OP list, then deal with the "Do you mean it" where we have to select payment method .. BTW, this "Do you mean it" actually is less than helpful because it doesn't actually tell you the option you've selected! .. why do we then have to hit ENTER again to get the damned NPC to actually do it?

This dialog is a classic piece of crappy UI. It should be doable in TWO CLICKS:

1) Select "Teleport using Gil" or "Teleport using CPs"
    2) Select destination from the list.

That's IT, that's all that should be needed. If you MUST foist a "Do you mean it?" on us then it should default to YES and be the final ENTER needed to do it.

This game is littered with this sort of tedious NPC waffle and pointless "Do you mean its", please, with the new UI, let's lose the negativity, can we?
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I'm just hoping for one-button-clickable macro keys that don't take holding CTRL/ALT to engage. It's one of those things that drives people from more modern MMO's crazy, I've found.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Mifaco
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The design thinking behind this is that, by default, your character should never be forced to do anything they don't absolutely want to do if it could possibly negatively impact them. Stupid, but you see this in a lot of Japanese games where the game asks you "Are you SURE you want to pick up the ammo?" "Climb up the ladder?" "Push the button?"
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy View Post
    One of the most frustrating and infuriating aspects of XI for me is the current UI's assumption I'm an idiot who doesn't mean what he says.

I'm talking about talking to NPCs.

Why is it that 99% of all NPC dialogs I use to trigger actions include a tedious "Do you really mean it?" step? Worse, not only doesn't the game think I know what I'm doing, it assumes I don't because the default option I get if I just hit ENTER is the "No I don't" one?

There are rare exceptions, notable by their scarcity.

One is the dialog you have when to exist the docks in Selbina and Mahaura, with these the default is "Yes I do mean it". Another is the even rarer case where my clicking "I want to do this" doesn't pop up a time-wasting "Do you mean it", the NPC just DOES IT. The only case of this is the warp NPCs in Windurst.

Most "Do you mean its" are pointless and seem solely there to protect the lazy and thoughtless from the results of their own stupidity in not concentrating, but when the assumed reply is "No I don't mean it" these just get infuriating.

Yes, this is entirely trivial, but it's a never-ending source of annoyance, and when faced with innumerable cases of 'dialog lag' of a second or more it just makes it more so.

If you INSIST on questioning every action I ask an NPC to do there's no reason to assume the 'No' case in these "Do you mean it?"s.

Oh, one more thing while I'm ranting, why oh why do you insist on us hitting ENTER to acknowledge and entirely pointless "Have a nice say!" final comment from an NPC, such as the Outpost Warp NPCs?

It takes long enough to navigate the OP list, then deal with the "Do you mean it" where we have to select payment method .. BTW, this "Do you mean it" actually is less than helpful because it doesn't actually tell you the option you've selected! .. why do we then have to hit ENTER again to get the damned NPC to actually do it?

This dialog is a classic piece of crappy UI. It should be doable in TWO CLICKS:

1) Select "Teleport using Gil" or "Teleport using CPs"
    2) Select destination from the list.

That's IT, that's all that should be needed. If you MUST foist a "Do you mean it?" on us then it should default to YES and be the final ENTER needed to do it.

This game is littered with this sort of tedious NPC waffle and pointless "Do you mean its", please, with the new UI, let's lose the negativity, can we?
    The thing you're ocmplaining about isn't something that can be fixed by the new UI, because it's a dialogue script, not a UI component- and it has to be compatible with the old UI.

Also, I have to disagree with you on the premise- It is never a bad thing to ask people "Are you sure?"

ALL of those "Are you sure"s exist because somebody wasn't sure, or somebody acidentally made the wrong choice.
    (2)