Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Why? How does Abyssea contaminate the results?
    Because, and this is the rare case that Fantards are right, Abyssean mobs are weak for being high level. It could skew the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon
    What exactly were your results?
    Lower than suggested by the math in some cases, higher in others. This could be accounted for by one or more hits from the weapon skill in question missing, or a particular mob being higher level or lower than others in their group, double or triple attacks proc, phases of the moon, or any of a number of reasons not made apparent when the numbers are generated.

Such is the nature of dice rolling.

How could it have been a critical hit when no merited weapon skill can even be critical?
    Ah, my apologies. I made a mistake on that.

What job, WS, what was your gear, how many samples?
    At the time, Ninja was the only job in which I could reliably make the test on. That's because I lacked mind gear for Blue Mage, and still do. So I used Blade: Shun naked, single handed, dual wielding, TP gear, AF3, dexterity gear, and agility gear against a wide range of normal monsters all over the game. Hundreds of monsters taken each day, under different circumstances.

The results were disappointing, as I expected them to be.

All that work and that was it? It's square, trolling their paying customers. As usual.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Of course they can get rid of the blinking. Just stop the game from loading new gear while you are in combat, except for weapons. People have been able to do this through reverse engineering without even looking at the source code, of course SE is able to do it if they just want to.
    That doesn't get rid of blinking. It only changes when you blink.

Honestly, with <stal> removing most greif associated with blinking, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a redesign of the loading system such that you just change from one piece of gear to the next without blinking. All it takes pre-loading the new model before changing it, but obviously you can't do that on the PS2 due to lack of memory...
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    That doesn't get rid of blinking. It only changes when you blink.

Honestly, with <stal> removing most greif associated with blinking, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a redesign of the loading system such that you just change from one piece of gear to the next without blinking. All it takes pre-loading the new model before changing it, but obviously you can't do that on the PS2 due to lack of memory...
    Way to get caught up in unimportant details. It solves a lot of the problems. Alternatively, stop the a character from blinking when you have that character selected. This is also possible to make happen without even having access to the source code of the game.

But clearly, if a change only fixes 80% of blinking issues, it is completely worthless and shouldn't be added, right? It's much better to keep all the blinking in there instead of removing as many as you realistically can, am I right?

As for Tisscar, how large were your sample sizes? If you did a decent test, you should have all the raw data stored somewhere, right? If you're right, just show this to us and mathematics will prove you right. Unless you're wrong, of course, then they will also prove you wrong.

Or maybe this isn't as much about proof as it is about hunches.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-21-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    As for Tisscar, how large were your sample sizes? If you did a decent test, you should have all the raw data stored somewhere, right? If you're right, just show this to us and mathematics will prove you right. Unless you're wrong, of course, then they will also prove you wrong.
    The test size was frigging ginormous. Hundreds of monsters every day, except for weekends (had to preserve my sanity somehow), all the results written by hand and calculated to the most excruciating detail.

Unfortunately I no longer have the results around, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. You choose any one normal mob outside of Abyssea and I will rerun the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Or maybe this isn't as much about proof as it is about hunches.
    I had a hunch, yes. I designed a hypothisis from this as well as a way to test it, as well as defined what would convince me that i was wrong. I ran a series of tests looking to confirm or bust my hunch. The results confirmed my initial hunch.

This is science, not just believing "If you're not macroing you're doing it wrong" or "Macroing makes you a better player" without confirming it for myself.

Trust, but verify.
    (1)
    Last edited by Trisscar; 01-21-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Way to get caught up in unimportant details. It solves a lot of the problems.
    The devil is in the details, as they say.

<stal> solves the problems of not being able to target people that keep blinking. This isn't a problem that needs solving beyond finding a way to get rid of blinking completely, or finding a way to have the engine keep the player's collision box and name plate onscreen while the model is changing, so that there is still something to target.

Use a macro, and put <stal> in it. Target via the party windos. Some people don't realize this, but if you're one who types out spell/ability commands, you can do <stal> there too.
    (1)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisscar View Post
    The test size was frigging ginormous. Hundreds of monsters every day, except for weekends (had to preserve my sanity somehow), all the results written by hand and calculated to the most excruciating detail.

Unfortunately I no longer have the results around, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. You choose any one normal mob outside of Abyssea and I will rerun the test.

I had a hunch, yes. I designed a hypothisis from this as well as a way to test it, as well as defined what would convince me that i was wrong. I ran a series of tests looking to confirm or bust my hunch. The results confirmed my initial hunch.

This is science, not just believing "If you're not macroing you're doing it wrong" or "Macroing makes you a better player" without confirming it for myself.

Trust, but verify.
    Well yours is the only testing I know of that says gear swapping isnt worth the time, unless of course you are using an extremely small sample size. You literally need thousands of kills in each gear set to test this correctly and since it has been done and there are extensive test results online (google it, easy to find) there must have been a flaw or small sample size in your data.

Fact is if you dont like gear swapping just dont do it. But also dont complain when you are slower to kill or just not able to kill something that others are. And gear swapping doesnt just go for damage, there are alot of things that you can gear swap for that makes a huge difference, healing, enhancing, enfeebling, nuking, casting time, etc. It all makes a difference. If your a healer dont complain either, switch your macros to <stal> or <stpt>, it will make your life and your parties life easier. But if you wanna complain and not heal me because you are too lazy or stubborn to do such a simple rewrite to your macros, its going to get harder and harder to find groups to pt with.

If stats literally made no difference in damage/ws/magic calculations there would be no str +10 gear or enhancing magic +5 or magic attack +7 gear or really any heavily sought after gear. You could just run out with lvl 7 leather armor and slay ADL with the same ease and in the same amount of time as any other high lvl piece of gear.

You also cannot give a valid arguement against macros if you 'lost' your test data, that right there tells me your either a liar, one of these anti-macro crusaders or just dont understand the system and would rather complain than learn. You can tell me to trust you all you want but if you cant give me your sample sizes, test results and calculations your arguement goes quickly out the window.
    (12)
    Last edited by Elphy; 01-21-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The devil is in the details, as they say.

<stal> solves the problems of not being able to target people that keep blinking. This isn't a problem that needs solving beyond finding a way to get rid of blinking completely, or finding a way to have the engine keep the player's collision box and name plate onscreen while the model is changing, so that there is still something to target.

Use a macro, and put <stal> in it. Target via the party windos. Some people don't realize this, but if you're one who types out spell/ability commands, you can do <stal> there too.
    stal doesn't work outside of your alliance, and i dunno about other people, but I don't want to make a macro for every single spell in my list (not to mention that I don't know if I even have enough macro space for that if i want to do that for several jobs and subjob combinations). Some of the rarely used stuff, I just select manually from the list. Blinking screws this up, but if the client specifically delayed blinking for characters that are selected by you, all the problems would disappear. The blink could come after deselected them again.
    (3)

Sorry but I have to agree that without being able to show exact figures (with duplicatable method/instructions), its all just heresay. That is how real scientific/mathematical proof works
    (5)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    stal doesn't work outside of your alliance,
    rare exception to the rule, and more and more content these days is not allowing outside help, making it less of a valid point.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisscar View Post

Trust, but verify.
    Absolutely hilarious that you would call your testing science. If you really tested hundreds of mobs, as you claim, then you have effectively wasted your time.

Here is actual "science," or rather "mathematics" as we, people who know what they're talking about, call it:

Go to ffxi wiki, search for calculating weapon skill damage, plug in your shi**y weapon skill sets, then plug in a weapon skill set that actually makes sense, and compare the two. You are absolutely incorrect in your assumptions. It is a mathematical FACT that you are 100% wrong. Stop arguing otherwise.
    (11)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast